Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4K and large monitors

[quote=DRG;852422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

Just to clarify something that perhaps need clarification.

My point about the game engine being old was exactly that. .

And my point was if you or anyone else has issues with windowed mode and long for a return to full-screen mode you can get that using the borderless gaming app

I never had problem with windowed mode, at least as far as I remember right now, but ok.
Old April 30th, 2022, 06:27 PM

Corporal

lansoar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

SP3 was not a very good engine - I know, I was a playetester for SSI on that.
Did you playtest for SP2 by chance?
Old May 1st, 2022, 03:20 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansoar View Post
Quote:

SP3 was not a very good engine - I know, I was a playetester for SSI on that.
Did you playtest for SP2 by chance?
No, not for that game
Old May 1st, 2022, 08:25 PM

Corporal

[quote=Mobhack;852429][quote=lansoar;852426]
Quote:

No, not for that game
ah. Officially me neither. Cut my teeth on SP2 though. I bugged the historical consultant big time thus establishing my PitA credentials. Think his name was Jim Worth....might be wrong. I remember complaining about SAM ineffectiveness and how I'd double ACC to get something decent.....like Stingers with AC 110 in my mod. Also commented on how the singular weapons of SP2 had bad effects when going back in time.....classic example was the 105mm NATO L7. SP2 to WinSBT is a long evolution. amazing game. Used to play it night and day. Wish I still had that much free time!

In defense of WAW, a lot of good ideas were attempted, some more successful than others. Had development continued, it might be a contender to this day.....though I have doubts, mainly due to the seemingly inherent vulnerability of soft units in the SP3 engine of which WAW was based on.

Ultimately I think the game suffered from over-focus on armored vehicle combat.....the Hollywood stars of the show in other words. Thus more humble but vital elements, mainly INF were left with little to no modification from the SP3 engine. Europe and North African scenarios were the most popular so the Pacific scenarios where INF battles and limited armor support in unfriendly tank terrain suffered as a result.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 10:56 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jim Worth
I sent him a few OOB requests back in the day when SP2 came out.

SSI had decided that every British AFV had to have the "FV" numbers as part of thier name. presumably because they were used to the USA using M113, M60 etc. Whereas we Brits never, ever used the FV numbers barring the FV432, because our American allies sniggered at its given name of "Trojan", I believe, why IDK! Also for the M109 and other USA supplied SP-arty. But for vehicles the "proper" name was always used. "Chieftain", "Fox" etc.

As one of the Permanent Staff Instructors told us back when I was in the TA, "Them numbers are for shiny-trousered stores clerks, train spotters and sad anoracks. This is called an SLR, not a f~~g L1A1". Followed by me doing three laps running round the drill hall with weapon held over my head shouting out "This is my rifle, This is my SLR!" or some such pithy phrase the PSI desired to get the point across.

So I requested a change from Jim Worth - but that never happened. I think SP2 got 1 or maybe 2 bug fixes. (One allowed PBEM replay if you had 1 MB(?) of memory, a huge amount then!). OOB data was not part of that IIRC.

Someone - forget who - had done an OOB editor for SP1, I contacted him to see if he was planning on making an SP2 one, but he wasn't interested. However he did pass onto me the offsets to the various data fields, and I used that for Kobhack, my SP2 OOB editor. Now I had UK OOBs with "Chieftain Mk 1" and no silly FV-numbers and "SLR" instead of "L1A1"!

My work on the editor got me an invite to be on the playtest team for SP3. I thinks I made an OOB editor for that game, but cannot recall. SP3 was not very good, I knew that from playtesting, and it seemed not to sell very well. Didn't stay on my HDD long after the release.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 02:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Just to interject this little trip down Geezer Memory lane.

"KOBHack" was your SP3 editor since SP3 used KOBxx format OOB's. MOBHack was the SP2 editor and used MOBxx format hence why both of these games still use "MOBHack" even though our OOB's use spobxxx and Obatxxx

You can find a copy here.. Post #5

https://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?p=834919

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 3rd, 2022, 05:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Someone - forget who - had done an OOB editor for SP1
Jim Bello

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 3rd, 2022, 06:13 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

So basically I was the only one on the planet who had fun playing SP3. Interesting.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 07:20 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Quote:
Jim Worth
I sent him a few OOB requests back in the day when SP2 came out.
I didn't get much traction on the SAM thing either...though I note that WinSP has much much higher ACC values now and they are generally much more dangerous. (which I am thankful for....that and better Helicopter staying power....so annoying to have my birds go into retreat mode after a few bullets shot in their direction)

The Singular weapon issue that might equip tanks going from "modern" 1990s all the way back to the 70s did in fact get a responding email from Jim, acknowledging the problem. Because of the way the code works of course, the solution was and remains.....to create many different versions of the same weapon (like the 105mm NATO gun) with different sub designations and different PEN and other values. Made playing Warsaw Pact a lot more fun and less frustrating. I remember some players seeing even the strongest Soviet tanks of the 70s/80s eras being destroyed with ease at near max range by 105 armed tanks (using 1990s desert storm ammo values) as "proof" that Soviet equipment was junk....regardless of era.

Quote:
SSI had decided that every British AFV had to have the "FV" numbers as part of thier name. presumably because they were used to the USA using M113, M60 etc. Whereas we Brits never, ever used the FV numbers barring the FV432, because our American allies sniggered at its given name of "Trojan", I believe, why IDK! Also for the M109 and other USA supplied SP-arty. But for vehicles the "proper" name was always used. "Chieftain", "Fox" etc.
lol. Have to admit, I struggle at times with the historical German language designations for units and groups in WinSPWW2. I tend to get lost after "Panzer".

anyway long story short....I moved into play testing for Matrix starting with WAW....then Uncommon Valor...then developer/tester/historical consultant for War in the Pacific and WitP Admiral's edition. Fun times for a period when I had far more time and energy for such passion projects. Now I just sit in my rocking chair and play WinSP along with a return to air Simms.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 07:25 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
So basically I was the only one on the planet who had fun playing SP3. Interesting.
I did play it a little back in the 90s. It was interesting to play for larger campaigns but to be honest, it was stretching the game engine to the breaking point. Battles often just ended up being slaughterfests as firing exchanges of mass destruction as you watched tank units with big sets of numbers over them go from 12 down to 0 in a matter of seconds. Then there was the previous mentioned Firehose effect on soft targets with any weapon handy. The humanity!

Had some fun with large scale Arab-Israel engagements for a brief period but that was about it.