Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Can you tell me about the Fountain of Blood? - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 7th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you tell me about the Fountain of Blood?

I always liked the Fountain of Blood, but reading some strategy guide it seems like a common strategy just to take it to have it hunt blood slaves.

Is there any nation I'll regret taking it with, and how should I or how do you set it up?

If this gets interesting responses, maybe I'll ask about other interesting pretenders, like the Lady of Fortune.
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can you tell me about the Fountain of Blood?

The fountain has a really good blood hunt boost. Thing is, you'll get a lot of unrest in the hunted province. This can be painful if you hunt in your capital. It's presumably a good thing to take A2 or S3 if you're planning on hunting with it more than once in a while, because then you can move the fountain to a more appropriate location.

Edit: Lady of Fortune and a couple of others have a % chance of caqusing a good event in the province they occupy, IIRC.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Private

anonymity is on a distinguished road

Well, the fountain is nice, but being immobile you need Astral (or Air) to be able to blood hunt wherever you want through teleport/cloud trapeze. Personally I prefer a mobile pretender, but the immobile ones simply can't be used as early combatants, which means there isn't the temptation to make SCs or site-searchers out of them, which means it's easier to justify putting them to dormant.

You can technically speaking give any pretender blood as a magic path if all you want to do is blood hunt. The other good plus to the blood fountain is that under the CBM mod it generates blood slaves every turn.
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:30 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Another note, the Fountain gets an income of 3 bloodslaves every turn in CBM, which can be useful for starting some blood stuff without having to hunt your cap.
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

I did not know that the Fountain of Blood could use Cloud Trapeze, I assumed it had to teleport.

But it also seem to be able to hunt out a province by itself, often filling itself up on blood slaves every turn (30/turn). While this might not be OK in the first few turns for your capital, I could see how it might be OK for a short while if you had to research something other than moving the FoB, just because with a fire path the FoB can forge Soul contracts fairly regularly, even if you don't yet have other stuff to forge with the blood slaves.
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

You can blood hunt and patrol your capital at 100% taxes, pop loss will be less than growth-3 scale. If you've got free patrollers its not too painful to bloodhunt in your cap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baalz For This Useful Post:
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

The blood fountain also makes you vulnerable to a 10% poploss bad event in the province it is in. That event used to be bugged and triggered on the presence of unit 665 (Principes) instead of unit 656 (Blood Fountain), but it was fixed in about patch 3.20 or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

Has the Fountain of Blood ever let you any of you down?

No one made any indication that the FoB was ever a bad choice of pretender, and I asked that specifically, so, I thought that that was very interesting.
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

like most immobile pretenders, its good as a bless chassis, or otherwise custom tailored to some special purpose. It doesn't really have any general uses. As such, its hard to be let down by it if you build it to do what you want.

That said, there are some roles that it cannot fill. So if you need, eg, a forger or an SC out of your pretender, its a bad choice. But you wouldn't even think about taking it then.
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Private

anonymity is on a distinguished road

With pretenders like the FoB, you build it around its weaknesses. Obviously if I were to, say, build a FoB without teleport capability then I'd be a little pissed off that it couldn't move if I needed it to. But since you knew that from the start, it's not so much "let you down" as already compensated for its weaknesses. If I wanted an SC + blood magic, I would have taken a Moloch, or if that wasn't available, maybe a Wyrm with added blood.

One thing to keep in mind is with only misc slots the FoB can only use certain boosters. No Earth Boots for example, or Starshine Cap. This is more relavent for astral pretenders like the Oracle or the Monolith as it affects how you climb the astral booster tree up to Ring of Wizardry and then to Wish. For other pretenders like the FoB, it can affect what boosters are available for summoning uniques or casting globals.