.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:02 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Admin Brain storm HoF improvments, RP elements, ladder etc

Hi,

This post by zlefin is the trigger for this discussion. GP has also made this interesting suggestion. Some further opinions were presented in that thread so this worth reading.

I personally like GP's idea of a pantheon. It has awesome RP value.
We could form factions according to, say, magic paths. Factions could have inner rankings so there would be a leader god and then lesser ones. Gods that bring victories to the faction gets promoted over time etc.

It's way better than just HoF since its RP fun, adds (good) drama and the reward system is more fair and continuous (as in *not* discrete).

This thread is for brain storming and then hopefully coming up with a formula that will make MP dominions game experience that much more fun and rewarding for all players. So sharpen your imagination, creativity and leverage past MP experience to help make that happen

Last edited by WraithLord; September 22nd, 2009 at 07:36 AM..
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brain storm HoF improvments, RP elements, ladder etc

I like how gods have titles, but it's unfortunate the titles are just FLUFF. Ideally the titles should be earned during the game and/or provide some type of value... yet this would just have to wait for Dominions_4.

I do like the ranking method zlefin is suggesting.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:26 AM

First Lieutenant

Aethyr is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...perhaps I'm missing something, but zlefin's suggestion (which I think is absolutely awesome) is not necessarily mutually exclusive to what is being suggested in this thread. Am I missing something?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM

Corporal

Festin is on a distinguished road

I think this is a great idea, and will, among other things, make diplomacy in the games far more interesting (I have always disliked the "winner takes all" aspect of Dominions a bit).
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im all for it of course. The game supports many more types of games than we tend to see. Sometimes we get a wrong impression because the interesting variants show up only rarely amoung the general flood of competition games on small to mid sized maps.

I particularly loved the RolePlay games with the wiki element. I spent alot of time with a macro hotkey generating the same god over and over in order to get a specific set of titles I felt would fit the god I wanted to play. Reading the various stories from each nation was fantastic.

Something Id like to see more of is for the authors of nation-mods to create games of players vs AI where they play the mod to its strengths. I feel that would be a good game for newbies in particular to give them a feel for MP play, alliances, diplomacy, trading, etc without the concerns about being too naive. Setup a modded nation with multiple castles and pre-ownership of 1/4 of the map forcing a "unite or die" situation.

We have had some interesting threads which discussed game variants.

Gandalf Parker
--
Some people NEED menus.
All options open with no menu list appears to them to be no options at all.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

How about a completely different idea, somewhat along the lines of John Milton (Better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven).
When players are faced with being defeated they get the choice to become a servant (let their conquerer take their stuff), fight until they are destroyed, or to leave the world bound for a hellish plane (destroying the stuff they take and going AI).
Everyone who chooses the last has a chance to take some of his units and research with him. With these units the players can duke it out on a small wasteland (no income whatsoever, no domkill) hell map for the title lord of hell. Players who go to hell to early would be obviously disadvantaged, but could be given some extra time to organize against those that come later with SCs etc.