.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 4th, 2012, 12:07 AM

Corporal

Snacktime is on a distinguished road
Default SP dominion kills on turn 1

Lately when I start SP games, I find multiple AI nations eliminated on turn 1 by dominion kill. I don't understand why that's happening. I mean how is it even possible to lose all dominion on turn 1? These are large enough maps that they should be a few provinces away from any other capital.

Any ideas? It's annoying.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SP dominion kills on turn 1

I've played lots of SP games and never had this happen. What settings are you using? How many provinces per player, what difficulty?
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:28 AM

Sergeant

BewareTheBarnacleGoose is on a distinguished road

I've had AIs die on turn 1 when I play on a map with fixed starts but accidentally chose too many AIs. Could that be what happened?
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

Admiral_Aorta is an unknown quantity at this point

The AI is really dumb and sometimes takes really low dominion on their pretenders. This combined with dominion reducing events and other nations close by can result in a domkill.
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:26 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

I'd also add that the AI is really incompetent with some nations. For instance, Mictlan doesn't get automatic temple checks, and as such tend to die horribly (despite being a domkilling powerhouse nation).
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:51 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I'm not surprised if it was Mictlan. Mictlan has a special property whereby their dominion is not spread by temples etc.. This is easy to overcome by blood sacrifice, but the AI won't do that.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Corporal

Kelan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareTheBarnacleGoose View Post
I've had AIs die on turn 1 when I play on a map with fixed starts but accidentally chose too many AIs. Could that be what happened?
Yeah, it is more than likely this, imho. I had this problem recently testing a map for MP and had this happen systematically every time (Especially since you say that multiple AIs are killing off). Test it a few times with the same map and same number of players and if this is the problem it will happen every time.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If you turn on debug it will often tell you what is happening. (also helpful when testing a map for MP)

Im guessing this is vanilla (no mods involved)? There are maps, mods, 3rd party programs to improve AI and soloplay.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Corporal

Snacktime is on a distinguished road

I'm using CBM 1.92. This happened to me on a couple maps, but yes I believe they are maps I downloaded with fixed starts, so it may be that i added more AI than fixed starts. Still, pretty asinine and I'm still surprised how much I'm seeing it happen. It seems like even if the AI picked stupidly low dominion, he'd still only be dom killed on turn one if you have a very close high-dom neighbor or some unlucky event. In one start like 5 nations died from dom-kill on turn one! I feel like something else must be going on here.

As far as ways to make the AI play less dumbly, I am all ears. Better Independents helps but of course doesn't make their pretender design any less dumb or avoid these turn one dominion kills.

I tried starting with all nations human so I could design their pretenders, but then when I converted to AI control I couldn't figure out how to increase the AI default difficulty, so overall I didn't see how this would help in the long run. Is there a way to set difficulty when you are converting from human to AI?
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If you turn on debug you can see how much trouble the game goes thru trying to place many nations on small maps. The variables are extensive.

The SemiRand program is one of the things designed to fix the bad gods problem. The pretender, scales, dominion level, etc are better. (or at least as good as a human player altho it could still use some help from players in choosing better for AI)

The AI difficulty level is mostly just how many points it has to create the pretender and choose scales. You can turn off cheat-check but that still doenst give you extra build points. But you can text a file that builds better pretenders and scales with more points than you would be allowed to use, then attach them to a map.

Here is one of the threads discussing other AI improvements.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44783