.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 1st, 2009, 08:38 AM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs vs. Vets II: Mysterio's Revenge, EA, CBM, Game running.

Guys, I need a 24hr extension. I had planned to do my turn last night but I had to help a friend move and it ran way too long and I was totally wiped when I finally got home. And now I have to head to work and then go help him pack out again (he was supposed to be out today, the 1st, but he still isnt!@).
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM

Corporal

darloth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingchih View Post
Yes, that was supposed to be three Jarls hitting your cap darloth, not one.
That's sad to hear. I would have liked to see the actual outcome of that, as with just the one jarl, my PD and elephants killed him before my attempt at thugs even got close. For that reason, I wouldn't say the movement bug is the ONLY reason I won... it almost certainly meant I won without losing anything really expensive, true.

You'll probably have better luck next time.
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:09 PM

Sergeant

Stretch is on a distinguished road

Has anyone discussed a Pro-Am for NvV3? 1 Vet + 1 noob per team, if we have disparate numbers of players signing up then we can do some teams with 3 noobs instead. If team A's 1st player picked first, its second player would pick last. We'd have to figure out where the teams of 3 would pick but you get the idea.

Working with skilled players in the other game I'm in has taught me a lot. Plus, no forum needed, just private messaging on this forum.
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

namad is on a distinguished road

the general premise for preponderance1 was that each time would have a skilled and a less skilled player... although it ended up being the case that some teams had two skilled players because there weren't enough people signing up? i'm not totally sure... i definitely remember something zeldor posted in the beginnings of the thread about this...

i'm not sure if zeldor is planning to try and get something like this going for preponderance2 but it would be a bit silly to start starting two games with the same premise at the same time
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM

Sergeant

Stretch is on a distinguished road

I looked at the beginning of that thread and saw

Quote:
Teaming Rules: [may be relieved if we don't have enough people]
- no hardcore teaming [so 2 of the best of the best cannot play in one team]
- no newbies [unless teamed with experienced player]
Maybe that changed later on, though. I guess with 2 of these NvV games done that many of the new players might be getting above the 5 MP games or less mark in any case.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darloth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingchih View Post
Yes, that was supposed to be three Jarls hitting your cap darloth, not one.
That's sad to hear. I would have liked to see the actual outcome of that, as with just the one jarl, my PD and elephants killed him before my attempt at thugs even got close. For that reason, I wouldn't say the movement bug is the ONLY reason I won... it almost certainly meant I won without losing anything really expensive, true.

You'll probably have better luck next time.
I think with the three Jarls, it would have been a tossup. You had a good patrolling force in there, but three Jarls could have wiped out those pesky Behemoths earlier. Your nationals can't really hurt multiple Jarls much, and the Banes probably would not have lasted long either. They don't have enough HP. The Jarls do an average of 50 hp on a hit. Those banes would die in one hit.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll get to try it all again before too long.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:38 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhawk View Post
Guys, I need a 24hr extension. I had planned to do my turn last night but I had to help a friend move and it ran way too long and I was totally wiped when I finally got home. And now I have to head to work and then go help him pack out again (he was supposed to be out today, the 1st, but he still isnt!@).
No prob. I'm extending the turn another 24 hours for Caelum and Helheim.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:51 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Ahh, I may have forgotten to mention that I am not going on vacation this week. I had to cancel. I will be out of town sometime this month, but should be able to do my turns myself.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:35 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Has anyone discussed a Pro-Am for NvV3? 1 Vet + 1 noob per team, if we have disparate numbers of players signing up then we can do some teams with 3 noobs instead. If team A's 1st player picked first, its second player would pick last. We'd have to figure out where the teams of 3 would pick but you get the idea.

Working with skilled players in the other game I'm in has taught me a lot. Plus, no forum needed, just private messaging on this forum.
The idea has been brought up variously at times, though I've always been willing to consider it, I generally have resisted it as other games usually incorporate that idea in some fashion. I'd like to keep the game concept as pure as possible at least through NvV 3. Some argue you can learn more by playing with vets, I had argued that you can learn best by playing against them. It is debatable. There is also the thrill of facing the unknown. The concept is not for everyone, some green noobs are scared stiff of going up against legends of the game, while some vets baulk at the idea of facing 2:1 or even 3:1 odds. I do admire the bravery of all who have participated and continue to do so.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:25 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Teaming with the vets is probably more educational. Teaming against the vets is probably more fun (for both sides).