.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Private

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Question Sell me on this game.

Like the Scallywag board all over again, this has suddenly become nifty seeming for me and has me thusly tempted to make a purchase.

How's it stand, here and now, in 2009? I'm a big Roguelike fan, hence getting Scallywag, and it SEEMS like there's some familiar elements in play here. Stability? Activity going forward versus the stasis on Scallywag?

Unleash the good word upon me if you please.
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sell me on this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post

How's it stand, here and now, in 2009? I'm a big Roguelike fan, hence getting Scallywag, and it SEEMS like there's some familiar elements in play here. Stability? Activity going forward versus the stasis on Scallywag?
Well, it's always been very stable so no worries there. Regarding activity looks like the last mod being worked on was in February, which isn't bad when you consider the game was released in late 2005.

Modding is slightly more involved than Scallywag, but still easier than your average game and you can find plenty of info on modding.

And if you do get into modding it one thing to keep in mind is that if you're feeling ambitious you don't have to keep the sci-fi theme. With some elbow grease you can pretty much change it into something like a Greek epic, with a lost ship in the Aegean, or perhaps traveling the wastelands in a souped up car battling evil gangs.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM

Private

armaankhan is on a distinguished road

WW is incredibly stable and it holds up really well compared to modern games. Definitely one of the most fun games I've played in recent memory.

I think the game really sells itself. You should try out the demo and if you like that, you're sure to love the full game.
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:24 PM

Corporal

clomaka is on a distinguished road

I've got to say that it was the mods that sold it for me - Even Weirder Worlds, Added Content, Babyon Project. Thay all added a ton of replayability to an already good game.
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Private

Though I'm sure it unsurprising to Krol, the game disc is now on the way in the mail after it gets processed and whatnot. Hard to say when I'll get to it backlog wise...especially considering my aims on Scallywag...but still.

Thanks for the prods folks, those plus various reviews sealed the deal.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

Excellent indeed, getter77. Weird Worlds though is a game that you shouldn't be concerned with your backlog about since it plays so quick it's perfect for jumping in, playing, and then jumping to something else.
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:11 AM

Private

Heh, but you forget my habit of crazed marathoning! Not to mention sometimes an average Roguelike game can last all of 5 minutes depending...

I'm getting closer on my backlog woes. Going to soon start a method whereby I'll dedicate one day of the week to gaming, probably Sundays, aiming to thusly quell my backlog going from the shortest to the longest of the denizens of it. The other days in the week will be relative to the aims for Scallywag and other such endeavors...will probably post my secret plan on Roguetemple as it is pretty crazy(and I lack a website...) and then proceed to implement it.