Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old July 28th, 2020, 02:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: APC Development and related topics.

They arrived in Germany for testing in Dec 2017 and I have adjusted the date we have in the game now to reflect that. This game is all about " what if" and as of December 2017 there were some for in place for " what if" or are we talking about a different vehicle?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 28th, 2020, 11:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: APC Development and related topics.

Just got home. STRYKER DRAGOON was there (2017) for evaluation only IAW with the current contracts with the now 4 industry corporations involved in the current evaluation ongoing process. That FUE is straight from the USA, all I did was convert "Fiscal Quarters" to their corresponding months and calendar year.

This is in "limbo" right now with the congressional investigation currently ongoing. Again WHY did the other 2 companies drop from the evaluation? Congress wants to know is there a problem as yet undisclosed? Is the STRYKER DRAGOON turret not compatible with the vehicle?

It is important to understand the USA did the development of this piece of equipment and built it from "off the shelf" parts. What could possibly go wrong there?

They are the ones to open it up and chose the defense contractors to further evaluate this equipment because you need industry to mass produce it and develop or improve future and current technologies.

Based on my readings of the refs and more STRYKER DRAGOON is looking more "Putting the Cart before the Horse".

USA should've set the design parameters and operational requirements.

Industry should've designed and submitted the PROTOTYPEs.

And we all how the rest goes from there...I suspect an issue with the turret possibly making the platform unstable somehow.

All I know for sure is the USA has pushed back the date before it equips the FIRST Army Unit.

It sucks but, I can't get around that.

I'm back a little later (Why? )...

"Quick bites" with a couple of my questions asked from above now answered below concerning the 2 "dropouts".

First PROTOTYPE 26 January 2017
https://www.army.mil/article/177472/...ivered_to_army

Competition extended 13 April 2020 Focus on Para #3
https://www.globaldefensecorp.com/20...etition-again/

Add on #1...

From this early ref. 2 May 2018.
"In FY17, the Army conducted full-up system-level (FUSL) live fire testing of the ICV-D to assess platform survivability against a spectrum of operationally realistic threats. ]Preliminary assessments demonstrate that stowed 30 mm ammunition on the ICV-D represents a unique platform vulnerability that is not present on other vehicles in the Stryker fleet. Underbody protection afforded by the ICV-D is limited due to the flat-bottom Stryker hull.

In FY17, the Army also conducted a user excursion using soldiers from the 2nd Cavalry Regiment (2CR) to validate development of gunnery training tables to support the operational test in February 2018 in Germany."

The chassis has the Double V-Hull underbody as noted in #3.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/may_...up_poland.html

Add on #2

Current ref. 21 June 2019

"
The MCWS program will be carried out in two phases, which will culminate in equipping a Stryker DVH A1 brigade in fiscal 2022, according to the Army."
https://sdquebec.ca/fr/nouvelle/foll...stryker-design

Add on #3

Current ref. 22 June 2020

"
In a call with reporters June 16, Col. Bill Venable, the project manager for Stryker brigade combat teams, fielded questions about the health of the MCWS competition, but declined to identify at this sensitive stage which companies dropped out. He said he is satisfied the Army will have options when it begins the next phase of the MCWS competition on Aug. 10.

“I will say this a healthy competition,” Venable said. “We’re going to present a variety of choices to the source-selection authority to evaluate.”

“I know that one of the vendors chose to drop out because it wasn’t on a good technical glide path to achieve the requirements of the solicitation ― and the other one was affordability,” Venable added. “They didn’t think the investment required was going to result in a good chance to win.”

Leonardo DRS, the developer of the IM-SHORAD system, is among the original competitors for MCWS, along with General Dynamics Land Systems, Kollsman Inc., Raytheon, Pratt & Miller Engineering, and Fabrication Inc. The competitors were each given a Stryker and an XM813 cannon, but they must provide their own turret and fire control system.

The next stage for MCWS involves a series of tests, including a live-fire test and an armor test, with results due to an evaluation board in January."

That of course being 2021 if it stays on track.
https://www.armytimes.com/congress/2...ouse-proposal/

And again with the most updated timetable from Post #498
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/n...b-43d052efe123

I really don't know what more I can do or give you at this point.

But I have a long evening ahead of me later today and I'm tired so, GOOD Night or Morning where ever you are.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; July 29th, 2020 at 02:04 AM..
Old August 6th, 2020, 02:06 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

An issue with APCs/IFVs for the US, is the Army can't make it's mind up. They were supposed to have removed/replaces all of the 113s with Brads or Strykers, still hasn't happened. Then they were to have everything upgraded firepower wise, that still hasn't happened.

They are still looking at replacing the HMMMVV and MRAPs, or some mix of the two. Along with new trucks to replace the FMTV ones they have currently. It's almost as if they are back to the Inter-War years and trying to figure out what works and what Congress will pay for.
Old August 6th, 2020, 02:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

It's nice to know the Britih army is not alone with its faffing about and p*ssing money away on design stuties and mismanagement. We called it FRES...
Old August 6th, 2020, 05:08 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
It's nice to know the Britih army is not alone with its faffing about and p*ssing money away on design stuties and mismanagement. We called it FRES...

We call it the MIC aka Military Industrial Complex...aka the contractors that will sell you a $400 toolset that on the civilian side runs about $200.

Right before I got out, we were supposed to get the new NVGs aka night vision, and we boxed up all of ours, only to find out that our battalion was not one of the selected to get the new stuff. Fun times...
Old September 30th, 2020, 01:55 AM

Lieutenant General

Alright something positive, the USMC has approved, via the DOD of course, the fielding of the AVC/APC variant starting in Oct.2020.

So for my USMC buddy, I'm thinking it'll take about 9 months+ to fully equip and turn in their existing equipment. So I'm thinking JUN or OCT 2021 for FOC.

Your thoughts on the matter?
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...ober_2020.html

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old September 30th, 2020, 08:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

It says "US Marines to field new ACV Amphibious Combat Vehicle APC variant in October 2020"

and 10/120 is good enough for me

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old September 30th, 2020, 02:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Alright something positive, the USMC has approved, via the DOD of course, the fielding of the AVC/APC variant starting in Oct.2020.
We currently have them available in July 2020 (I usually use a mid-year deployment if other info isn't available) so it was a pretty close guess.

I'll add this to my list of things to submit to Don for inclusion in the master files.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Suhiir; September 30th, 2020 at 02:38 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old October 2nd, 2020, 11:47 AM

Lieutenant General

Well the following provides another "piece of the puzzle" as to why the AJAX and WARRIOR CSP Programs have been delayed. German KMW and Frances NEXTAR are just "waiting in the wings" to offer the BOXER T-40 to replace the WARRIOR CSP and the latter to offer the JAGUAR for the troubled AJAX (The WARRIOR CSP is at this point in development proving to be much less "troublesome" in its development and testing.).

AJAX date change will be needed and I'm thinking NET DEC 2021. They are STILL at only 12 operational test beds, not good.

Will need to look more into the WARRIOR CSP (Designed to be operational through 2040.) which is an improved version of the WARRIOR 2000.

I've already posted on the AJAX problems even just recently.
https://www.army-technology.com/feat...ehicle-delays/

The following are continuing "tidbits" concerning the UK's Defense Review...
https://www.army-technology.com/feat...-and-bots-cgs/
https://www.army-technology.com/feat...ntally-change/

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; October 2nd, 2020 at 12:38 PM..
Old October 12th, 2020, 04:07 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...late_2020.html

The Russian Army will receive upgraded BMP-2M infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) with a new Berezhok combat module armed with a 30mm gun and a Kornet (NATO reporting name: AT-14 Spriggan) antitank missile system, the Defense Ministry’s press office said.

The BMP-2M is an upgraded version of the BMP-2 IFV with the Berezhok combat module. The vehicle transports soldiers and increases their mobility, arms and protection on the battlefield. The Berezhok manned combat module is a turret with a new set of weapons. It has a combined sight with independent stabilization of the visor in two planes. It combines optical, thermal and laser range finders, as well as a missile guiding system.

The Berezhok is said to be a cost-effective update, which dramatically increases the firepower of the basic BMP-2 and leaves its protection almost untouched. he turret weighs about 3,250 kg and carries a heavy armament suite integrating a Gryasev-Shipunov 2A42 30 mm automatic cannon, an AGS-30M 30 mm automatic grenade launcher, a Kalashnikov PKTM 7.62 mm coaxial general-purpose machinegun, and four ready-use Kornet-E-family (NATO reporting name: AT-14 Spriggan) ATGMs in two two-cell banks mounted on either side of the turret.

The upgraded BMP-2 with the new arms exceeds the organic BMP-2 capabilities 3.8 times. Compared to the baseline BMP-2, the Berezhok is equipped with a far better sensor suite. The turret has received an automatic target tracker and a ballistic computer. According to KBP, the module fires up to two missiles in salvo mode in order to score higher hit probability. The Berezhok increases the capabilities of the BMP-2 IFV fourfold. The upgraded BMP-2M vehicle features a round-the-clock automatic fire control system for Kornet guided missiles to destroy heavily-armored targets at a distance of 8 km (5 mi), as well as air targets.

https://militaryleak.com/2020/04/30/...ting-vehicles/

On April 26, 2020, the Russian Ministry of Defense reported a planned delivery of 60 Berezhok-2M IFVs to the units of the Russian Army (Sukhoputniye Voyska). The Russian Army is set to receive more than 60 BMP-2M with the Berezhok combat module. In September 2017, the Russian Ministry of Defense and the Tula-based Instrument Design Bureau (KBP, a subsidiary of state corporation Rostec) signed a contract for the modernization of 540 BMP-2 IFVs airborne infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) to the Berezhok standard. The deliveries of the vehicles were launched in 2018-2019 and the Russian troops are now reported to have received some 30-40 BMP-2M Berezhok weapon systems.

The BMP-2M Berezhok station is the updated organic turret of the BMP-2, which carries a modernized armament suite. Compared to the baseline BMP-2, the Berezhok is equipped with a far better sensor suite. The turret has received an automatic target tracker and a ballistic computer. The upgraded combat module features a combined sight with an independent two-axis field-of-view stabilizer, a thermal imager, a laser rangefinder, and a control unit for anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs). The Berezhok is said to be a cost-effective update, which dramatically increases the firepower of the basic BMP-2 and leaves its protection almost untouched.

The Berezhok turret weighs up to 3,250 kg and carries a heavy armament suite integrating a 30 mm automatic cannon, an automatic grenade launcher, a coaxial general-purpose machinegun, and four ready-use ATGMs in two two-cell banks mounted on either side of the turret. The turret has received an automatic target tracker and a ballistic computer. The detection range for a tank-type target is up to 5,000 m, target identification at night using the thermal channel is possible at up to 3,000 m. The turret is also equipped with independent sights of commander and gunner, allowing them to work in ‘hunter-killer’ mode. The gunner`s sight has four channels: optical, thermal imaging, laser rangefinder and ATGM control channel.

The Gryasev-Shipunov 2A42 30 mm has ammunition load of 500 shells. AGS-30M 30 mm automatic grenade launcher can fire three types of grenades, namely, VOG-17M, VOG-30, GPD-30, being able to destroy personnel targets at the distances up to 1700-2100 m. Berezhok can fire five types of Kornet munitions, namely anti-tank tandem-warhead 9M133-1/9M133-2 and anti-personnel thermobaric 9M133F-1/9M133F-2/9M133F-3 missiles. The module has also received 30mm AG-30 automatic grenade launcher (AGL) and six 902B Tucha smoke grenade launchers. 2A42 gun can fire armor-piercing and high-explosive shells, being able to destroy targets at the distances up to 2000 m and 4000 m, respectively.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkSheppard For This Useful Post: