.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 29th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: am i just a really bad player...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananadine View Post
(In the short term, an easy improvement to make is to increase PD as much as possible in any province that is likely to remain on your border for a long while. 125 PD is a very very poor investment when you're playing against humans, because one well-dressed commander can defeat it, but against the AI it will do rather well, especially if you back it up with some standing mages of your own.)
Yeah, it's amazing how much the AI will bleed against a strongpoint like that.
That's unethical, and not much fun anyway! I try now to keep max PD at about 20.

I speak with experience as a very poor computer game player... so if I can do better than that, so can you

To the guy who said he wasn't winning on Normal, that is a bit worrying....

To the guy who said he hadn't bothered much with magic, there's the clue! If you're going to beat the Impossible AIs, you're going to need a bit of that (despite posters here who state they can beat the AIs without even looking at the screen!).
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:03 AM

Corporal

Theonlystd is on a distinguished road

Dunno hate to sound like im tooting my own horn

But really don't even need to go that magic heavy/gem usage if your nation has decent troops. The ai is so bad about starving armies,crappy units and poor placement.. You can route and destroy big armies with much smaller armies backed up by very little magiclly .

Wish the ai was better
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
It doesn't have to be summoning per say. Any means of gem use will help significantly. Creating gear for commander units to use or casting spells with gem requirements can be tremendously helpful. If you want to try a summons-based strategy, agartha has nice elemental summons that are easy to research and should be very effective against the AI. Atlantis and kailasa are probably the best examples of commanders-with-items nations available to you, though arco can do that too. Arco is primarily about mage communions though. Marverni is a pretty tricky race to play, especially against AI hordes. That's probably the one that'd be hardest to win against impossible AIs with without significant battle magic.
Arcocephale is tricky in the demo - the level 4 cap for magic really hurts communions, and they aren't exactly easy anyways. Agartha is probably the easiest nation to win with, given that they have commanders that are only a few items away from very heavy thug territory, if not actual SCs.
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:34 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Oh, it only goes up to level 4? I thought you could get to 6 :/ That makes things pretty rough, yes.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:20 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Oh, it only goes up to level 4? I thought you could get to 6 :/ That makes things pretty rough, yes.
There are a lot of very useful spells for Arco that are completely cut off. Mind Hunt, for instance, is among the best spells Arco has access to. Moreover, Arco's healers support use of it, and as such Arco probably uses it better than any other nation. Under a 6 cap, it is a viable useful spell - under a 4 cap, it is locked away entirely.
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Regarding AI opponents:

Quantity of AI opponents is a major factor. If you're playing against 2 or 3, with superior tactics you can wear them down and then start moving into their territory and taking over. But if you're playing against 6 or 9, if you demolish an AI opponent, you find one of his rivals moves in. Pound him, and the first has grown in strength to take over. Actually expanding is *very* difficult; you will find yourself spending most of your time fending off his offenses.

Focus your efforts on preserving your forces while demolishing his; don't waste troops trying to defend territory when a larger AI force shows up. Retreat, smash it when your forces have concentrated, then move back.

BTW, if you're playing the demo, you're at a huge handicap. You can't go thugging with research 4