.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warhammer Nation: Bretonnia, Knights of the Grail v.0.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humakty View Post
I spotted both heroic weapons were length 0, isn't it supposed to be 2 for the sword and 4 for the lance ?
Yeah, you're right. Will be fixed for the next version.

Quote:
I'm also wondering why breton lances deal only 8 damage, as opposed to the 16 damage of the regular lance.
The Breton Heavy Lance allows for strenght, unlike normal lance. So it's basically 18-20 damage (depending on the knight in question) and allows the damage to be boosted by Earth Might/ Virtue of Nobility

Quote:
In the fluff, aren't the peasants using hereditary longbows inspired from their elven neighbours's ones ? But maybe I'm mistaken on this one.
Yeah, the Bowmen use longbows in WRFB, but it doesn't translate well to dominions 3. No matter how weak I make them, longbows are just that awesome that they'd overshadow the Knights by a wide margin. Bretonnia is a nation of Knights, not of peasant bowmen hiding behind yeomen arrow cathers.

Quote:
I find the ressource cost really high for a cap only sacred (grail knights).
Well, they deserve it. Defense 18 + prot 20 + awe makes them practically invincible to regular troops. 2 of them with some peasant bowmen can easily conquer most independent provinces. Without bless. Don't forget the Grail Virtues, too. And the unrest reduction.

Quote:
Overall their cavalry seems like nothing to write home about (more so compared to cbm varieties), I much prefer marignon/man/ulm one.
It' pretty easy to miss, but the Knights have "Destrier Hoof" that's basically boosted version of CBM "Warhorse Hoof". Also even Knight Errants boast armor equal to Knights of the Chalice/MA Man Knights. The jump from prot 17 to 20 is huge, making sure that most human spears can't afflict your precious knights even with lucky rolls. It also makes them suprisingly resilient to crossbows.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

I am wondering, does anyone else feel like footed knights errant/KotR are just overdressed chaff? Maybe it's just trying to use them according to your rules of conduct vs the AI, but they seem to be basically equivalent to yeomen in staying power, and yeomen do more damage so are arguably more useful. With their encumbrance and lack of killing power it's very easy to wear them down. So I wonder how possible it would be for them to be equipped with a two handed weapon instead. This would give them more of a niche in the army, and I think be thematically justifiable. Alternatively, could I tempt you into giving them tower shields? It wouldn't really solve their problem, but I think it makes sense to arm them differently when on foot to their armament on horseback.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
I am wondering, does anyone else feel like footed knights errant/KotR are just overdressed chaff? Maybe it's just trying to use them according to your rules of conduct vs the AI, but they seem to be basically equivalent to yeomen in staying power, and yeomen do more damage so are arguably more useful. With their encumbrance and lack of killing power it's very easy to wear them down. So I wonder how possible it would be for them to be equipped with a two handed weapon instead. This would give them more of a niche in the army, and I think be thematically justifiable. Alternatively, could I tempt you into giving them tower shields? It wouldn't really solve their problem, but I think it makes sense to arm them differently when on foot to their armament on horseback.
Yeah, footed Knights aren't even in WRFP roster, I just needed some noble troops that weren't mounted to balance the summons of the Knight Commanders.

I'll probably give them stronger physical stats than rest of the Knights. Perhaps even encumberance 2. Different equipment isn't out of the question either, but it would require me to new graphics and remove the heraldic shields.

One option would be to give them bigger standard (the peasants can relate better to footed knights).

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Sergeant

Noble713 is on a distinguished road

Tried running the mod with other Warhammer mods and Dom3 kept crashing. Turns out Bretonnia shares several #newsites with Chaos Undivided 0.55:

790 and 791

Chaos also uses 792 and 793.

L+ GdY $? Fr! C- SdS T!+ Sf+ Tcp A% M++ MpM R!- Pw+ Fq-- Nd-- RP+ G++
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:48 AM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble713 View Post
Tried running the mod with other Warhammer mods and Dom3 kept crashing. Turns out Bretonnia shares several #newsites with Chaos Undivided 0.55:

790 and 791

Chaos also uses 792 and 793.
*slams forehead*

Right, forgot to check against Chaos. Added to fix list
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:18 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Not sure where to go with this, but its a bit difficult to use the Dukes as PD raiding thugs when its so difficult to bless them. Thematically I suppose they can't have holy magic, but if they can only be maximized in battle that kind of hurts. The main issue is that its difficult to minimize their enc problem when they can neither bless themselves nor wear boots of the messenger.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Not sure where to go with this, but its a bit difficult to use the Dukes as PD raiding thugs when its so difficult to bless them. Thematically I suppose they can't have holy magic, but if they can only be maximized in battle that kind of hurts. The main issue is that its difficult to minimize their enc problem when they can neither bless themselves nor wear boots of the messenger.

At the start of development, Dukes blessed themselves at the start of battle, but I changed it for thematic/gameplay reasons. Dukes are important men, leaders of armies and lords of huge fiefs. The thought of them going to battlefield solo is sort of proposterous. Also they were a bit too good with auto-bless at 200 gold (I really don't want to make them more expensive, it will only make them look worse when compared against Maidens). 200 gold might be a tad too cheap for a unit that can raid pd with minimal equipment (vine shield + frost brand is usually enough).

But you are right about that it might be annoying, forcing you to accompany them with maidens or indy priests. I'll have to ponder on this, I might make them auto-bless again (with a slight gold cost increase), just to reduce the micro.

Also, for any encumberance problems, see Girdle of Might. It's double good for Grail Heroes, since it also boosts their strenght, making the "Heroic Lance" even more heroic (one-shotting elephants is fun!).
Old August 24th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Colonel

OK, I'm going to update bretonnia next, it might take a while since I want to make the "King" hero for this update and I have big plans for his graphic, it will take time to make right.

But anyways, if anyone has a beef with the nation, now would be good time to speak up so that I can fix it for the next update. Below is the list of things I'm already determined to change.

Quote:
- "outrider" not capitalized in name of Yeoman Outrider.
- morale boost for Grail Knights to 30
- remove autosummons from noble knight commanders
- KotR to hp 12 to bring "in line" with MA Mar/man knights
- add lenght to "Heroic" weapons
- make compactible with the chaos mod
- better stats for footed knights
- Trumanators nation description
- Pegasus knights to recruit everywhere, with slight increse inresource cos

Last edited by Burnsaber; August 24th, 2009 at 02:13 PM..
Old August 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Private

Ruefiesty is on a distinguished road

I'm looking forward to the update!
I can't wait for the King
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM

Colonel

Update is on the works, here is the King Graphic as a teaser, I'm also curious about what you people think about the color scheme. I went with purple, because that is the colour of royalty.

For his gameplay stats, we'll, let's just say that he will the most wanted non-magic hero in all of dom3-verse.