.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 3rd, 2019, 04:50 AM

Sergeant

sigeena is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Italian Long Campaign

Turn 13

3rd Company Sector.
The front has somewhat stabilised. That can only mean that EN bombardment will fall in the next few turns. The quick attack plan is to move R platoon down the road quickly, and then come up north into the EN flank.

Elsewhere, our tanks have finally faced off against the EN tanks.

You will always want to point your front into the EN side or rear.

2nd Company Sector

My artillery is finally finding its mark and I'm planning to envelop the EN with my fresh platoons.

The Following User Says Thank You to sigeena For This Useful Post:
Old July 3rd, 2019, 01:52 PM

Corporal

Steves308 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this AAR, and good luck, probably no one harder to fight a long campaign with than the Italians

Steves308
Old July 3rd, 2019, 08:39 PM

Sergeant

Thanks Steves308.

I've already taken some liberties with regards to my orbat. Historically, the weapons company in the regular infantry battalion had some tiny 45mm assault mortars, which could only be used in direct fire. I decided to disperse them in the rifle companies and buy some 65mm howitzers and 81mm mortars instead, somewhat simulating permanent higher HQ attachments.

Overaching plan subsequently is to fight in N. Africa till the Eastern Front opens up and play up against the Russians. I think I'll probably dump my LC at some point after frustration with the Russians. Imagine the lack of AT weapons against KV mammoths.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 08:43 PM

Sergeant

Getting back to the battle, it is quite clear by now that the stalemate in 2nd Company sector is due to the parity in relative combat power (a company apiece slugging it out). I will thus mobilise my reserve 1st Company to support them and push RCP in my favour. On motor transports, 1st Company will move 2 platoons and should reach 2nd Company in 3 turns.

At the same time, my tanks, having destroyed the EN armour, will make its way up to lead the charge into 3rd Company's sector. This will again tilt the RCP in my favour.
Old July 4th, 2019, 08:48 PM

Sergeant

Turn 16, about 3 turns after executing my quick attack

2nd Company sector, EN arty began falling south of the road, hitting my D1 HMG. My own arty was falling in and around the EN concentration, pinning them down as my units closed in. Some of my arty dropped slightly shorter, but it was a small risk to take. I generally like to keep around 200M (4 hexes) for safety distance, but when I start to close in, I'll reduce it to 150M or so.

1st Company has also began arriving along the road. I made a gamble and guessed that there isn't much of an EN presence along the road, otherwise that platoon on trucks will melt away very fast. The lone EN infantry section managed to destroy the truck but was quickly routed by the dismounting infantry.

EN infantry began to rout in the general direction of the yellow arrow, which began taking them closer to my 1st Company positions.

By Turn 19

Most EN units have been sweeped up by 1st Company along the flank and 2nd Company pressing from the centre.

Old July 4th, 2019, 08:54 PM

Sergeant

Turn 16, 3rd Company sector

A similar story to 2nd Company sector. Once R platoon started feeling up the EN flank, the EN infantry began to budge and run. I had expected to use my tanks to force the decision but generally, it was over before they reached the lines.

After the EN broke, I sent my tanks along the road, aiming to capture the furthest EN objective flag near their edge of the map. The rest of the company spread out to clear the forested area to ensure no more EN stay behind forces.

Old July 4th, 2019, 09:02 PM

Sergeant

Battle Report at Turn 26

Most influential unit was probably P platoon of 3rd Company. They contacted the EN since Turn 6 and fought till the EN crumbled. 1 of the sections ended up with 0 ammo.

Most useless unit was probably the AT guns with motor transport. Again due to lack of opportunities. Their organic motor transport was still useful in trooplift ferrying.

As for the EN most influential unit, this was probably their 60mm mortars. They were fast in delivery and made it difficult in the first 3-5 turns after contact for L Platoon, 2nd Company.

The EN most useless unit, probably their tanks again. They turned up, barely fired a single shot and got destroyed by my tanks. They were slightly better than the ones in the 1st battle, at least they distracted my tanks from the main fight.
Old July 4th, 2019, 11:02 PM

Sergeant

Well well, the Eastern (Africa) Front has opened up in July 1940.

Meeting Engagement against GB in East Africa, probably Kenya or Somaliland.

Main features of the map are as follows

Road running E-W along the north of the map.

Stream running E-W along the south of the map.

Medium forested and some cultivated clearings.

Looks to be more of an infantry fight as little opportunities for armour to roam.

Battle plan is as follows with company boundaries.

1st Coy to advance swiftly down the road with Scout Team and ATG on Motor Transport leading. To dismount near the 1st unclaimed objective flag and then proceed on foot with infantry leading. ATG and HMG section to set-up firebase on high ground.

2nd Coy to advance 2-up with our tanks leading the way. As usual, the tanks will try to find and where possible, destroy the EN tanks.

3rd Coy to advance 3-up, and when the terrain constricts, to reduce frontage to 2-up. The boundary between 2nd and 3rd Coy is the stream itself. A rather convenient boundary.

Air recon will provide eyes and ears over the centre of the map and hopefully spot EN tank movement.

Old July 4th, 2019, 11:07 PM

Sergeant

Turn 3
Air recon always pays off. EN tanks were spotted near the stream and seem to be headed directly towards us. These are A13 MIVA. They are very well matched against my M-13/40. They are obviously better since they move so much faster, and have more accurate main guns.

At the speed with which both sides are closing, it may be another 6 turns before we bump into each other.

Old July 4th, 2019, 11:10 PM

Sergeant

Turn 5

EN 3 inch mortars are laying a smoke screen. This provides us another useful information on the likely firing positions. The 3 inch mortars tend to be very short range (1.5km- 30 hexes) so its very unlikely they'll try to counter battery us once our artillery starts firing.