winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old May 23rd, 2022, 03:23 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Abadan Peninsula Black Screen - Bug

Right then - downloaded the map Don put up, problem reappears.

Tried my own solution again, and the problem reappeared.

So it seems to be inconsistent, whatever it is and needs more investigation.

Whatever is doing it, it is not a common thing though since otherwise we would have had complaints about black maps before.

Back to the drawing board!
Old May 23rd, 2022, 03:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The only way I can test this is through anyone having a problem as I do not. Both the original and my mod work for me

SO........

Load the MODIFIED map in the advanced map editor and run REMOVE DAMAGE and when done, save and run your tests again and report back

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 23rd, 2022, 04:52 PM

Private

The_Think_Tanker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Let us be clear here.... are you testing the modified map I posted or the original ( text on /off>?

Don't really care about the original any longer the mod I posted is the only one. I know it works for me but so did the original. Andy has not tested my change yet. You say......" your solution appears to of worked" then go on and say "but I cannot seem to "cure" the text on this map like Andy did" which seems to indicate you are still using the original.

Andys test for map text on and off was what I suggested needed to be tested but that is now old news

Not interested in how the original reacts any longer, just the mod I posted
Both. I tested both the original with text off/on as Andy suggested, and after that did not work I tested your file, which did not work. After that I also tried following Andy's instructions on the file you posted, which also did not work.

So far the only thing which has worked is turning off the map text, and keeping it off. This works on both the original map and on your map file that you posted. However, if I turn on the map text again at any time for either file the black screen returns.

That is what I meant by the "partial solution," as turning off map text works but I cannot keep it off (as it loads back in when editing a new scenario). And that the file you posted seemed to have no difference of result compared to the original file, as both would give a black screen unless the map text was turned off.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Have you tried the suggestion in post #12?

What we know for sure the problem is in the text. Remove damage has the POTENTIAL to fix that

The last step would be entering the text in a different hex then removing the old...... test...... if that doesn't work go to the next ( etc etc )

I cannot tell you what will work because it works for me as it was

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; May 23rd, 2022 at 05:15 PM..
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:07 PM

Private

Quote:
The only way I can test this is through anyone having a problem as I do not. Both the original and my mod work for me

SO........

Load the MODIFIED map in the advanced map editor and run REMOVE DAMAGE and when done, save and run your tests again and report back
Just tested with the criteria as listed. I went into the Map Editor, ran the 3-minute clear damage process, resaved over the fixed map file which you posted, then went into the scenario editor and the issue still persists. I was able to confirm though that as Andy noted it doesn't appear when in the Map Editor itself, with or without map text, nor does it show on the Scenario Deployment Screen with map text off. But once map text is turned on during deployment the black screen will appear after briefly scrolling.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK then all the old text needs to be removed and new text put in it's place. Somewhere there is a rogue "invisible" that is making your and Andys game unhappy......why mine is OK with it remains a mystery but it's the text that's the problem and I cannot test this the long way as it works for me

The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

One final issue............ you detailed a specific scroll pattern to test.... right side..... top.... to left then down

Did it always crash in the same spot and if so where?

Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:28 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

I'll probably run it at a future date with the map text layer code commented out and see if it runs OK.

I have tried map text off, it worked for ten or twelve turns and then bang...

Also this map is one of the examples one should use to point out to map designers what NOT to ever lay down to the poor AI other than in a very carefully crafted scenario, best in fact if it was left for human v human only scenarios.

- it has two paralell rivers N/S. If the AI is given barges or barge carriers it will only shuttle to the nearest bank. It has no chance of getting over the second river. The river crossing and beach landing code is set up for one (1) patch of water.
- It has one east to west as well, and the AI may well move any floaty thing right along that ignoring land and hit the rear of te map... and that north channel leaves:
- an isolated island up in the North, and that extends to land on the right side as my Pakistani test tanks were engaging Indian AMX-13s that ran along the road there.
- The enemy in my test game that ran 10 or so moves before it went black on me bought naval artillery. A quick check buy and naval fire support was on offer for a meeting engagement for P1 pakistan as well. So it thinks its a beach map (might try turning the GBeach & GWideRiver flags off and saving the map later, see if they contribute to the problem).
- Oh, and the water is smack in the AI deployment area so it will plot some stuff in the deep water which will drown. It has guard code to try and avoid that but it only shifts units a few hexes before giving up..

It may be a map to use against the AI if you view map and put in bridges. Otherwise it shouuld only be for PBEM play with 2 humans, IMHO. Or left in whatever scenario it came from (Is there a scenario using this map?). Its certainly not for the AI ever to use unless in a well laid out scenario where there will never be a need to cross the second vertical channel of deep water. About the only way the AI could deal with that is if it was given lots of amphibious APCs, PT-76 etc and they survived any combat on the island.

But its probably best nuked as it is an example of a map designer being too clever - or if not, it needs a map text file telling any prospective user that it is only for use in scenario design and never to be used for random battles with the AI!
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:44 PM

Private

Quote:
OK then all the old text needs to be removed and new text put in it's place. Somewhere there is a rogue "invisible" that is making your and Andys game unhappy......why mine is OK with it remains a mystery but it's the text that's the problem and I cannot test this the long way as it works for me
I've gone through, deleted all the old strings through '#' and recreated them in the same location and with the same names. I did change the spelling of "Persisn Gulf" to "Persian Gulf," though.

This map now seems to work with those text edits, I've attached the new map files to this post and to verify that you have the 'edited' map I've left a "Text Edited By: Thinky" in the bottom-right corner of the map as a proof mark so you can know that it is the 'new' map file. I don't intend for this to stay in the final version of our tweaks, but I just wanted to leave that there for now so we can all make sure we've got the same file.

With this edited map file I've not encountered any black screen bug in the scenario editor, deployment screen, or similar. Though more testing will be done on my end to verify that the black screen bug won't reappear.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Abadan_Fixed_Text_v1.zip (109.2 KB, 54 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Think_Tanker For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:45 PM

Private

Quote:
One final issue............ you detailed a specific scroll pattern to test.... right side..... top.... to left then down

Did it always crash in the same spot and if so where?
It always seemed to be on the left-hand side of the map, near the top-third of the map, but the specifics were hard to determine.
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Think_Tanker For This Useful Post: