The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Star Legacy Development Group > Star Legacy

Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:22 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Welcome Star Legacy Development Group!

OK, Off Topic Thread started!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:25 PM

Corporal

Louist is on a distinguished road

Thanks
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Private

Skyburn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbluck View Post
when it comes to reporting the money flow, be sure to include the ending balance for last month in addition to the usual projected balance for this month. The breakdowns from SE4 were thorough enough, but not having the end of month numbers makes it difficult to track trends accurately. For example, take a look at SE4. If half my queues finished this turn, then in the Empires tab my Construction costs at the start of the turn will reflect only what is CURRENTLY being worked on. It's much more accurate to look at what we DID, instead of what we think we MIGHT do...
I agree that last month's numbers should be kept. In fact I would like to see the game keep detailed records of your production history, broken down by each production center (planet, ship or whatever).

It would also be nice if the game's financial interface helped you to project what the most productive way of building up a planet would be. For example, would I get more resources by building the resource centers first and then a Space Yard? Or should I build the Space Yard first? What if I want to maximize SY time instead? How long will it take to pay off facility construction with new production revenue? Having to manually plug all the relevant numbers into a spreadsheet is a pain, and the alternative is to be outproduced by a more thorough enemy. Plus, if the game can calculate these numbers for you, it could calculate them for an AI.

I would also like to see some kind of trading interface. Being able to post offers and trade with other known civilizations would be fun. You could trade lots of stuff, not just resources. Maybe even hire some of your ships out as mercenaries or to transport cargo. It would give the whole political system more depth, too.
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Sergeant

jars_u is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyburn View Post
Maybe even hire some of your ships out as mercenaries or to transport cargo. It would give the whole political system more depth, too.
I think this is an especially good idea that would add some good depth both in being able to hire or sell mercenary services. Players that focus all on butter could use that cash to hire the guns. In another aspect you could also sell mercenary services (I'd buy that for a $1) to an ally involved in a conflict without actually becoming directly involved in the conflict yourself.
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:42 AM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

Hmm... awefully quiet here. Me no like.
Any new info about SL?

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstone View Post
Hmm... awefully quiet here. Me no like.
Any new info about SL?
I came in to see what's going on - hi everyone.

Is there a synopsis or compendium someplace, or should I just start opening threads and reading?

TT

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

Hmm... too bad there isn't that much news.
Ah well, it will appear soon enough.

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Private

KnightWhoSaysNi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikiwi View Post
Combat will be turned based as it's a turn based game. In single player you will have tactical (you control), but also a strategic option to let the AI do it all for you, as will happen in a PBW game.
KISS, oh you mean keeping it simple (phew!), yes you will have the option to manage most of it, or let ministers do it for you. Some functions may be automatic by default with the option to do your own thing. For example basic building on planets will be automatic, but if you want to add something you can.
Traders will be AI only, and we hope to have rogue asteroids or meteors, and yes you will be able to target them if they are heading your way..... (sssh TMI)
Apologies for missing this comment earlier.

To be honest, I think real time combat would be better, provided that it was pausable to issue orders and slow enough to observe what's happening. In my opinion, that would be more fun and engaging than being turn based. It would feel more realistic as well. It would be better for the same reason I found combat in Baldur's Gate more fun than that of Ultima VI (if you're old enough to remember the latter one).
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

Has anyone here played Star Chamber? I just started and it's pretty much kicking my ***.
I don't know if anyone remembers a card collecting / deck building game called "Spellfire" from the early 90's (maybe late 80's) but it's like that... only not, cuz it's a boardgame.... only not, cuz it's online... with a computer... so.... yeah.

Anyway, check it out - very simple and fast but HEAVILY HEAVILY reliant on skill and strategy. HEAVILY. Did I say very big on Strategy? And it's "free":
http://starchamber.station.sony.com/

EDIT: This should probably be moved to "Off Topic"?

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea

Last edited by TurinTurambar; June 23rd, 2010 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: should be moved
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Sergeant

jars_u is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Welcome Star Legacy Development Group!

Anything new to share on Star Legacy Development?

Recent emails from Impulse about a discount on Star Ruler reminded me how long its been since I bought a 4X game I truly enjoyed - but the reviews for it are still a pretty mixed bag with the bugs worrying me more then game play issues.