.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jomon Analysis: 3.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by legowarrior View Post
Also, I find that Jomon have a lack of Earth magic, yet get fire magic, which there seems to little use for, what is with that.
It's possible to get a Master Shugenja with e3, and if you're really lucky e4...2 cross path fire spells - astral fires (real easy to get with omnyoji) and magma bolts (M. shugenja). And of course a fire pick on the M. Shugenja and you can start a fetish farm.
Beware! Onmoyi's cannot get s3 and thus can't get non cbm'd Astral fires! xD
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:20 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Because the next update is going to add several more units to Jomon's roster. The summons added recently were supposed to be more or less thematic, the as yet unadded units are supposed to have a larger effect on Jomon's overall balance.

I am not 100% sure I agree with a few things. For example, longbows to me seem to do almost nothing in LA. Unless you have flaming arrows you're not going to do any kind of significant damage to shielded units. So if you're buying huge amounts of samurai archers, I would highly suggest setting them to fire at archers or they're pretty much wasting their time. Also, Aka-Oni samurai are very skilled fighters, and mixed with Go-Hatamoto are very effective at breaking up heavy infantry, which is something samurai archers are not nearly as good at. Crossbowmen might work instead, but you'll be inflicting more friendly fire casualties than enemy casualties once the enemy reaches your samurai archers, which they will do unless they don't have shields. The only thing you have going for you then is the katana attack skill bonus, putting your samurai archer's attack skill up to something like 13.

Because I hate LA longbows, and honestly crossbows so much due to the amount of friendly fire you'll take, what I like to do is use a small screen of Go-Hatamoto for groups of Aka-Oni Samurai. The hatamoto are unshielded, but they do have high hp and decent prot, so they can deal with anything that's not a crossbow reasonably well, and in a small group most crossbow bolts will miss them. You have to work hard at killing enemy archers like this though. Which means either longbow samurai set to fire archers or using something to run up the flanks. If only samurai cavalry was worth the cost.
Unless Jomon troops get changed and their starting army is buffed to at least double the troops they get now, I'm not holding my breath on any huge improvements.

I've never had the trouble with samurai archers as you have. They're pretty accurate. like I said, the only troops I have trouble with are heavy cavalries. But if you find something that works for you then by all means. =)

The way I see it is you have two types of armies. The first one is your samurai archers which deals with with most non heavy troops of LA. They can handle everything except heavy cavalry provinces and national heavy troops. Then you have another army of aka-oni's, sohei's (and go hatamato's if you need it) for those troops. The secondary army often takes a lot more casualties so they're not exactly the most ideal expansion force.

Last edited by KissBlade; January 1st, 2009 at 02:29 PM..
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:34 PM

Sergeant

Slobby is on a distinguished road

[quote=KissBlade;663171]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobby View Post

Beware! Onmoyi's cannot get s3 and thus can't get non cbm'd Astral fires! xD
Make an astral booster or communion or PotS....it's not that hard. What is hard is deciding the right balance of combat mages and researchers.

As for the e3 yes it's rare, e2 is more common throw on some boots and you have e3 cast summon earth power and you have e4 in battle.

Last edited by Slobby; January 1st, 2009 at 02:44 PM..
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Honestly, as I've been playing Jomon quite a bit, I have to agree that I do not find their archers to be particularly effective, against much of what you face in LA. By the same token, I don't find enemy archers to be particularly effective against Jomon's armor, even though it is not the highest for the age.

I think a lot of it comes down to playstyle, but I've got some very divergent ideas about Jomon, almost "Baalzy" in the "no, Jomon actually doesn't suck" kind of way. Perhaps once my 2 MP Jomon games get deeper in, I will write up a competing, but complementary guide for Jomon as well - from the 2 of them, there ought to be something for everyone.
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Excellent. Until then, I look forward to being killed by you in humanwar so you can show me how to play them
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:52 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Excellent. Until then, I look forward to being killed by you in humanwar so you can show me how to play them
Totally contingent on my concepts translating well into MP. It's all stuff that isn't very applicable, or very interesting in SP tests..... so I know how to expand well enough, and I know what I want to do after that, I just don't know if it will kill you or not.
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

It probably will, my strategy for that game is bordering on insanity
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:05 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Jomon is not as bad as everyone thinks.

Consider, there are a few pillars the game really rests on.

Pretender Chassis.
Troops.
Mages.
SC Chassis

Jomon has fine pretender chassis, good mages, good SC Chassis.
Only its troops suck.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:41 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

How does Jomon have better SC chassis than any other random LA nation? How is their pretender chassis any different to other nations (other than a bless being basically useless)?

I'm also not really seeing how the mages are 'good'. 'Acceptable' for LA maybe. But mapmove 1 combat mages? No standout researcher? Unreliable paths?
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
How does Jomon have better SC chassis than any other random LA nation?
I think that's Dai Oni. It's a national SC chassis, not necessarily better, but at least available (for a certain amount of available depending on your pretender).