Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old May 10th, 2011, 08:55 PM

Corporal

daferg is on a distinguished road
Beer Observations of a Stryker Soldier

I hope this thread does not cause heartburn to developers or others. I was recently deployed with a stryker unit and thought I could compare how the strykers in real life compare to the game. Nothing I discuss violates OPSEC or reveal critical TTP's. I was the machinegun squad leader in a rifle platoon. I will compare the game to real life in no real order:

As stated above, I was a machinegun squad leader. The forth squad leader is normally the 'weapons squad leader' but not in a stryker unit. The javelins were in each squad and the rifleman in one team was the designated javelin gunner. The other rifleman is your squad designated marksman. In the game the javelins are all in the forth squad and the M240B's are left out. I have seen other units in the game have ATGM in a rifle squad. I would like to see this and have two M240B teams in the forth stryker.

The stryker uses the RWS to engage targets(.50 cal and MK19) in all variants except the mortar and recon strykers. These have an M2 mounted on a pintle and they have to 'free gun' it. The RWS is an amazing system and I have seen it engage targets at incredible ranges in all types of weather and visibility. It has gyros and can engage on the move. The game gives the fire control a low rating. I would like to see this number increased a great amount. Perhaps 30 or higher.

Every stryker I have been around in combat had at least on additional weapon on a mount. The squad leaders hatch has a pintle for another weapon and there is always gunners out the back hatches. I would like to see a 240B listed as a secondary weapon for at least the Infantry carrier type.

The stryker listed in the Lt Mech Platoon Bn Support is supposed to be a recon type. It has recon soldiers assigned to man it. The sighting system(LRAS) on this vehicle is far superior to anything else out there. It is not used to engage but to just observe. The game has its vision listed as 40 but I think 50 or 55 is much closer to the truth.

Mortar strykers come in two types. The company has two vehicles with a mounted 120mm and a dismounted 60mm mortar. The battalion mortar platoon has 120mm mounted and 81mm dismounted. The game does not reflect this. I would like to see the mortar carriers have a carry capacity large enough to carry these dismounted mortar crews.

A stryker company has its own organic snipers(two-two man teams). The game does not reflect this. I would like to see snipers in the pre-built stryker company along with their own forward observer team.

The MGS (stryker with the 105mm cannon) is reflected properly in the game. It is not used on the front line and when it is used it gets blown up. MGS's are best used for battalion HQs photo ops.

I would like to see medic stryker (MEVs)used in the game. They would serve no purpose for the game but would look cool. In fact the M113 ambulances and 4 litter Humvees would be a nice addition. Like I said, no purpose for the game but it would be nice to role play a little with them.

I am not asking for a new upgraded patch to be released in the next few days to reflect these changes. I thought it would give someone some interesting reading.

ferg
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Observations of a Stryker Soldier

I have noted down this info and will consider how to properly apply it to the game OOB when we review the OOB's. However, I have no intention of adding a medic stryker.

Don
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I have noted down this info and will consider how to properly apply it to the game OOB when we review the OOB's. However, I have no intention of adding a medic stryker.

Don
Ok...no medic stryker. You are gonna feel pretty silly when an RKG3 hits your stryker and there are no medics around. Just kidding. I would feel honored if you would take my observations and apply them to the game. PM or email me with additional questions.
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM

Sergeant

EJ is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Observations of a Stryker Soldier

daferg,

Great info you posted. We need more professional soldiers like you sharing information about equipment in the real world as compared with it in the game. I'm sure your info will help improve an already good game. Do you PBEM? If you're interested PM me your email and let's get a game going.
-EJ-
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Corporal

I am afraid my schedule is sometimes unpredictable. Here one day and gone for the next few days or weeks. I plan to have a very long vacation coming up soon. Perhaps my first PBEM will happen then. Thank you for the invite.

This is a very good game. If you apply basic real life tactics in this game it works. Cross an open field without a support by fire position set up and see what happens. Drive 40mph down a dirt road and run into a rifle squad in a tree line. Stay in one spot for a long time killing a bunch of bad guys and see if that don't attract some indirect fire.
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Buy yourself a good laptop then you could play anytime anywhere.
Military pay is pretty good nowdays,not like the days when i served and couldn't even afford a car

edit}Thanks for you input on Stryker formations from one that knows first hand, than armchair readers

Last edited by gila; May 11th, 2011 at 10:54 PM..
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:33 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Buy yourself a good laptop then you could play anytime anywhere.
Military pay is pretty good nowdays,not like the days when i served and couldn't even afford a car

edit}Thanks for you input on Stryker formations from one that knows first hand, than armchair readers

Gila, be careful with your advice. The man can not be in the middle of a shootout with the laptop.
It's a joke. Take this opportunity to greet Gila. When we play a game?
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:02 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daferg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

Don
Ok...no medic stryker. You are gonna feel pretty silly when an RKG3 hits your stryker and there are no medics around. Just kidding. I would feel honored if you would take my observations and apply them to the game. PM or email me with additional questions.
There are no medical functions in the game, so such units are superfluous for game purposes. Same as say, water bowsers would be, or the cooks truck. Or all the varicose radar vehicles that get "folded into" an area SAM launcher icon for game purposes. Even a dispatch rider with motorcycle would be useless - since there is no concept of an "orders package" to pass between HQS. Players would use the D/R as a fast scout, most likely if provided..

If you need a "rescue taxi" for beaten up sections, or to recover de-horsed crews, then buy an APC from the MISC menu, and leave it in the rear, unloaded.

Cheers
Andy
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Corporal

Ok. Got it. No medic stryker. No medic vehicles of any type what so ever. I promise never ever ever to bring the subject up again. Ever. Promise.

But would it not be cool to have one and instead of a vehicle moving sound it would go "wee woo wee woo wee woo". Like a siren. You could dismount the medics and the new medic pukes in the corner. The grizzled senior medic takes the cigar out of his mouth and says "Oh My God!". Then you could have the Chaplin vehicle come up and you dismount the Chaplin.

Ok. I feel better now. No more medic vehicle talk. It would be cool though, huh?