Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old January 29th, 2003, 04:46 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

More options for stellar manipulations:
Create Stars from Nebulas (Hey, that's how they form in real life!)
Create/destroy organic infestations/warp rifts/other new system types added in SE4 Gold

Do not allow mining on ringworlds/sphereworlds. Farming is OK, but mining?!? you BUILT the thing and now you expect to MINE stuff out of it???
Old January 29th, 2003, 05:47 AM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

ED... Yea...

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old January 29th, 2003, 03:25 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
Do not allow mining on ringworlds/sphereworlds. Farming is OK, but mining?!? you BUILT the thing and now you expect to MINE stuff out of it???
Logical at the face of it, but what if you gift it, capture it, or colonize an empty one?
Old January 29th, 2003, 05:13 PM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Nearly all of my wish list items fall under "population management". Here are the biggies:

-Population restrictions based on "population centre" facilities, not atmos type. Of course, non-breathing populations would need special domed "pop centres", which don't hold as many ppl...

- Autonomous population migration: Civilians should be able to move around the galaxy without the help of Imperial Population Transports. For example, whole planetfulls of ppl might move away from conflict if they are peace-loving, or toward it if they are warriors/ beserkers=-). They could also be also motivated by things like plague, economic conditions, planetary conditions, overpopulation & the desire to explore. They should even be able to move across imperial borders if necessary, settling in neighbouring empires.

-The above could lead to refugee crises- overpopulation of a planet should be possible, and it should lead to serious problems (Plagues, riots)

-Underpopulation should also be a concern. Please enable the minimum population per facility! (although proportions mod does a good job of this already).

-Plagues need to be more complex (ie less predictable) than just "level 1 medbay cures level 1 plague."

-Captured populations should keep all of their racial modifiers! A planet full of one species shouldn't suddenly lose their +10% minerals extraction just because they have a new govenment! This would introduce interesting choices when it comes to relocating population.

-More structured empires: Yes, I'm talking about imperial capitals, regional capitals, trade routes, cities, localised resource pools... Rather than micromanage these things, let the game decide where they are and how they grow. All the player has to do is defend them=-)

-Less predictable intel: More factors need to be introduced to make it less cut and dried.

-More complex and competitive ground combat. How about giving a positive modifier to races fighting on their "home" terrain? (ie gas races at an advantage when fighting on a gas giant).

-Less rigid distinctions between different game objects, allowing modders to blur the boundaries between (for example) planets and asteroids, or between ships and planets, or between fighters and troops, or between ships and bases... the possibilities for modders would be limitless.

-The ability to warp (ie denying warp travel to neutrals and fighters) controlled by a moddable ability rather than hardcode. This would be great for modders.

-Ability to build treaties in the same way you build trade packages (I'll give you access to my resupply bases in exchange for research alliance.)

-Advanced order queues for ships: adding boolean operators into order queues would enable us to automate loads of ship operations and reduce micromanagement.

Over the Last few years I've posted lengthy monologues on how most of the above things might be implemented. I'd be happy to dig up some links if necessary.

[ January 29, 2003, 15:42: Message edited by: dogscoff ]
Old January 29th, 2003, 05:41 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Krsqk is on a distinguished road

Apologies in advance for the lengthy quote:
Quote:
- Autonomous population migration: Civilians should be able to move around the galaxy without the help of Imperial Population Transports...
-The above could lead to refugee crises- overpopulation of a planet should be possible, and it should lead to serious problems (Plagues, riots)
So, in essence, dynamic population levels? This would be neat, but it'd have to be fairly minimal to avoid domino bad effects--Snerg II gets a plague; millions go to Snerg III, overpopulating it, causing plagues and riots, millions go to Snerg IV...rinse and repeat.

Quote:
-Plagues need to be more complex (ie less predictable) than just "level 1 medbay cures level 1 plague."
Such as, plagues with severity and contagion Ratings? High severity means harder to cure/more deaths; high contagion means spreads rapidly. Plagues can spread to other planets in a system, and planets with spaceports would be more likely to spread/be spread to. Multiple turns to cure. Things like that? That would be cool.

Quote:
-Captured populations should keep all of their racial modifiers! A planet full of one species shouldn't suddenly lose their +10% minerals extraction just because they have a new govenment! This would introduce interesting choices when it comes to relocating population.
How about a little variety in production anyway? I mean, the +10% is only an average racial figure; most would be better or worse than the average by +/- 1 or 2 points.

Quote:
-Less predictable intel: More factors need to be introduced to make it less cut and dried.
Definitely agree, although I'm a little short on ideas this morning.

Quote:
-More complex and competitive ground combat. How about giving a positive modifier to races fighting on their "home" terrain? (ie gas races at an advantage when fighting on a gas giant).
Definitely, along with other more complex changes. Actual functioning damage types wouldn't hurt here, either.

Just one other idea which has been suggested: Damage Family X,Y,Z damage types. Then we wouldn't have to give the Boarding Defense ability to Component X in order to have a weapon to specifically disable it.

"Well, sir, at the moment my left processor doesn't know what my right is doing." - Freefall
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:51 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Oh, here's another one... don't know if this will apply since I don't know how SE5's combat will work out, but how about ships and planets that take up different number of squares/hexes/whatever on the combat map? Currently all ships are 1x1 and all planets are 4x4... MOO2 had 1x1, 2x2, and 3x3 ships, and 3x3 through 7x7 planets, IIRC... SE5 could go one better and have moddable ship sizes that don't even have to be squares!

Oh, BTW, is all this just speculation, or did Aaron specifically state that there WILL be an SE5? (pleasepleaseplease )
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:57 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
Oh, BTW, is all this just speculation, or did Aaron specifically state that there WILL be an SE5? (pleasepleaseplease )
Well, noone knows the future. But he has specifically asked for suggestions on SE5 at least. I would be very suprised if it didn't happen at some point.

Geoschmo
Old January 29th, 2003, 11:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

"How about a little variety in production anyway? I mean, the +10% is only an average racial figure; most would be better or worse than the average by +/- 1 or 2 points."

Each pop unit represents around a million people. Wouldn't that get you a pretty average overall distribution?

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old January 30th, 2003, 02:07 AM

Corporal

klausD is on a distinguished road

Seems, SEV will have a real time tactical engine like starfury. (according to Malfador interview at this site http://rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=39)
Old January 30th, 2003, 02:40 AM

Sergeant

rextorres is on a distinguished road

Improved micromanagement features:

Be able to give the launch order to planets from the colonies list.

Be able to send ships or fleets to waypoints, give launch orders to waypoints or pick up and drop troops from the Ship/Units list instead of having to go to each individual ship

Allow sorting in the retrofitting menu and the ship fleeting menu.