.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:31 PM

Private

Davidious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3rd party Apps wishlist

Quote:
I keep waiting for someone to just make some unit sheets. Anyone can do that with screen capture and a paint program (and more patience than I have). Even if they did them one group at a time it would help.
as pointed out in another topic, just doing it that way requires some touch up as well and we're talking LOTS of pictures, so tons of work.

plus I'd really like to get the 'action' pose .tga 's and I don't think there's an easy way to do that without extracting the pictures.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:39 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Davidious:
quote:
I keep waiting for someone to just make some unit sheets. Anyone can do that with screen capture and a paint program (and more patience than I have). Even if they did them one group at a time it would help.
as pointed out in another topic, just doing it that way requires some touch up as well and we're talking LOTS of pictures, so tons of work.

plus I'd really like to get the 'action' pose .tga 's and I don't think there's an easy way to do that without extracting the pictures.

Well, if you start Dominions with the -xxx option, you should get a completely black battle-field; which should reduce the amount of touch-up you'll need. Of course, if you want _both_ images of the unit (standard and attack) you're in for some work.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:50 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Leif_-:
Well, if you start Dominions with the -xxx option, you should get a completely black battle-field; which should reduce the amount of touch-up you'll need. Of course, if you want _both_ images of the unit (standard and attack) you're in for some work.
Some work. But from what Ive seen it looks like moving one small section and maybe some pixel editing. I mean the barbarain chief moves his sword from above his head to out in front of him.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Private

Hozzy is on a distinguished road

I'm not even sure this could be done, I'd like to have a app that would keep a record of your top ten or twenty slain commanders. The ranking could be exactly like the Hall of Fame but with all your units...It would make for a great After-The-Game comparison.
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

a watchdog routine for hotseat games that have a slow player. It could watch for the trn files to change and then play a sound.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:25 AM

Private

Tominator2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
New addition: I didnt think of it because its definetly in an area of programming I do badly at. A 3rd party program which can plot the fastest course from xxx to yyy. Read in the .map file and array the neighbor commands. Work out the shortest route.
Psuedo-code follows:

code:
We'll need a queue class "queue" and a list class "path".

The queue class is pretty standard.

The path class is just like a queue, except that it needs to support a "LastArea( )" method, which will return the most recently enqueued
element (addArea is just enq). Also, it will need a contains(x) method which returns true if the path already contains x.

We'll assume that:
- areas are represented by numbers
- travel always takes one "turn"
- there is an adjacency function adj(x, y) which returns true if x is adjacent to y, and false otherwise (e.g. return map[x][y]))
- we start in area 0

path start = new path(0);
queue q = new queue;
q.enq(start);

path ans;
ans = findPath(start);

path findPath(queue q, int goalArea) {
path curPath = q.deq( );
int curNode = curPath.LastArea( );
for (i = 1; i < numAreas; i++) {
if (adj(curNode, i)) {
if (i == goalArea) {
return curPath;
} else {
if (!path.contains(i)) {
path tmp = new path(curPath);
q.enq(tmp.addArea(i));
}
}
}
}

findPath(q, goalArea);
}

There might be a bug or two in the above code - I haven't tested it. In any case, it's a pretty straightforward breadth-first search. It's not nearly as efficient as Dijkstra's algorithm, but it is nice in that it keeps around partial paths (another function might prune a path for some game-related reason). I can't say I know anything about extracting data from .map files.

Quote:
An addition would be to add terrain and have it avoid either land or water.
A simple change to the adj function.

Quote:
Or even figure in terrain factors such as flyers and forest-moving units
Now it starts getting complicated, and you'll probably want an A* algorithm. I can do that, if you want to go that way.

[ March 09, 2004, 02:18: Message edited by: Tominator2 ]
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK in the new patch is a switch to do a scoredump. FANTASTIC work. It creates an html file with tables. Its the numbers instead of a chart, and that one turn only. (I now have that feature turned on in my solo games and a browser open to it on my harddrive)

But the progression is nice to see also. Maybe some webby person could write something that saves the score.html into numbered Versions, and shows them with a next/Last button. Or shows the Last few days all on one page. I dont know tables well enough to know if thats hard. Maybe frames?

I know there are free graphic programs out there. Preferably Linux. A program could extract the numbers from each score.html and maybe even recreate the line-graph scoreboard into a jpg.
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I know there is a really nice 3rd party app for multiple game saves and multiple god saves.

But I was thinking that the --preexec could copy the turn files to a subdirectory before each processing. But then I realized that it wouldnt offer anything since going to that previous save would be the same as just hitting "redo from start" on a turn file.

However, if someone put a counter in it... something easy to change. Have it count the turns or pull the number from the score.html and divide it by the requested save-count. Such as if I had a game called MyGame then this program culd make a directory beneath that called saves. Every 10th processing it could copy the turn files from MyGame to MyGame/saves before doing the hosting.
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Good news. The language of my choice (yet another basic) is going to add a "binder" to create standalone programs (windows and linux) so I might go ahead and tackle a few of these.
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:58 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
I know there is a really nice 3rd party app for multiple game saves and multiple god saves.

But I was thinking that the --preexec could copy the turn files to a subdirectory before each processing. But then I realized that it wouldnt offer anything since going to that previous save would be the same as just hitting "redo from start" on a turn file.

However, if someone put a counter in it... something easy to change. Have it count the turns or pull the number from the score.html and divide it by the requested save-count. Such as if I had a game called MyGame then this program culd make a directory beneath that called saves. Every 10th processing it could copy the turn files from MyGame to MyGame/saves before doing the hosting.
Does --preexec work? I tried it, and it apparently wasn't recognized...

If anyone's interested, I have a bash script that can be used as a --postexec to to backup the .trn and .2h files for a whole game. It's very kludgy, as it creates an additional file to "remember" the turn number, and it still has path problems, and...

Oh, and since it uses bash, and standard unix commands, it's much easier to use on a Linux machine. To use it on Windows, you'll have to have a set of standard Unix commands installed.