World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: We Are All Now Criminals Under The Law

Quote:
MrToxin said:
They can't read every message that goes through MySpace, Atrocities.
No of course not, but they can however run each message through a filtering program that is set up to detect key words and phrases. If the US Government can do it looking for terrorist activity, then I am sure MySpace can too. And besides, you all hate FOX News, and they are both owned by the same parent company so I would suspect that being sued would come as a welcome happenstance to you all.
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Saying myspace is responsible for the messages sent by its users is like saying that since a rock fell from space and hit my car the FAA/Norad/Airforce/Nasa is responsible for repairs.
Well if the FAA/Norad/Airforce/Nasa are responsible for putting that rock into space in the first place then ya, they are responsible for it when it comes back home to roost.

Your analogy is, while valid, is kinda misleading. If your going to compare holding myspace responsible for the abuse it uses can levy against each other then you should compare it to people suing the fast food industry for making them fat. Didn't work out to well the first go around, but then again when it was tobacco being sued it took years before those bastards had to pay up. Give it time, some slimy trial lawyer who has gotten fat off of ripping people off while managing their loved ones estates will figure out how to beat the system and win a huge judgment against Myspace or other similar site over something like this.
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

false imprisonment not equal to bullying people.
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:23 PM

First Lieutenant

I wasn't saying you can hold myspace responsible for user-generated content, I was saying it's silly and impractical and frivolous to do so.

And it's very true about loop holes in the law. One lawyer once said "For every crime, there must be an exception"

Of course, tobacco lost their suits because they were deliberately selling an addictive substance that killed their customer base off, and marketed to children among other crimes, and attempted to bury said evidence.

Eating fast food is a choice in favor of laziness and sloth. While they sell a hopelessly disgusting product, they aren't using highly addictive substances, just preying on our own ability to be lazy turds. When people sued them, they used the tobacco lawsuit format and lost. They could've sued on the fact some of their food-products aren't even made from food.

Now as for message filtering, I don't see that as being viable as it can generate numerous false-positives.

Now what myspace can do is implement a system of

1.) tracking and storing all of that data for evidence in case something does happen. This could be used for data-filtering in the future if such technology can be made viable.
2.) create a system where people can seek help from myspace and/or out abusive users and user harassment without fear of reprisals.
3.) work with state and federal authorities to craft legislation to help prosecute people who abuse others on line.
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:24 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Excellent suggestions. I have to say that your are 100% spot on with everything you said in your post. That is one of the reasons I think this forum has survived for so long, it is filled with good people, not low brow name calling jerks like virtually every other forum on the net these days.
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:31 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

I've never understood it when I read of how fast food supposedly tastes bad. If it supposedly tastes so bad why do so many people eat it?. I quite like the occasional KFC Chicken Burger, and some chips. Real chicken. I can't stand McDonalds beef burgers though. It's just bits stuck together, and overcooked. I always assumed that was my personal taste though. I prefer juicy meat, Mcdonalds would be closed down if they tried to sell meat that still had blood in it (It's called blue). I only have fast food maybe 2 or 3 times a year though.

We have a chain, i suppose it's international, called Hungry Jacks.

"you can't get better than Hungry Jacks"

um actually yes you can. I tried their chicken burger made from real processed chicken bits and won't go back there on principle.

You know actually it seems Fast food is bad after all. Hmm I suppose I never noticed since as I said I very much like a Bacon and cheese chicken burger on rare occasions.

Now what you call Luncheon meat, urg. My philsophy is a reasonable amount of real food, I always have some turkey or Ham in thefridge, rather than processed meat and crisps all the time. I enjoy trying out new recipes, incidentally trying to find out the secret of KFC. I have my own recipe for fried chicken, and am always trying new food. Most common food I find incredibly bland and try new spices and sauces. It's gotten to the stage where I find chilli pepper a bit boring.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

If you rent one movie this year, make it Super Size Me. Just watch that movie.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM

First Lieutenant

If your do watch it, watch the deleted scenes as well.

You won't eat for a month
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Well the manufacturers do have a point. One I agree with. Of course your cholesterol and weight will go up if you eat McDonalds 3 times a day for what, 6 months.

On the rare occasion I do go to KFC I never upsize. I find the whole meal a filling treat, but intentionally getting more chips and drink is just being greedy. I did get such a thing on the house last time, but that was only because they were delayed and I guess it was payment for waiting. I didn't realise till I got home.

Incidentally I have a condition called Ménière's disease. There is way too much salt in food these days, and it destroyed the hearing in my right ear. When I was diagnosed I think I had 6, maybe 10, times as much sodium in my system as was healthy. I only put a little bit of salt on my food once a week, on fridays when I have fish and chips. This is why I use other spices, like pepper, or chili. If you urinate 10 times a day it means you have too much sodium in your system.

I gradually weaned myself off salt, and these days eating anything with the amount of salt I used to have makes me want to throw up, it's so strong. Just standing near chips at the shop makes my temeprature go up. I won't tell you what happens to the skin in my mouth if I eat salt and vinegar.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Sergeant

GuyOfDoom is on a distinguished road

Just a point of reference for people, but "Hungry Jack's" in Australia is "Burger King" in the US.