.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:13 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why do you play dominions?

The answer depends on your objective for the game, because Dominions is by its nature a competitive game where there can ultimately be only one. If you want to win, you need to use all the effective means at your disposal, at which point ganging up on others becomes a requirement, as explained to you in detail.

If you don't care about winning, you can skip that and play any way you like and see how far you get. For this reason, single player is better for sandbox games where you can try whatever strategies you like. Of course, the AI will never be as rewarding an opponent as a human player.
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:53 AM

First Lieutenant

ghoul31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
It's not our respect you need, it's your own. Man the **** up.
Man up and gank someone 3 on 1. LOL
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:17 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

It is not the first time that a group or forum or channel has been charged as elite or having limited parameters of an acceptable Dom3 game. There were even efforts made to declare them as "official". It does no good to argue the point. Just find another group. (altho be aware that they may have such aceptable parameters also but are just ones more acceptable to you)

As far as how MP or Solo plays I only ask that both be given equal chances. If MP vanilla and Solo vanilla are being compared then that is fair. Both haves mods and maps for them so if they are used for one they should be given a chance on the other for judgement.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Corporal

SsSam is on a distinguished road

I'm known on another forum by a different handle. I used this handle here instead of the other one because I didn't want my enemies to know I was asking for advice/help. So, I guess winning means something.

That said if you play 8 person games. You're doing pretty well if you win two or three of those, which means you'll lose a lot. And when you play against folks who are just plain better than you are ...well, you will lose even more. That's tough when a pbem game can take 3-4 months or longer.

Just about everywhere players limit some behaviors as nuisance behaviors. I shouldn't send you slave collars or a bunch of slave collars to fill up your inventory. I shouldn't attack with scouts set to run away in order to try and slow down your main army. And of course the big no-no no metagaming. So, it isn't always just about the winning, but about the experience.

FWIW I do still enjoy solo games. By playing with the number of nations, semirand and the noindy modes I can create challenge situations.

I found when I was starting out that I often had other goals than winning simply because everybody else in the field knew more about the game than I did. Lasting to turn 24. Executing a Rush even if I knew it was going to end badly as everybody else ganged up on me. Lasting to the end of the game in a 7 players take 4 capitols game. Those are specific mini-goals that make sense for somebody who is learning. Of course, if you are can last to the end of the game....You need to work on developing end game strategies that will put you over the top.
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:04 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoul31 View Post
Quote:
What i mean is stop pretending to be some kind of victim.
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM

Sergeant

Ylvali is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoul31 View Post
Quote:
That's what SHE said
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:31 PM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The prevailing opinion was, play to win. and only play to win.
The question was not asked that way. You are inferring an answer to this question from a different question.
And to come back to the other forum question, your point was about ganking. Why gang? To win. If you expect people to do their utmost to win, they won't avoid it.

If I play SP, I clearly don't play to win the game. Never.
If I play MP, then I can play to win or to roleplay depending on the game. In both cases, the goal (roleplay or victory) is not what matters. What matters is how you get there. However, it's important in a MP game that people share the same goals. If you play an MP game to try that new "rush-my-neighbour-with-markatas" strategy, then you will likely have fun and lose. However, your targetted victim will likely not have fun and lose. Whereas if you both played to win, you'd share the same goals, and your neighbour would know what he can expect of you.
If you don't play for the same reason as other people in a MP game, you're simply running the risk of ruining the game for some of the participants.

Quote:
is winning the only thing?
No, but in a game with no other factors defined early on, then it is the only goal you can expect from other players. The important thing is to know what everyone is after. In a competitive game on a forum dedicated to dedicated games, that's what you can expect.
Playing against other players who try to win mean you have to play better. It is fun to find ways of beating someone and also to lose to someone who managed better tricks/tactics/strategies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDiCesare For This Useful Post:
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM

First Lieutenant

parone is an unknown quantity at this point

fanto, im all done over in invision and never even checked in after my last post. i can imagine it's been lots of fun since then, but i think i'll skip it.

that said, your post here is a bit mind boggling in its presumption, self servingness and innaccuracy.

i want your respect? no, i really don't. i don't know you. your respect may be something very valuable, and worth earning. then again, you may traffik under aged sex slaves. either way, your respect isn't something im after.

and to infer i have no self respect due to the fact that i have a different viewpoint on a computer game than you do is a little bizarre.

im not trying to be antagonistic here, but that post was a doozy.
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:09 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

It was honestly not meant as an insult.

What I mean is that you have actively portrayed yourself first as a bad player and then as a victim of abuse.

Both these stances are self degrading, and I think that is unhealthy for you and frustrating for everyone else.

You might have different intentions, but that's how it looks.
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:19 PM

First Lieutenant

parone is an unknown quantity at this point

fair enough fanto. you will experience no more frustrations, which is good for everyone else, and also good for me. we are all better off, and if we can leave it that way, that is uncommon. and good!
Closed Thread