.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Single Age mod

The banners mod will work fine with the vanilla nations in this mod, yeah.

I'm thinking maybe I should put a non-sticky copy of the modlist over in the general forum to encourage some people to come over here. I guess all the modding babble can see a bit daunting to people who just want more toys to play with.
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

That might be a good idea. If they stepped in before that list was done and saw nothing but a bunch of conversations they didnt understand it might have blown them off.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Sergeant

Horst F. JENS is on a distinguished road

Great work, Gandalf, i was waiting long time for such a mod.
I noted some problem with the "filler" nations:
You can select to play a Not-yet-existing nation like "Early Manchaka - Time of the Lions" but if doing so, you are unable to recruit any national units.
I testet your mod with all the conceptual balance mods (1.0) and it seem to work fine.
Very nice.
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thats how those nations are in the game. My mod only makes them available. However its a good starting point if you want to. Go ahead and add a few troops to each one.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

I'm considering hosting a game with this mod.

Question - did you ever test the below process and verify that people can select their nation and play?

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
So far, this is the workaround Im considering for actually trying to run a full MP game with this mod. Ive found that my server will happily run the game once it is created. But the initial signup might be a problem. By the way, if anyone else wants to beat me to the punch and offer this as an MP game that is fine with me.

Im thinking of having 3 signup "games".
Era 1 (early) on port 7111
Era 2 (mid) on port 7222
Era 3 (late) on port 7333
all running with no start-button.

That way people can upload their gods. When Im ready to start then I will take down those three "games" and copy all of the god files into one game directory for MegaGame on port 7321. I will run first hosting as if it was a pbem game. Then turn the game on for normal play after that.
Old April 28th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yes I got it to work but I couldnt get it to work quite the way I wanted to. (fully automatable for my lazy self)

This is the best Ive gotten so far. After the above arrangement with 3 signup "games", I had to rename all of the received files from the transmitted name such as early_ulm.2h to the pre-transmitted names such as early_ulm_1.2h (the way that dom keeps track of multiple god choices for a nation is to add 0 thru whatever on the name but its stripped when you send it).

Then send all of the sent god files to my desktop WinXP machine and put them all into an empty savedgames/newlords directory (I made a complete copy of the game into a different directory for this so I dont overwrite my own god-builds).

Then I started a game as if it was going to be a hotseat game for myself. I turned on the SingleAge mod, started an early era game, and "joined" as human players for all the nations. (I just realized that I probably could have just set the second player to human and hit "n" until it stopped adding since that would have added all the nations in random order instead of spending so long setting each one manually).

THEN I had to go thru each of the joins and "Load Pretender God" for each one to load in the god they sent me. Then hit start.

Once the ftherland file was generated I could transfer the entire game directory back to my server and run it as a server game.

I have tested it as far as being able to start a game with early, mid, late arcos and have the server run it. I did have a snag when I tried more something about "more than one player cant play the same nation" but it might have been something I did. Im just too easily distracted to to all that crap for 75 nations. PLEASE find an easier way to make it work.

It MIGHT be possible to do the same thing without transfering the files to a windows machine but Im not very fluent in the linux gui environment. For a graphic environment I use windows.

This is going to be a problem for any modded nations. The game is willing to RUN a game with them, but it wont allow signup over the net. So the games will either have to be started the way I just laid out, or as pbem.

Gandalf Parker
Old April 28th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:

I have tested it as far as being able to start a game with early, mid, late arcos and have the server run it. I did have a snag when I tried more something about "more than one player cant play the same nation" but it might have been something I did.

Gandalf Parker
Thats what I'm concerned about. Once the server is ready, can all the multi-nations connect and select which version of arco they want to play without error? I would have thought the mechanism for selecting which pre-loaded nation to play would have been tied into the same as the mechanism for selecting which empty nation to play...
Old April 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Colonel

BTW if you actually tried to process a turn like that it would have errored out because you have the same CD-key...

I would like to test it with a few volunteers. Anyone up for a quick test if I setup the server(s)? This is just to see if you can upload/connect and play a single turn...
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Just to update this thread.....

The SingleAge mod has been updated to include the nations from the last upgrade patch. And should also be up to date for the next couple of upgrade patches (Fomoria and Gath)

The discussion on how the mod would work in a big game has of course proven true. Both the pros and cons. Check out the thread on the Perpetuality game.

The Perpetuality game is using a mod which includes my SingleAge mod, and the Streamers and Standards mod, and a couple of small fixit mods. I would very much like to incorporate the Streamers and Standards mod into this one if it is ever brought up to date in a way that I like.
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:57 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Nice work, Gandalf-any desire to make a version that incorporates various mod-nations as well?