This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old June 15th, 2007, 05:41 AM

Private

Templar is on a distinguished road
Default Range Check Error

Hi, I recently purchased starfury, retail cd came with v1.17 patch, I have been getting some random, some consistant range check errors playing the game, some on starting a new game during generation, some when the game first loads, first game I managed to play for awhile without the error had a error during save saying cannot save 2.map, changed galaxy and saved again fine, but not long after got a range check error, and tried to resume the game failed during reading the header, entering the load game screen caused a range check error, restarted, resumed game worked again but not long after started recieving more range check errors, started a new game, and still get those errors, any ideas on how to fix this problem?
Specs:
Starfury stock v1.17, Campaign 1
AMD64 Dual Core 3800+
2Gb memory
WinXP Pro SP2, all winupdates
nVidia 6600GT, 94.24 drivers (May 31, 2007)

DirectX 9.0c, dxdiag shows no errors
Device manager shows all devices are working fine.
Windows has been recently formated a few days ago, done a scan with adaware to be sure and all clean.
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Range Check Error

They're sending CDs with 1.17 on it now?
I suppose the standard thing to try is to delete and give the game another install try.

I'm not sure what would cause range check errors if you weren't modding the game yet.
It might be best to ask over at strategy first, if their forums are working yet, since they're the new official distributor and they'll have more experience with the latest CD.
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Private

Cool thanks, I will see what they say, reinstalled the game and still get random range check errors flying around and checking through space ports and stuff, bit annoying
Edit.
There website links to http://www.spaceempires5.com/ for the forums on Starfury forum.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM

Private

tp555 is on a distinguished road

I only got the retail cd.Comes in v 1.17.Don't have any problems. I'd try the reinstall.Maybe a bad file someplace.regards.
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:04 AM

Private

Tried reinstalling a few times, even reinstalling video card drivers didnt help
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Private

tp555 is on a distinguished road

Don't know what causes range check errors.A file not being read? What's your setup? Are you running a raid setup? Is the dual core cpu not playing nice? I don't know.I have single core amd 3200 and single Hard drive. I don't have any problems.When you start modding you get errors,but not stock.
regards.
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:54 AM

Private

No raid setup, not sure about dual core causing problems, some older games don't like the newer hardware, other games run fine with it, including se5, guess I'm just unlucky
Also added starfury to the dep safe list, no change, tried turning it off, didn't seem to help either..
Old October 5th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Private

Cboath is on a distinguished road

I also get Range check errors on clicking Play for star Fury 1.17 digital distribution and i also have an AMD 3800+. I originally played it on a P4 2.6 GHZ Hyperthreaded CPU.

I have 2 legit copies, first one having problems with Digital River sending new activation key for new hardware and I can at least start playing the game with the install. 2nd install i cant even launch the game, as i get constant Range Check Errors. I will try and maybe use Compatibility mode or play with the Settings in game.

EDIT:

I think I fixed my range check error. Right click on Shortcut for Star Fury, select properties, click on Compatibility tab and I selected Run This Program In Compatibility Mode For: Windows 98 / Windows ME. Now i can start the game at least. I had other problems too like textures not loading and random range check errors before on first install, hope they dont occur.