.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 28th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road
Default Religious Uprising Feature: moddable?

I just thought of a crazy idea that actually makes a lot of sense. What about the ability to "Dominion flip" provinces? Basically, when the people of a province worship your god strongly enough, they rebel against the army in control there. If they win, the province becomes yours. Two situations would arise from this:

1) Neutral territories might become attacked repeatedly and whittled down until they become yours.

2) Enemy territories with no/low PD might actually become yours.

The chance of an uprising would be dependent on the level of dominion there, of course [modified; see posts below]. The attacking force would be pretty small, but maybe it would get larger each time [also updated below]. It would be a force made up of locally recruitable troops.

I'm not saying dominion doesn't do enough in this game, but this idea came to me while writing an AAR and it just seems to make a lot of sense, role playing wise. If you can get the people of a province to worship you enough, they join your team.

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Would this be moddable?

Are you sure it didn't come up while playing Civ?
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:26 AM

Sergeant

okiN is on a distinguished road

It certainly does sound familiar. Might work, but the required dominion for a rebellion would have to be pretty high to keep it balanced.
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Corporal

Tyrian is on a distinguished road

The force and the probability of the attack can be proportionnal to the actual dominions in the province. The order/turmoil balance can also have an effet.
For example:
chance of attack: dominion% +3% by rank of turmoil/-3% by rank of order

Attacker force equivalent to 20 gold * dominions

With that sort of mechanism, the majority of the attack can be easely beaten by some cheap defense (like 10).

The unrest and population can also play a role in this.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

Default Religious Uprising Feature

Quote:
okiN said:
Might work, but the required dominion for a rebellion would have to be pretty high to keep it balanced.
Not necessarily. If the attacks never happen unless its a high Dominion, then you'd rarely see this take useful effect in the game. Rather, I think it would be balanced more by the scale of the uprising than its frequency. If there is a 5% chance of an uprising in a province with only 1 enemy candle, it doesn't necessarily mean that its unbalanced, because if that province has at least 5 PD, it will be fine.

Good points, Tyrian. I was thinking the scale would be something like this: for every 1 candle of enemy dominion, the rebelling force should be beaten off by an average PD of 5. I also think the uprising chance should be slightly effected by dominion strength, though. Maybe 1% per candle. Also, unrest increases this percentage according to this scale:

1 - 10: 10%%* increase
11 - 20: 20%% increase
21 - 30: 30%% increase
31 - 40: 40%% increase
...etc
* - %% means an increase of the increase; not a direct increase.

Example:
A turmoil-3 province with 10 enemy dominion* and 100 unrest would have a 38% chance of an uprising per turn. [10% (Dominion) +9% (Scales) x 200% (Unrest) = 38%]

Example:
An order-3 province with 10 enemy dominion* and zero unrest would have a 0% chance of an uprising per turn. In fact, order-3 with zero unrest cannot even have an uprising unless the enemy dominion level has reached 10 or higher. [10% (Dominion) -9% (Scales) x 100% (Unrest) = 1%]

Example:
An order-0 province with 10 unrest and 10 enemy dominion* would have a 11% chance of an uprising per turn. [10% (Dominion) +0% (Scales) x 110% (Unrest) = 11%]

* -- This attack would require an average of 35 PD to fight off (this takes into account that PD levels after 20+ give double the troops)

Keep in mind that these examples use enemy Dominion levels of 10, which is someone being absolutely steamrolled by enemy Dominion.

=$=
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:45 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Religious Uprising Feature

With regards to creating an attack force:
If that's too good it could also be done so that provinces in enemy dominion got unrest per turn. Maybe even scripted so that, say if unrest = 300 -(10xdominion) + 1 per point of pd + 1 per unit stationed there, the province flips automatically. Without the province flipping trigger, it basically puts an income penalty on people that expand a lot beyond their dominion, and doesn't even add much micromanagement, because of the new auto-tax system. With the province flipping part, unrest causing spells, and spies become (more) powerfull weapons for people with really strong dominion. The above unrest formula is actually pretty lenient, you could make it alot worse (you need 200 unrest, even with dominion -10, for the province to flip) Good vs Mictlan though.
There's probably something glaringly wrong with that forumula, but I can't see it. The actual numbers would need tweaking of course, but I think it might work in concept.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

That's a neat idea, too. I especially like the fact that both ideas are very similar in outcome. In both cases, spreading dominion and increasing unrest together make a powerful combination. :-) This is a new game mechanic... spies are good for not only decreasing resources, but possibly even stealing a territory.

I can only think of one flaw that needs to be compensated for in your idea: military presence. How would the game handle flipping a province if an enemy army is located there? The army would simply retake the province on the same turn. Even just leaving one weak commader there would be good enough to keep the province from flipping.

=$=
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:16 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Ideas sound kind of interesting, but some of them would have huge impact on the game. Like having to go over provinces every turn to ensure "adequate PD/dominion ratio". The only solution I can see here is to make sure defending against province flipping is impractical. To make it realistic, maybe there should be uprising army proportional to the population while the chances of rebellion are proportional to turmoil and dominion strength. If the rebels army has 1000+ regular units (perhaps one of those that can be recruited?) in it, nothing short of having major army or SC in the province would help, so it wouldn't cause any noticeable extra management.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:02 AM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If the rebels army has 1000+ regular units (perhaps one of those that can be recruited?) in it, nothing short of having major army or SC in the province would help, so it wouldn't cause any noticeable extra management.
But then the person who gets the new territory has a huge army, and would either a) go on a rampage and take tons of provinces, which would be kinda cool, but overpowering, or b) have a bunch of crappy troop (like militia event but x20) and have to suicide them, which is a pain. (unless dom3 has a disband command)
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:29 AM

Corporal

Arker is on a distinguished road

They could automatically disband after the battle.