BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old May 10th, 2022, 03:09 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default Glancing hits

Interesting moment, French Milan team fires on a T-72 and gets a glancing hit. Not something I expected from ATGMs, but still an interesting turn of events. Another reason I like this game.
Old May 10th, 2022, 03:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Glancing hits

There was a video in Syria where a T55 had a glancing ATGM moment IIRC.
Old May 10th, 2022, 04:05 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Glancing hits

I can see this as a distinct possibility with the MILAN.

Less so with MILAN 2 "The missile together with the warhead was enlarged to 115 mm for greater armor penetration. It penetrates 550 mm or rolled homogenous armor."

MILAN 2T, "The 2T marked the introduction of a tandem HEAT warhead in the MILAN system." Late 80's on. If a tandem warhead "bounces" you better just quit the field and buy a lottery ticket.
Also; This missile penetrates 880 mm of rolled homogenous armor behind ERA.

I'll assume the following are in the game at least for France...
[b]MILAN 3 125mm missile in 1996.

MILAN ADT introduced a lighter firing "post" for the MILAN 3 with integrated thermal sights for day/night operation in 2006.

MILAN ER with a range out to 3km, new ADT and "This missile penetrates 1 000 mm of rolled homogenous armor behind ERA" Also the ADT is backward compatible with all older MILAN missiles. The implication here is though still range restricted by type, the accuracy would be greatly enhanced by the optics and targeting systems onboard this ADT.

That tells me if they ever get it fielded, this ATGW would fairly easily take out a T-14 ARMATA.
https://www.military-today.com/missiles/milan.htm

The above is very much in line with other refs.

In all the years I've played this game, I never saw this happen.

Karagin if this happened recently, GO BUY THAT LOTTERY TICKET!!

Aeraaa it sounds like your video "bounce" happened awhile back, I don't know, the magic might not still be there.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2022, 04:50 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

Yeah, my French force died 7 turns later. Something about light armor vs heavy...yeah they slaughter my guys, no matter how much I tried to use terrain, etc...only saw the glancing hit by ATGM once in the whole battle.
Old May 10th, 2022, 04:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Interesting moment, French Milan team fires on a T-72 and gets a glancing hit. Not something I expected from ATGMs, but still an interesting turn of events. Another reason I like this game.

There was that video posted that looked like a Light AT weapon fired from a second story skimming the top of a T-72............ so sorta like that

I changed it to glancing because it had been hit with no effect and "glancing" better describes what is simulated

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2022, 05:20 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post

There was that video posted that looked like a Light AT weapon fired from a second story skimming the top of a T-72............ so sorta like that

I changed it to glancing because it had been hit with no effect and "glancing" better describes what is simulated
That was the video of the NLAW fired within minimum range IIRC. It still set a fuel tank on fire or at least damaged something on the far side of the tank.

"Glancing" hit was originally "track hit" and has been called other things as time went on, it is basically "Bounced off" - ie a no-effect hit. Whether from fuse failure, skipping off at an angle, passing between the roadwheels or an 88mm shot passing through a light tank Mk VI's tinplate protection and not touching any crew mwmber as it did so - does not matter a jot. Its simply a NO EFFECT result, which happens in real life because of Murphy's Laws.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: