.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default CBM 1.6 Piecemeal Edition

At Maerlande's suggestion, I made a new thread for this, since it would otherwise be so easily lost in the main CBM thread.

----------------------

For people who may like to use different portions of the CBM mod but don't want to use all of it, here is the solution to your problems:

Conceptual Balance Mod v1.6: The Piecemeal Edition

You can download the mod from here. The same location also houses the Better Independents mod, the Dom3 DB and the Faerun map.

I have copy-pasted the text of the readme file I created for the CBM Piecemeal Edition (included in the zip file):

------------

The CBM 1.6 Piecemeal Edition contains the (almost) unaltered CBM 1.6 mod, but it is chopped up to sections. The complete CBM version is also included, but uses a different banner than the original CBM complete. Some minor things have also been fixed in this version (see below).

CHANGES AND FIXES
  • The selectnation31 typo for the Locksmith hero is fixed.
  • Duplicate entry for Pike has been removed from weapons section
  • Weapons & armor changes are organized so that modifications to existing weapons and armor come before adding new weapons or armor.
  • All weapon modding for existing weapons selects them by weapon number instead of name
  • The weapons and armor section has been moved to the top of the mod code in the complete version. This was done to ensure maximum compliance with good modding practices, since weapons and armor are more basic entities than units. Any new ones must be defined before being used by any unit, so moving the code to the beginning guarantees this.

BANNERS

All mod banners for the CBM Piecemeal Edition were made by Ballbarian. You can customize the pic for the complete mod if you like, because there are several alternatives.

SECTIONS

Each section deals with a specific aspect of the game:
  • Pretenders
  • Scales
  • Spells
  • Nations
  • Items (two versions)
  • Heroes (the old Worthy Heroes plus modifications)
  • Independents

All sections of the mod except Scales contain the fixed weapons and armor section to guarantee compatibility. Any changes should be done in a single mod and the entire section replaced across all the sections.

There are two versions of the item mod:
  • The "GG off" version makes the fever fetish, clam of pearls and bloodstone artifacts
  • The "GG on" version leaves them unaltered

The CB Independents mod contains all the CB modifications to independent units, which allows mixing and matching for better compatibility with other mods such as Better Independents.

The Worthy Heroes mod sections and its subsequent additions during the course of CBM development have been renamed CB Heroes for the sake of simplicity.

The site mods to Whispering Woods and Farm of Plenty are included in the Nations section. Since these changes do not assign altered or new units and only change the rarity, they are placed out of order in terms of mod command processing (see modding manual). This change does not result in anything being broken.

There is a combo file that combines the Whispering Woods and Farm of Plenty site modifications, pretenders and scales all in one file named Gods & Scales for convenience. This is originally for my own convenience, since Pretenders and Scales are the portions I most frequently use.

ATTENTION! The complete version of CBM in this package is NOT compatible with the original CBM from the main thread!

It has a different file name that uses the naming convention shared by the other Piecemeal Edition mods and it has fixed some of the minor bugs in the original 1.6 CBM mod. If this full CBM version is used in a MP game, all the players must have this version enabled, not the original one. For the next version of CBM, the Piecemeal Edition full version will also have a different mod name (such as "CBM Piecemeal All") to differentiate from the main one, unless the naming convention for the original changes.

Last edited by Edi; June 17th, 2010 at 02:22 PM..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old April 25th, 2010, 12:25 AM

Private

anotherkenlon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CBM 1.6 Piecemeal Edition

You might want to add the Worthy_Heroes directory to the download - it's missing at the moment, and has caused some problems with a game I'm starting.

Thanks!
Old April 25th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Updated zip file with the Worthy Heroes directory uploaded. The original deficient zip file has been deleted.
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:51 PM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

just a suggestion for future CBM updates:

Why not reduce the Transformation spell research requisites from Alt7 to Alt3 or 4? To keep it balanced, we could increase the gem cost to 5...

As it is, Transformation, while a cool spell, is rarely used because when it shows up it is useless except for very niche uses (high maintenance nature mages).
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:08 AM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

If I enable the complete CBM mod in the piece-meal version, will it be compatible with the original CBM mod (in a MP game)?
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalgenesis View Post
If I enable the complete CBM mod in the piece-meal version, will it be compatible with the original CBM mod (in a MP game)?
No, since the filename is different and this version has the fixes that are missing from the original.

So use the official full CBM, not the one from this package.
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im very glad to see this. I was considering linking to such breakdowns that are in use on other Dom3 forums where if CBM is used at all it tends to be piecemeals. Now, considering your wonderful record at keeping things up to date, I think Id rather link to this one over there.
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Im very glad to see this. I was considering linking to such breakdowns that are in use on other Dom3 forums where if CBM is used at all it tends to be piecemeals. Now, considering your wonderful record at keeping things up to date, I think Id rather link to this one over there.
Be my guest, Gandalf. This one will stay stable. When tehre is a new release of CBM, I expect I will do a piecemeal edition of that as well. The full CBM here uses the same naming convention that the pieces do, so this makes for a fully customizable set.