BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old April 22nd, 2021, 03:49 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default M4 Carbine Range question

Okay, I noticed that the game has the M4 Carbine with a range of 4 making it 200 meters for the game if the hexes are 50 meters, why?

The carbine has a range of 500 meters and we are trained to hit targets at 300 meters. Should it not be the effective range of the weapon for the game as well since the setup, based on my understanding, that the longer out the range the less damage and chance of hitting is still in play?

On the flip side, you guys give the M16A/M4 ACOG a range of 9. By the way, the M16A4 is only used by the USMC. Then the M4A1 Carbine, which is nothing but a full-auto version of the M4 the range of 7.

I am trying to understand the logic behind how the ranges for these weapons were decided upon since even the open-source material on the net and the TM for the rifles all agree that 500 meters are the range of Carbine.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 04:53 PM

Sergeant

cbreedon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: M4 Carbine Range question

Not sure what the logic was with the designers but I edit the ranges to 9 on all the M4/M16 types in the OOBs I use.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 07:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

1/ The M4 carbine has had a range of 4 since 2002 and it's now 2021 ...nineteen years ...the VERY FIRST release....and in that time one ( 1 ) person ( you..) has questioned it and 2002 was before I took on the totally wonderful job of trying to keep these things straight so IDK what "the logic behind" that particular decision was exactly and since it's never been mentioned before I'd have to guess it's use was considered to be more for short range close combat situations rather than long-range shooting. That's my guess... the other is the guy who put it in f%*ked up and it took 19 years to be noticed

2/ Weapons with better than iron sights get to shoot further that's why AGOG etc are a bit more than standard along with increase accuracy makes them more effective

3/ The M4A1 Carbine is 7 but it started life in 2008 at 4 just like the M4 but in 2016 was upgraded to 7 and I would suggest since I do not have an Edenic memory ( but I do keep copies of the past release OOB's ) that some unnamed player mentioned the range was too short for the M4A1 at 4 and it was changed but the M4 was overlooked.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 26th, 2021 at 01:59 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 22nd, 2021, 07:45 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

The original M4, with just iron sights, while it can certainly shoot further has an "effective" engagement range of about 200m. While you can, if you have the luxury of lining up the perfect shot, hit at greater ranges chances are you won't.

Same applies to the original M16 with iron sights, about 400m is the best you can expect.

As game standards SMGs have a range of 100-150m, carbines 2-300m, smaller caliber assault rifles 400m, battle rifles 500m, sniper rifles 750m.

WinSPMBT is not a simulation, it's a game, thus many things are less, and sometimes more, effective then they are real life because in the game an assault rifle is an assault rifle is an assault rifle. It doesn't matter if it's an M16, AK47, FAMAS, SA80, G36, etc.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old April 22nd, 2021, 09:01 PM

BANNED USER

Easy enough to change via MobHack, and with Iron sights on the M4 I can hit a 300-meter target twice, we get 40 rounds to qualify with, and to get the expert qualification you need to hit 39-40 targets that pop up. So I know it has a range of hitting better than 200 meters that you are claiming for the game.

Same with the M16, but hey like you said it's a game, so I will adjust things to better reflect the game to my liking.

Also, your logic doesn't explain why the other weapons have the nefted ranges, the M16A4/M4 ACOG combo...the ACOG is an optic sight it doesn't increase the range of the weapons it's used on. But as you said it's a game.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 09:04 PM

BANNED USER

Thanks for the input DRG and the rest. As I said I will adjust it via MobHack for my enjoyment.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 09:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Easy enough to change via MobHack, and with Iron sights on the M4 I can hit a 300-meter target twice, we get 40 rounds to qualify with, and to get the expert qualification you need to hit 39-40 targets that pop up. So I know it has a range of hitting better than 200 meters that you are claiming for the game.

Same with the M16, but hey like you said it's a game, so I will adjust things to better reflect the game to my liking.

Also, your logic doesn't explain why the other weapons have the nefted ranges, the M16A4/M4 ACOG combo...the ACOG is an optic sight it doesn't increase the range of the weapons it's used on. But as you said it's a game.
The " logic" with the optic sight is it gives it a greater effective range and that's why they have a slight increase in range and accuracy over a stock iron sight version. There is a better chance of hitting a target further away with one

By all means, edit the OOB however you like it's why we have included MOBHack since day one

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 22nd, 2021 at 09:55 PM..
Old April 23rd, 2021, 01:37 AM

Lieutenant General

Personally I edit the heck out of many things

In general I increase the accuracy of MGs and reduce the damage, they're GREAT at suppression but don't hit anyone that often except in unusual situations, say firing an MG42 into a landing craft as the ramp is lowered.

For much the same reasons as you are I increase the range of the M16 from 8 to 9 (in the USMC you have to hit a target at least 50% of the time at 500m to qualify and hit it's bullseye at least 50% of the time to qualify as "expert. I do wonder with the new optical sights how many people now qualify as expert...).

I also increase the accuracy and reduce the damage for grenades.

And dramatically increase the accuracy of gattling guns.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old April 24th, 2021, 01:59 AM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

Question for those questioning accuracy or range. When the weapon is tested, is it being held at waist level, shoulder level or balanced on a bipod. In my 40 plus year old experience an R-1 [the South African version of the FN-FAL] was much more accurate when fired on semi-auto than on full auto, and much much more accurate when fired on a bipod. Also, the effective range was about 450 metres from waist level, 500 from shoulder level, and 550 metres from a bipod. But that is just one rifleman's experience. What do others say.

IMHO, leave the ranges as they are.

troopie
Old April 24th, 2021, 08:20 AM

Lieutenant General

Depends on the weapon.

They are "bench tested" to determine their inherent accuracy. No weapon is 100% accurate, variations in the powder charge, heat warping of the barrel, etc. means no two weapons, even of the exact same type are equally accurate. But if that inherent accuracy is to variable between weapons of the same type most military's won't adopt the weapon for service.

Then they are fired in their normal mode, handguns hand held, rifles shoulder fired, machineguns on a bi or tripod. Chances are no two military forces will agree on what the "effective" range of a weapon is (i.e. the US Army and USMC have long differed over the effective range of the M16).

Some weapons have multiple modes of fire, say a light or many medium machineguns, shoulder, bipod, tripod; thus may have three effective ranges based on the mode of fire.

There is no "international standard" if that's what you thought.