.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 13th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road
Default Any improvements in the tactical part of the game?

I'm a little disappointed to find nothing about this in the announced features, but for me the 1st priority for an improvement of dominions is the tactical part of the game : how combats work, especially after round 5. If the unpredictable results have some charm, I think that long battles are too much out of control in dom2, making victory too often the result of random choices made by the tactical AI, when most important fights are 10+ rounds long.

Is the scripting for mages going to continue to be limited to 5 orders without more precise options than "cast spells", "attack" or "retreat" after ? (I hope there will be a final order like "cast summoning/dammage/buff spells in priority", or a "repeat orders from x" option -seems easy to implement and more precise, after the 5 first rounds the mage repeat for example the orders 3,4,5 as long as he can-). And/or consigns like "never cast spells of this school/path" (to say for example to a water/fire mage to use only his fire spells as he's with creatures sensible to cold), "never use gems after your script", etc...

Or will the tactical AI for mages be improved at least (or are we going to see mages continue to cast all the shields they can after round 5 even when the closest ennemy is at 40' and engaged, or to kill their own companions by casting heath or cold auras, or to summon lots of useless troops when they should use damage spells, as the troops are blocked at the entrance of a fortress ? or to make strange uses of their gems, etc...) ?

Will the orders for the troops / commanders remain all the same (without an option for example to say to a pack of mounted archers to fire and use their superior movement to stay at range -the first time I played dom2 I was thinking that "fire and flee" was for this kind of guerilla, and was very disapointed to see my skirmishers definitively retreating instead of fleeing melee to continue to harass their opponents- , or to say to a mage to go at the appropriate range then cast his spell -how many short range spells are never used in scripts because of the lack of this order ?-, etc...)

Anyway, I will buy and play dom3 even if there is no improvement in this area, and I'm pleased by all other announced features and to see such a lot of content added to the game, but I will be really decieved if the battle system / scripting / tactical AI are all exactly the same (what will mean even more chaotic battles in dom3, as we will have more troops the fights will be longer, but if it's with the same options / scripts limited to 5 rounds it's the out of control phase that will be longer).
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any improvements in the tactical part of the g

I agree.

However, while it seems to me that sixth-stage commands like "cast summoning/damage/buff" or "cast damage/buff/summon" should be easy to implement or add (since each would merely require an additional set of number costant definitions for the tactical AI spell selection, i.e. a different weight for each spell), I doubt that we will see such improvements:

1. While it would be nice to have this control, it certainly means longer turn times for human players: In Dom2 this tactical control is already important, but it could be neglected in many cases with a player using some template scripts saved to the scripting-shortcut-keys. This speeds things up. A powerful tactical setup means that one really has to set up the army again and again for each battle individually. This is clearly a good and a bad thing... (I would like it, but I would never finish a turn anymore since I suffer from being pedantic... )

2. Such control will most certainly exploit much more inbalances within the game. A game with thousands of monsters and hundreds of spells just cannot be completely balanced without being boring. More tactical control will allow players to exploit this, making balancing even more difficult. The tactical AI evens things out, because everyone has to live with it. It helps the game to appear well balanced.

3. More tactical control will make playing against computer controlled nations probably more easier. In my humble opinion Dominions is and should be a multiplayer-only game. However, the single-player community seems strong from what we can learn on this forum, so while everyone might welcome more choice for the tactical AI, players will then complain again about the "bad AI", for whatever that really means. For me it's good enough to learn the game or to test a map...

So, summing up, for these three reasons, I do not expect any major improvements for Dom3 in this aspect of the game. Maybe some commands to make light cavalry units useful somehow, since this has been extensively criticised for Dom2 in past time in my perception. But who am I to guess? Let us wait and see...
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:58 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

Having even minor improvements in the battle scripting would be fantastic.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:14 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

It would be nice even if the scripting went from 5 commands to 7 commands... I look forward to seeing what the game has available.
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I dont think that a features list has been posted for Dom3.
It might not even be finalized.

I have heard the devs make references to AI so apparently some attention is being put there but we wont get to debate any of it until the release. We might want to return to the Dom2 forums and develop some real AI strategies, then test them. That might be helpful.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:26 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Argitoth is on a distinguished road

The battles in Dom2 make up at least half the game, if not more. It should have been on the top of their "To Improve" list before they began Dom3. I would be very surprised if we didn't see some kind of improvement.
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:30 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any improvements in the tactical part of the game?

[quoteor to summon lots of useless troops when they should use damage spells, as the troops are blocked at the entrance of a fortress

[/quote]

So how, specifically, would you test for this particular case without screwing up the other cases where you would want summoning to go on indefinitely?
Old April 15th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any improvements in the tactical part of the game?

I've listed several possible improvements but of course in some cases it's one of the other.

If there is a "cast summoning spells" combat option after the 5 scripted orders, it's up to the player to use or not this order. If he's storming a fortress with a sufficient number of troops his last order should be "cast dammage spells" or "cast buff spells".

If the AI is improved, it's one the hundred situations formulaes should be made for. Don't know how the tactical AI works in dom2, but I think the choice of a spell should be based some kind of situationnal value, and of course a storm fort situation is not the same as a normal fight in open lands.

Something like :

value of a summoning spell = [(value of ennemy troops + value of summonable unit - value of your already engaged troops) with a minimum, for example value of ennemy troops /10] x situationnal number for the summonable unit type

("value of troops" = (hp + medium stat) x number of units for example or other quality and quantity based formula)

And the situationnal value of melee troops when storming fortress should be something like (size of the gates/number of already engaged melee troop) + (0,1 x number of losses last turn), when the situationnal value of flyers is for example 1.

In this example if you have already 3 x more melee troops than the number the size of the gates allow to fight and not lost any in the last round, the value of a spell summoning melee troops will be only 1/3 of the value of a spell summoning flyers, and probably far inferior to the value of a dammage spell based on another formula (taking in account for example the number of ennemies at spell range, their vulnerability to this spell, etc).
Old April 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

It sounds good. At least its 200% better than the ones who say "broke" then when asked for suggestions have nothing more than "make it not broke".
Have you tested it? I cant tell from looking at it if Id want Johan to spend a ton of time programming it in then have the beta-testers spend a ton of time testing it.

Try putting it down on paper, even if you have to guess at some variables. Then try playing a game with you, and one other nation which you swear to play only by the thing you wrote down. And remember to try it with most of the nations (it does no good to come up with a formula that makes Ulm stronger and Caelum weaker). Also keep in mind small-map tactics dont always translate to big-map taces and vice versa.

If we could get working formulas for summoning, troop purchases, mage purchases, research, and structure building then this could be a game with decent solo-play along with great multi-play. Of course it might make the hosting take a couple of hours on big games but I could actually play with that.

Id be interested in the results.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

How would he test it? AFAIK, there's no way to control commander's spellcasting beyond turn 5. Neither there's a way to query the situation in the battle. I'm not sure about the general suggested formula, because in many cases it won't be particularly good plan, but curbing summoning in easier cases, like storming the castle, with this approach should work.