.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT-favorite movie lines

Can we just quote a whole movie?
Ghost Busters
----
Dr. Peter Venkman: NOBODY steps on a church in my town.
------------------------
Janine Melnitz: [on the phone] Is it just a mist, or does it have arms and legs?
---------------------------------
Dana Barrett: [possessed by Zuul] Take me now, subcreature.
------------------------------
Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, “biblical”?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes…
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.
----------------------------------------
Gozer:
Are you a god?
Dr. Raymond Stantz:
No?
Gozer:
Then . . . die!
--------------------------------------
Winston Zeddemore:
[W]hen someone asks you "if you're a god?" you say, "Yes!"
--------------------------------------
Dr. Raymond Stantz:
Good evening. As a duly designated representative of the City, County, and State of New York, I order you to cease any, and all, supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.
-----------------------------------
Dr. Peter Venkman:
Let's show this prehistoric ***** how we do things downtown!
----------------------------------
Dr. Raymond Stantz:
It can't be!
Dr. Peter Venkman:
What is it?!
Dr. Raymond Stantz:
It can't be!
Dr. Peter Venkman:
What did you do, Ray?!
Winston Zeddemore:
Oh, sh**!
Dr. Raymond Stantz:
It's the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.
---------------------------------
Winston Zeddemore: Hey, wait a minute. Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! Hold it! Now, are we actually gonna go before a federal judge, and tell him that some moldy Babylonian god is going to drop in on Central Park West, and start tearing up the city?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Sumerian, not Babylonian.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yeah. Big difference.
------------------------------
Dr. Egon Spengler: Vinz, you said before you were waiting for a sign. What sign are you waiting for?
Louis: Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!
-------------------------
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
"that which does not kill us, makes us stranger"

Originally an Aeon Flux quote, from the second full length episode, I believe. The Joker also says it in the new Batman, I'd say its more of an easter egg there than a rip-off; they knew their inspirations, and cult influences of the mid-90's were very prominent. In fact, I found the same interplays, juxtapostions, and themes from Aeon Flux were all touched upon in that movie. I smelled a little Twisted Metal too; but that's probably just the psycho clown.
Originally?

What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888
German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Kids these days.

"That's no ordinary rabbit!" - I wish I could directly tie that to something Dominions, obviously we need a Demon Rabbit summons.

"It's just a flesh wound!" - An unnamed Utgardian warrior, after losing his second eye in the current KingMaker game.
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:31 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

"It won't make any difference" - said to Ripley by Newt in 'Aliens', in reference to the marines being there to help fight the aliens.

Can be applied to many areas of Dominions, but possibly best used to describe all proposed methods of trying to beat LA Ermor once they've got a dominant position established.

--------------------

Gandalf P, "What did you do Ray?" is definately the best GB quote :-) And can be applied to any mage in Dominions who decides to cast a random spell of his own choosing rather than the one you told him to. I know all my mages tend to be called 'Ray' because of this :-)
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:36 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

"Good? Bad? I've got the gun"
Everlovin' Bruce Campbell, in Army of Darkness,
the un-director's cut.
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

AdmiralZhao is on a distinguished road

This isn't quite a quote, but I think it's clear the Golden Army from HellBoy2 was taken directly from the Dominions spell list.
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The HellBoy movie will probably provide us with lots of good quotes.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:09 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
JimMorrison said:
Quote:
Omnirizon said:
"that which does not kill us, makes us stranger"

Originally an Aeon Flux quote, from the second full length episode, I believe. The Joker also says it in the new Batman, I'd say its more of an easter egg there than a rip-off; they knew their inspirations, and cult influences of the mid-90's were very prominent. In fact, I found the same interplays, juxtapostions, and themes from Aeon Flux were all touched upon in that movie. I smelled a little Twisted Metal too; but that's probably just the psycho clown.
Originally?

What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888
German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Kids these days.

read the quote a little more carefully. its a play on nietzsche. i'd suggest watching the aeon episode too, it was from the first run of full lengths, when Peter Chung was still doing most of the work making them, so its really good. i don't know if you can find them online streaming, but i know there is a torrent out there somewhere, i'd even suggest buying the DVD; they're more than just cool, their cult. you're friends will be amazed.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:12 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Calahan said:
"It won't make any difference" - said to Ripley by Newt in 'Aliens', in reference to the marines being there to help fight the aliens.

Can be applied to many areas of Dominions, but possibly best used to describe all proposed methods of trying to beat LA Ermor once they've got a dominant position established.

--------------------

Gandalf P, "What did you do Ray?" is definately the best GB quote :-) And can be applied to any mage in Dominions who decides to cast a random spell of his own choosing rather than the one you told him to. I know all my mages tend to be called 'Ray' because of this :-)
Oh oh! "They mostly come at night..... mostly."

And I have to say, my favorite from Ghostbusters would be, "I'm a bit fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing."

And Omni, you got me, I did not see that as -stranger-. I think because because of how you said "originally an Aeon Flux quote", it just hit me square between the eyes. And I know Aeon Flux, I used to watch it on MTV when it was still just shorts, that often had no dialog, or perceptible plot even, but we still loved it.

Also, the bonus quote, 5 points to whoever gets it-

"They sucked his brains out."

Obviously refers to Illithids..... or does it?!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:32 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

People criticized Aeon Flux by saying that it was just pure nonsense put together in a way that looked smart. Peter Chung himself said "a little ambiguity goes a long way..." However he also commented that using ambiguity effectively takes skill and hard work. I for one believe he wrote his shorts with more deliberation than most can understand. Take Gravity (the second short) for instance. Aeon is chasing down someone, we don't know who, when she falls out of an airplane. Falling towards her doom, she uses a grapple gun, shoots it's _LINE_ and hits a _BRIDGE_. While doing this, she notices something happening on the ground. she pulls out her binoculars and starts watching as she is falling. Now, instead of saving her life by swinging under the bridge, she is paying too much attention to whatever is happening on the ground. Eventually, she falls, hangs herself off the bridge on her own line while watching this stuff.

She was hung by the LINE off the BRIDGE, in every sense of the word. The writer had built a plot bridge, a way for Aeon to save herself, and a plot-line, something interesting happening for Aeon to follow. However she got so caught up in the plot line that she got hung on it.

Some people say that's pure nonsense, and that if I am seeing anything there, it is my imagination. I completely disagree, the writer had a deliberate message. That particular short had a little more obvious message than most of them, but I think they all have deliberation behind their poststructural, postmodern, mazes of images and rhetoric.

EDIT: hmm, I think my Aspergers is showing tonight, I'm a little too interested in and insist on talking about one subject, and it has to do with language and philosophy; classic symptoms. Sorry bout all that.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:09 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
The HellBoy movie will probably provide us with lots of good quotes.
Nations created from the Hellboy2 movie, Narnia movies, and others would probably be quiet popular especially for SP gamers. Some of these may have modders worried about intellectual property rights, yet I've heard as long as no money or advertising is being made from these creations there's no worry. I also heard it could cause a concern for shrapnelgames, otherwise I would be working on a Sauron nation mod.... who wouldn't want to take an army and fight that eyeball at his capital OR battle the witch king!