.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Random New Questions

In an MP game there is a lot of discussion about the critical factors.

Generally it was thought that diplomacy trumped knowledge of the game.

After that there are a lot of important factors.

In the early game, a fast start is *hugely* important. Gold has some importance.

By the end of the game, gold is almost of no import - but gems and research - are.

A construction 20, or a conjuration 20 site - is essentially worth 5-10 gems per turn.

So those sites are nice: The sites that make me take notice however are the sites that allow me to fill a gap I don't have: So for example summoning moon mages / priests. Enchantresses. These let me cast a path I don't have.

And con-50 sites, etc are just simply too good to be true. Those sites can make or break the game by themselves.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:17 AM

Corporal

Amonchakad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturas View Post
Oops, almost forgot: How do terror/frighten work? Do theyf orce the targeted enemy units to take morale checks ala fear, or do they lower he enemy morale, or both?
I just ran a test game, and here are the conclusions:

- Frighten lowers morale by 6, it stacks, and it looks like it doesn't enfore a morale check

-Terror lowers morale by 5, stacks with both itself and frighten, and looks like it forces a check (i had a squad routing immediately after terror without taking a single hit,so it should be that)

As i said they stack,so they can even reduce morale to negative with repeated castings, but the affected unit recover morale, getting back to the original value after 2-3 turns

While I'm here, can anyone answer another newb question?
I'v read in a lot of posts that, theorically, enemy dominion with good scales doesn't affect your lands(so at best you can remove your negative scale,but the enemy's Order and Production won't help).Now, I've ran some tests and it looks like an enemy's good dominion helps just as a friendly one; was this changed in a patch or what?
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:07 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

Whilst there's a file here, here's a question.

One player orders an army to move conventionally by land 2 provinces, through A to B, with no other route possible. The second player 'cuts' his route by taking province A (that the army needs to move through), during the magic phase. Does the army still move to the intended location (province B) anyway, does it attack province A, or does it not move?
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

I think units recover 3 morale per turn if it has been reduced by fear, by the way. At least, that's the only value I've noticed the times I've checked.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agema View Post
Whilst there's a file here, here's a question.

One player orders an army to move conventionally by land 2 provinces, through A to B, with no other route possible. The second player 'cuts' his route by taking province A (that the army needs to move through), during the magic phase. Does the army still move to the intended location (province B) anyway, does it attack province A, or does it not move?
Tested. If you're moving across multiple provinces, you get to move all the way first (as you're moving in friendly provinces), THEN the enemy attacks and conquers the province(s) in between.

My question is still waiting an answer anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to Amonchakad For This Useful Post:
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Amonchaked: Did you test that with a magic phase attack? Teleport, Send Horror or the like?
Those do come before movement, even between friendly provinces.

Agema: I believe the morale recovery only happens for units that aren't in melee. At the very least it doesn't seem to happen to units surrounding an SC with a fear aura.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
Amonchaked: Did you test that with a magic phase attack? Teleport, Send Horror or the like?
Those do come before movement, even between friendly provinces.

Agema: I believe the morale recovery only happens for units that aren't in melee. At the very least it doesn't seem to happen to units surrounding an SC with a fear aura.
Just did.As all magic attacks happen before the movement phase, any movement who passes through a province that was conquered by the enemy in the magic phase will be canceled(the units will just stay in the province where they were the last turn).
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty certain that Frighten does cause a morale check. I have used it to drive off indies without ever hurting them. Panic does not though, IIRC. Panic is also different in that it doesn't affect your own troops if it hits them.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:01 PM

Private

Arcturas is on a distinguished road

Amonchakad: My limited understanding is that enemy dominion with good scales affects you based on the specific scale. So luck -> misfortune, i.e. if I have 2 black candles in a luck 2 province I will experience more bad events. I get this mostly from Baalz' guide to one of the 'heims.

Magic/Drain seem like they're a little finicky. For instance, I currently have an enarie (normally 6 RP, 7 RP with 1 star) in enemy dom 5 with magic 3. It's still 7 RP, so I know it's not getting the RP bonus from magic. It, however, has a -1 MR. I don't know if Magic 3 gives all units -1 MR (drain gives + MR, no?), so it may be that in enemy dominion you get all negative effects of the scales, but not positive effects.

I am pretty sure the heat/cold scales work the same all the time. Order/turmoil and productivity/sloth I don't know at all.

Movement and Battles:

I think it works in turn order. First, all magic. So the ritual spells like teleport & remote summoning go off, triggering battles if necessary. Second, friendly movement (movement to/from friendly territories). Then you move to/from enemy provinces.

I don't know how it works if there are armies moving into each other, or in a triangle. For instance, 3 provinces A-B-C, where all 3 are connected to each other, with 3 different countries moving armies simultaneously. Naively I assume it's simple UnitID order, presumably with the same sort order as the magic phase. Magic phase is resolved either ascending or descending by UnitID, chosen randomly each turn.

I think an army cannot move if it has engaged in a battle during the movement phase. So if you move into my army's province, my army stays put after the battle even if I gave it orders to advance. That's why sometimes if you issue move orders to attack a province, your army can remain pinned down by an enemy army.

I do not know if magic phase battles prevent armies from moving.
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

As far as movement goes:
In each phase (ritual or normal) all movement is resolved before any battles are. In the ritual phase, all teleports, remote summons, etc take place, then any necessary battles are resolved. I believe those occur in UnitId (or reversed UnitId) order. That also applies to remote attacks, such as Mind Hunts. They may or may not find teleporting mages depending on that order.

Magic phase battles do not prevent armies from moving. Except, of course, armies that lose.

In the normal phase, all movement to friendly provinces happens, then into enemy provinces. Order is not important. In three province example where A->B->C->A, (all different nations) each movement will succeed and a battle occur in all 3 provinces. No army would be caught or pinned down.
Only when an army is invading a province from which an enemy army is attacking them is there a chance of the army not moving. In that case, A->B->A, both armies may fight in A or in B or may miss each other and swap provinces.

There is (or was?) also a rare, but sometimes repeating, movement bug, where armies will refuse to move.