winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Star Legacy Development Group > Star Legacy

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Private

MarcoPolo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Combat Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kolis View Post
Well, sorry this isn't the most definitive answer, but right now we're still at the point of trying to be flexible in terms of singleplayer vs. multiplayer and network vs. PBEM... that's probably a significant part of the reason the combat issue is so thorny - we want to create a satisfying singleplayer experience without making multiplayer too complex or too different from singleplayer! I personally think strategic combat with detailed fleet setup and planning, but little to no player involvement once the battle's started (a la Gratuitous Space Battles) would be a good compromise, but then that might be my bias for multiplayer speaking! One idea that was proposed, though, was to do battles similarly to GSB as described, but in singleplayer and network games (but not in PBEM) to break the battle down into phases - say, every 30 seconds the game pauses and you can adjust your fleet's tactics to take enemy fleet composition and tactics into account!

Yes, I suppose that does imply real-time combat... sorry for the confusion about having "decided" on a turn-based system! Not sure where Alikiwi got that idea, and he's not working with us anymore... the whole combat resolution mechanic is really still up in the air; I'm just presenting here the option that came up and I remembered and I liked!
I am also with you on the GSB type combat resolution. I think anything that doesn't detract from the real substance to this game is a positive thing. Combat for Turn Based games is always a sticky issue. For now I think you made the right choice. GSB is quite novel in how it sets a battleground and just lets the player set their basic formation up and worry less about other things. I wonder will the players be able to at least move the units around or head them off to one particular focus point in the battles?

Well it sounds like you guys are at least moving along from what seemed an unworkable impasse. For that I congratulate you fellas. I personally was really not looking forward to a SEIV clone. I hope your game proves to be a step in the right direction filled with engaging gameplay and innovative ideas.
Old July 7th, 2010, 02:27 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the encouragement!

As a side note, Nick (SJ) and I were just discussing a "tactical points" system - I suppose it could be considered similar to those found in some newer RPG's? - where in addition to a time cost, every command has a "tactical points" cost, where tactical points are generated by things like crew and computer systems, and gradually regenerate over time. I was thinking that crew would regen faster, but computers would store more, so crewed ships would be more flexible than computer-controlled ones, but have less endurance for sustained combat!
Old July 10th, 2010, 02:13 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

That sounds very interesting - how would it work in PBEM games?

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:38 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Sort of command & control? In which case would think Elite units should get more than rookies making them more flexible in combat.
Old July 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

The combat AI would have to allocate the tactical points, instead of the player.

But, it looks like we're not going to use the TP system... too complex for a game of this scope, according to several team members! Looks more likely that we'll just have crew requirements that are evaluated per combat round/tick, so if you try to fire the uberlaser requiring 50 crew AND activate the cloaking device requiring 25 crew in the same phase, say, then only one of those commands will execute if you have only 60 crew, instead of the required 75! And computer systems might end up simply reducing crew requirements by a certain factor (e.g. each crewman counts as 10 for purposes of requirements).

Sorry for bringing this up too soon!
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Private

lorq13 is on a distinguished road

One thing I'd like to see concerning combat is the ability to change tactics during a fight. For example; when shields are down, change from short range to maximum range, or when ship loses 1/2 of its armor, go from med range to ramming.