.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old May 24th, 2006, 02:40 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default New Map: Faerun 283

Hello, all! Everybody's old favorite Faerun emerges in its third incarnation. Smaller than ever, the new version only has 283 provinces.

The new version still has all 17 nations on the map and now has victory points assigned to several provinces in the map file. There are a total of around 80 VPs from provinces and when you add the national capital ones, there should be around 100 VPs to go around. With victory condition maximum being 50, this means that there is no need to conquer everything. Suggested VP condition is 35 and up, since smaller numbers favor the western portion of the map too heavily.

Start locations have been somewhat modified so that placement is more evenly distributed and separation between neighbors is equidistant throughout the map. In almost all cases, your neighbors are four provinces away and everyone has three or more neighbors.

Vanheim is an exception, since they have to fight Atlantis from the get-go, and Ulm has fewer neighbors in the NW corner.

Many parts of the map around the Sea of Fallen Stars are now more accessible with the islands turned to port provinces that allow crossing the sea, so it does not act as an impenetrable barrier anymore, but as a series of chokepoints.

Overall, the need for diplomacy is greater since the placement on the map means that any given nation potentially has to fight off three invaders at once.

And where can one download the new map, you ask? Here There Be Dragons. My homepages, sadly lacking as they currently are.

So, go and take a look and tell me what you think. Currently there is only a single map file, but I may release a no specials version if there is demand for one.

Edi

EDIT: Attached a no specials map file to this post. It's not in the archive on my site and uploading a repackaged version would take too damned much time at the moment.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 425694-Faerun_283_NoSpec.zip (7.3 KB, 855 views)
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:53 AM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Map: Faerun 283

You know, you could start making the huge version of this map that can accomodate 60+ nations on it.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:05 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Many thanks Edi, now I might actually finish a game with the Faerun map
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:35 AM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Looks good. Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:04 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you're liking it.

Added a No Specials map file to the opening post. It still has start locations enabled, but everything else has been wiped.

Edi
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

I know I could just play it and see, but I would like to know if you chose suitable terrain for different nations. For instance, were you able to place C'Tis in/near swampland? I'm currently looking for a map that has placement for all 17 nations, with terrain suitable to their play styles.

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:14 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
BigJMoney said:
I know I could just play it and see, but I would like to know if you chose suitable terrain for different nations. For instance, were you able to place C'Tis in/near swampland? I'm currently looking for a map that has placement for all 17 nations, with terrain suitable to their play styles.
The terrain that's suited to a nation are multiple large farmlands for gold interspersed with mountains for magical sites. If you give C'Tis swamps, then those swamps are going to have small populations, and C'Tis will always suffer with a poor gold income.
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:

The terrain that's suited to a nation are multiple large farmlands for gold interspersed with mountains for magical sites. If you give C'Tis swamps, then those swamps are going to have small populations, and C'Tis will always suffer with a poor gold income.
Graeme Dice is right game balance cannot be ignored unless you're playing a singleplayer game.
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

hmm, would be nice in dom3 if different nations benefit from different terrains (abysia gets alot of money from wastelands and mountains, ctis from swamps and maybe forests, pan from forests, caelum from mountains ect)
Old September 24th, 2006, 12:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Okay, I've finally gotten around to playing this map, and it might be my new favorite. I've got a possible bug to report. #56 Lantan can be gotten to by land troops from #93 Nelanther Isles, but once there, you are stuck. My little scout has been shanghai'ed. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Palm.gif[/img][img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Campfire.gif[/img][img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Palm.gif[/img]

Update: Okay, for some weird reason, now that I control a neighboring province, he can relocate. Weird. Also, #197 "High Moor" and #251 "Thar" are both moors, but they are set to waste instead of swamp. Don't know if that was for balance, or what. Seems there's plenty of waste on the map, already.

=$=