.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old September 13th, 2006, 11:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Map - Aomdom

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Beautiful map. Makes me wonder why no one tried to do this earlier.
Actually if you scroll back Ive mentioned many times that other games with map editors should be able to make great maps for Dominions. And I think it was another mention of it that I made which started this.

The surprise is that this time someone went with the idea.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:52 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Yep Gandalf. Your post over in the "Excellent software for mapmakers" topic (Dom3 forum) prompted me do this project. But I must confess that I have been playing around with trying to use old games for dom maps ever since getting dom2. I had looked at using AoM and Age of Kings, but at the time I could not figure out where I had seen the screen capture stuff. Thinking back now, I believe that I had seen a screen shot/logo over at MFO that depicted an entire map. Obviously I didn't search hard enough last time, but the conversation in the other thread prompted me to look for it again. (Thanks!)

I had really wanted to use Age of Wonders. I even went so far as to start a small sprite library of some of the map features to use as pieces in a Dom2 map. I still hope to use some of them in a map someday. That project led me into my HexMap project. I even used it to add the anchors and for guessing neighbors in this map.

BTW Gandalf, your web page of ideas over at dom2minions has been an inspiration to many of my projects (many of which have never seen the light of day and probably never will). I especially like your semi-random map idea. It really got me started on creating my own personal random map generator which is stuck in lack-of-time limbo.

(OT: I hate these smileys . They show too much teeth. )
Map Forge - Map editor
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:43 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ballbarian said: I especially like your semi-random map idea. It really got me started on creating my own personal random map generator which is stuck in lack-of-time limbo.

We're going pretty OT now, but hey, it's your thread!

If you mean a program that randomizes the .map files... I'm in the exact same situation. And so is the program. However, many plans I've had (e.g. to create a game of earlier age, to populate map with tribal civilizations, and even to do earlier, less civilized nations) have been integrated into Dom3.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Im glad to hear all this. I thought I was alone in the area of programs-to-randomize so I kindof dropped all those projects.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If you mean a program that randomizes the .map files...
Exactly what I mean.
I liked Gandalf's idea of creating "sets" of thematic units and sites to populate a given terrain type with. Along the way, I wanted the user to be able to do all of the map editing (even if it wasn't a hex map) from within the editor. Ah well, maybe I will pursue it more after I wear out my Dom3.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:09 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ballbarian said:
Quote:
If you mean a program that randomizes the .map files...
Exactly what I mean.
I liked Gandalf's idea of creating "sets" of thematic units and sites to populate a given terrain type with. Along the way, I wanted the user to be able to do all of the map editing (even if it wasn't a hex map) from within the editor. Ah well, maybe I will pursue it more after I wear out my Dom3.
My idea was just a randomizer, but with the provinces capable of being defined in text files. That way, not only could the poptypes be put on different terrains, but the defender types could be changed, perhaps made a bit more random, and players could do more "unique" provinces with special defenders defending already-known magic sites, or perhaps just group of Abysians and Salamanders defending a Garnet Amazon province...

One thing I'd like to see is an alternative GUI for pretender creation, which would use all the map-editing commands to come up with more possible uses for pretender design points. More starting units, (a commander with) extra gems or magic items, starting mage or priest, a new starting spell, etc. I'm not going to try to do that monster, though, because that'd need a good GUI, and I haven't done anything in that field.
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The majorly cool part of that idea is when you realize that if you are designing pretenders for a map, ANY unit can be a pretender. Aboleth, Harvester of Sorrows, Ancient Presence, Hoburg, Iron Dragon, Wisp, etc etc etc.

Some great provinces can be created also when you put together a province name, terrain, specific magic sites, specific units, equipment, etc.