BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Mods
Notices

Old March 2nd, 2017, 06:07 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road
Default Encyclopaedia entries - open topic

Encouraged by PvtJoker in this subject http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49883 some time ago, I thought, that it would be interesting to add user-made encyclopaedia entries and formations' descriptions at last.

I obviously started with Poland. Attached are 445 text files, that should be copied to ...WinSPWW2\Game Data\Text folder.
Warning: they will overwrite existing files, so you may want to create backup (the simplest way is to copy a whole "Text" folder under a different name, and then you may, in need, switch between original files and modified ones). I didn't overwrite game-related notices, like information about gliders or special usage of sabot ammo, but have overwritten only few descriptions, that had been there, with better (and error-free ) ones.

Overhelming majority of files are new ones, and they help to explain Polish usage of peculiar units, meaning of some names, and give a hint which units should be used on what theatre of operations. Described are most of vehicles, aircraft and watercraft, many guns and some other units, and part of formations, especially in 1939.

----

I intended this thread to be open one, so anyone who feels competent might upload other encyclopaedia files. Rules of creating them are in http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...t=49883&page=2. In short: plain US ASCII character set without any other characters MUST be observed (otherwise the game might crash), lines must be max 53 characters long and end with "*". A useful tool to count characters is a simple text editor, like Notepad++. In formations there is no 53 character limit.

An obligatory disclaimer:

"This mod contains highly altered or additional files that may or will cause interference with the master game files and it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that this mod be installed and played ONLY in a separate copy of the game and NOT run from the master game"

---
For Camo staff: you might consider using the files in the game, without checking all. There exist a couple of Polish descriptions so far, with factual errors (especially in 9TP tank), and typos ("turrent"). I checked correctness of all files during work. If you are interested, I might check all once more, or remove signatures, etc. Otherwise you might remove this message part.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ency_Polish.zip (188.1 KB, 513 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pibwl For This Useful Post:
Old November 2nd, 2017, 04:20 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Encyclopaedia entries - open topic

For Camo staff: maybe you'd consider using the files in a new update? I could modify the files, if it's needed. If you thought it's useful, I could write more descriptions and remarks about usage, eg. of Soviet units.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 07:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Encyclopaedia entries - open topic

Anyone who wants them can get them here.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old November 19th, 2017, 03:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Encyclopaedia entries - open topic

While I am not interested at this time I would advise against adding any more to your collection until after the next patch. We have found and fixed the problem with the code that required writing unit/encyclopaedia text to be such a PITA in the past.

The requirement to adjust sentence length manually with * will no longer be required as of the next patch. All that will still be needed is * to separate paragraphs and text will auto-magically fit on the screen but you will be restricted to three moderate length paragraphs of text

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: