.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 19th, 2022, 06:40 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Ukraine 2021(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Now that I've mentioned the USMC, where's Suhiir?

She last posted 26th May 2021. She does has not replied to emails I have sent though they are not bounced

Given everything that has gone on since 26th May 2021 and that she had pre-existing health issues it doesn't look good
Understood.

She slapped me around a few times in the forum, but she was always firm, fair, and one hell of a gal.

Old February 24th, 2022, 11:40 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ukraine 2021(?)

It's a given that MBT in particular is a game of "what if" battles. That is pretty much why SP2 was created and why we developed SPMBT

A few years back I created a "Goldap" map for SPWW2. Goldap was the first East Prussian city that was captured by the Soviets and over the course of late 1944 it changed hands a few times and is now part of Poland

That map is also in MBT ( map 416 ) I *may* update it for MBT with the city expanded to its current size depending on time available but at the time I built it I put the city in the centre and filled in the terrain around it to the max sized map allowed.

I did not realize until I was mostly done that in a modern Context the "northern" border of that map is almost exactly the border between Poland and the Russian Kaliningrad oblast. It couldn't be closer if I had planned it that way but I didn't. That's just the way it worked out .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goldap.png
Views:	546
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	16613  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 24th, 2022, 07:53 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

I have made a few fairly realistic maps of UA-RU border regions for a fictional MBT campaign, a "what if" invasion of Ukraine taking place in 2023. It was based on a much less ambitious Russian invasion than the real thing taking place now. Essentially I envisioned a single drive on Kyiv using brute force but with no fancy stuff like deep airborne operations and also a Russian efforts at avoiding massive destruction to Ukrainian infrastructure in the wider country, outside the combat zone...

The real deal seems to be a much more complex and brutal operation. Guess I'll have to convert them to winter maps now...

Some images of this fictional setup below (i.e. NOT what is taking place in reality now). Maybe the maps can be used for something else? It's possible that many of these locations fell without much fighting. One of these maps is based on the approaches to Hluchiv along the E38 and the Kleven river crossing at Zarutske. There is footage of about 15 Russian T-72s being zapped along a road, claimed to have been killed in the Hluchiv region by Javelin ATGMs...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post:
Old February 26th, 2022, 07:09 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

I've been away due to work (being so tired from one day that I went straight to sleep and slept through the opening of the war; and then being at work for two straight days due to an ice storm for the first two days of the war).

Looks like the Russians/Belarusians used the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone to pass through for their western pincer on Kiev.

So far with this war we have:
  • Battle of Chernobyl in the Exclusion Zone
  • Failed VDV air assault at Hostomel Airport -- VDV landed in helicopters and were wiped out after 8 hours.
  • Failed VDV airborne landings at Vasylkiv Airport, two IL-76s were shot down (claimed by US officials).

Russian casualties claimed by the Ukrainians for the first 36 hours (I think) are:

100+ tanks
500+ "Armoured Combat Vehicles"
17+ aircraft (helos and jets)
3000~ troops.

I would have downgraded the Ukrainian estimates to 1000~ killed; since after all, you can count burned out wrecks on the battlefield and be sure of vehicle losses; but human losses are hard.

But after the Vasylkiv assault with two IL-76s shot down, I'm inclined now to increase it to 2000~ killed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkSheppard For This Useful Post:
Old February 26th, 2022, 10:10 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post
I have made a few fairly realistic maps of UA-RU border regions for a fictional MBT campaign, a "what if" invasion of Ukraine

If you would like those maps included in the next update forward them to me by mid March

I have added " Citizens Militia" units and formations to the Ukrainian OOB

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 26th, 2022, 11:24 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Relevant to the conversation but slightly off topic ( but only a bit ) I wanted to take a look at the region between the Chernobyl exclusion zone and Kiev

This is the Pripyat east of Chernobyl

https://www.venhola.com/maps/geo.php#30.40,51.21,0

Imagine navigating a boat through that.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pripyat.png
Views:	479
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	16621  

Last edited by DRG; February 26th, 2022 at 01:27 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 26th, 2022, 01:11 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
If you would like those maps included in the next update forward them to me by mid March
Sure thing - couple of question though, most of those Ukr maps are very "summery" maps - what's best here given the somewhat unusual current situation; keep them that way or make them "spring/winterish".

Or make duplicates (summer and winter versions)?

What map slot should I start with?
Old February 26th, 2022, 01:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

"spring/winterish" works for me as a lot of the terrain I added suits that type of map but you can do whatever you like and I will put them into the game

The next open slot is 443

I wish there was an easy way to turn an existing map to another season but there isn't ( we tried when we added "keep contours")

Last edited by DRG; February 26th, 2022 at 03:19 PM..
Old February 26th, 2022, 03:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: Ukraine 2021(?)

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/de...zookas-3587105

Quote:
The Daily Mail reported that 2,000 of these anti-tank missiles had been sent to Ukrainian forces by January, with more possibly on the way – plus a couple of dozen paratroopers to train fighters to use them.

Its reporter on the ground, Nick Craven, reported that Ukrainian Lt Col Ihor Bezogluk had told him: “God save the Queen! Thank you to Great Britain for giving us the NLAWs...

“These missiles have changed the war for us. It means we can fight the Russians and it doesn’t matter how many of them there are now that we have a way of stopping their armour.

“The Russians cannot scare us with numbers anymore.”
Just added to the Ukrainian OOB. The NLAW is a big leap over what they had

Also, the Netherlands seems to be donating 400 PZF-3 launchers as of now (Germany has allowed them to pass through, a change of stance)

Just added to the Ukrainian OOB

basically - there will be a lot of changes in the UKR OOB, (including possible ending...)

Every day is a new day and we can only guess how events will develop

Last edited by DRG; February 26th, 2022 at 03:20 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 26th, 2022, 04:20 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

The 141st Akhmad Kadyrov Special Motorized Regiment of Russia’s National Guard (Rosgvardia) is one of two "Putin's Chechens" units currently in/near Ukraine.

Current story (so far) is that the Russians sent it to Hostomel Airfield as part of the fighting on/near it; and (stories differ):

1.) Ukrainian SBU Alfa Group ambushed one of their columns.
or
2.) Ukrainians called in artillery on one of their columns.

Either way, the CO of the 141st -- Magomed Tushayev -- is now dead.

This makes me wonder how badly that unit was mauled; and whether that tied into Putin's decision to call up more Chechen troops from Groznyy for the Ukrainian War.