The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Ibology > Approaching Infinity

Old July 4th, 2015, 03:49 PM

Private

pzgndr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What makes this game worth $40 more than any other roguelike?

FWIW, I found the AI demo here at Shrapnel, played it, and bought the game when it came out. I've had hours of gameplay and feel I've gotten my money's worth. Looking forward to the next update!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pzgndr For This Useful Post:
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:38 AM

Corporal

DamienPS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzgndr View Post
FWIW, I found the AI demo here at Shrapnel, played it, and bought the game when it came out. I've had hours of gameplay and feel I've gotten my money's worth. Looking forward to the next update!
That's what I did except that I joined the Beta process as well.
Old July 13th, 2015, 07:08 PM

Private

DomMatt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidhawk View Post
I strongly feel that people are not covering this game in the media because average gamers (those that are even aware of its existence) are not taking it seriously at the current price point. The roguelike iron is hot right now, and there is absolutely no other good reason why a fully realized indie effort like AI isn't generating plenty of live streams, LP's, and editorial pieces.

Sorry for the wall o' text. If I didn't care, I really wouldn't have bothered.
Don,

Thanks for this very thoughtful post, it very closely matches my feelings about AI. I care about the game too, but the combination of barriers you mention (especially limited activation DRM) are exactly what have prevented me from making a purchase. I am not anti-DRM, but I am totally against limited activation (yes, I HAVE been burned by it in the past; based on my computer usage history I would use up three activations within a couple of years).

It is frustrating that there seems to be a disconnect between the perceived attitudes of the developers (limited activation is innocuous, it is not meant to impact legitimate buyers at all) and the attitudes of some consumers like me (limited activation has prevented me from enjoying something I paid for, it prevents me from playing when and where I want, and it is awful to think that something intended to prevent piracy is hurtful to honest supporters).

I know I am not saying anything new in this post, I am just adding "+1" more lash to the dead horse in case the developer is considering options for expanding into a larger market.

-Matt
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:28 PM

First Lieutenant

ibol is on a distinguished road

Hi, Matt,
I am the developer, and I do appreciate and understand many of the (IMO) legitimate concerns that have been thoughtfully expressed here.

Quote:
I know I am not saying anything new in this post, I am just adding "+1" more lash to the dead horse in case the developer is considering options for expanding into a larger market.
That being said, I really really really really want to reach a larger market, but, as I've said elsewhere (like my own dead horse), pricing is not up to me at all.

BUT: I have personally said that no one who buys the game and loves it will go without the ability to play it. Meaning, we can squeeze in a few more installs, especially when you are talking about a period of YEARS...
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:22 AM

Corporal

Voidhawk is on a distinguished road

On a more positive note, launching AI with a traditional niche publisher like Shrapnel instead of a mainstream digital service may end up being the right move over the long haul. In addition to the general coolness of getting a box and printed documentation to go along with his game, Mr. Saunders is now officially "published," a status that tends to open many doors for new developers.

His other project, XenoBloom, has garnered enough interest from Steam users to achieve Greenlit status. This plants a proverbial flag for him on that map as well. It will be interesting to see if XenoBloom generates interest in AI, as many Steam gamers are likely to investigate new indie devs that produce interesting games.

As far as Shrapnel's price point: I'll just say that I'm still working at the company responsible for the production of the physical documentation for Dominions 3. I have in front of me the very first 292-page spiral bound manual that rolled off our production line. I know it was the very first because I assembled it myself, with my own two hands. I had read the manual cover-to-cover before the game even came out.

As someone who has been doing this work for over a decade now, I can promise you that small run digital print production is NOT cheap. The big publishers who still deal in on-shelf product employ offset printers and mass produce to keep production costs down. A small publisher like Shrapnel with a relatively limited customer base does not have that luxury.

So while I understand the necessity of pricing on that level, I'm still disappointed that there isn't a more economical and purely digital option for people who just don't want the boxed product.

And the DRM. Grumble grumble.
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:40 PM

Private

dari is on a distinguished road

just calculate $cost per hour of entertainment with a computer game and compare with other entertainment options...or even some other pc games
the only few titles that got even near to AI in this regard (for me) are Bad Company 2 , Master of Orion2, Oblivion, and the ol' Jagged Alliance titles
The Following User Says Thank You to dari For This Useful Post: