.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 11th, 2009, 07:05 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

General Game Information
Name of the Game - CarCrash
Type - llamaserver PBEM (Play By EMail)
Age - Early
Players - 14
Open To - All Players, but some experience advised
Nations - Random ***
Mods - CBM Complete 1.41 (includes Worthy Heroes 1.8) *** http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=42022
Victory Conditions - Hold 50% of capitals for 3 turns (7 out of 14 capitals)

Map - Orania
Independents - 5
Research - Standard
Magic Sites - Default (which is 45 for EA)
Money - Default
Resources - Default
Supplies - Default
Random Events - Default (which is Common)
Re-naming - On
Score Graphs - Off *** (provisional)
Hall Of Fame - 10 ***

Please take note of those settings marked with *** as they are different from the default settings that MP games usually have.

Hosting Schedule, Delays, Stale Turns, AI/Substitutes
A rough schedule will be -
First Turn - 48h.
Turn 2-25 - 30h quickhost.
Turn 26-45 - 54h quickhost.
Turn 45+ - 78h quickhost.

Happy to increase the time between turn hosting at earlier points than indicated if anyone is struggling with the schedule at the time. Having to rush turns, or submit partly completed turns, seriously detracts from a players enjoyment of the game. And a game is always better if everyone is enjoying it.

Ideally, please post in the game thread and PM me if you need a delay, just in case I miss one of them (and so that the other players know what's going on). I'm a friendly admin, so most delays will be granted, but please give as much notice as possible. Since asking for a delay 5 minutes before hosting probably won't do any good. In the early phase any request up to 48 hours should be ok (if you are away over a weekend for example), anything longer may need to be temporarily subbed (or accept a stale). Once the game gets more intense and critical, then longer delays will usually be granted.

Stale turns are always unwelcome, but they are not the end of the world, and I doubt a stale free MP game has ever existed. So can I please ask that players not to drop-out just because of a stale turn or two. If a player stales for 3 consecutive turns then the position will be assessed, and that player will either be turned AI, or a substitute will be sought. In the latter case, the game will be delayed for 48 hours while a search takes place.

If you do have to leave the game for any reason, then please can you let the admin know about it. I understand fully myself that it's not always possible to do this, but it is always highly appreciated if possible And if you can find your own substitute for your position, then that would be even better.

Who Can Play In This Game?
Anyone is welcome to play in this game as it will be open to all players, regardless of their experience or skill level. But please note that newbie players wanting to play can not expect any special leniency from the more experienced players in any way. So please be aware before signing up that this is not a 'Newbie' game, and will likely not be the best environment for new players to learn about the game.

How Do You Select Your Nation?
The nations in this game will be randomly selected. If you are interested in playing then please post in this thread, and I will PM you which nation you have been randomly given. I will also update the game page with this information.

Game Settings and Map
Everything is default except for the Hall Of Fame which I have set at 10 so that only those truly worthy get into it and the Score Graphs which I have disabled. Although I am aware of the lack of Indy scouts available in the Early Age, so I may well enable the Score Graphs if the lack of scouts is considered a major problem in Early Age games.

With regards to the map, I have no real preference which one is used, and have provisionally selected 'Orania' as it has 279 provinces (259 Land / 20 Water) which seems fine for about 15 players. Although I am happy to listen to suggestions about an alternative / better map if anyone has some ideas. 'Orania' also only caters for one water nation, so if a second water nation is randomly selected, then either a new map (possibly the 'No Sites Alexander' map) is required or the second water nation will have to be changed to a random land nation instead. May also need to consider changing the map if no water nations pop up.

I'm happy to consider creating a new random map with fixed starting zones (not starting provinces) if the majority of players prefer it, or are unhappy with a 360 wraparound map (which 'Orania' is). It all depends on what the players are happiest with

Situation Regarding NAP's etc (Non-Aggression Pacts)
No NAP agreements in this game will be considered as inviolable in any way. You are free to sign as many NAP's as you wish, but you do so at your own risk. Also, I personally think that in a game like Dominions 3 there isn't really any such thing as an NAP, since in theory everyone is aiming to win, and there can be only one winner. So all NAP's should instead be considered as Mutual Benefit Agreements, whereby both nations benefit for whatever reason(s) from not engaging in hostilities against the other nation. But the moment one side is no longer benefiting from such an agreement, then that is the moment they are most likely to break them. So if you are ever surprised by a nation breaking an agreement, then maybe you were mistaken with regards to just how important that agreement was to them, or how much they could gain from suddenly attacking you.

Also, if any NAP (or like agreement) is broken in any way, be it intentional, accidental, or whatever, then you have no right what-so-ever to complain about it in the game thread. Please keep this in mind. Any disputes regarding these matters should be dealt with via PM's.

But remember that trade agreements such as a gem/item swap/purchase are a totally different type of agreement to NAP's. You are expected to honour any and all trade agreements that you make.

Banned Spells and Exploits
1.You are not allowed to copy the script orders from Bogus and his friends to others commanders (ie. The 'Fire Commanders' orders).
2.You are not allowed to overload another players lab by sending them lots of items they did not request. Be they worthless or valuable.

I have been out of the Dominions scene for six months, so other things may also get listed here when/if they are brought to my attention.

Final Note To All Players
First I have a request to all players in this game, and that is to read or refamiliarise yourselves with this great set of general tips regarding personal conduct in MP games written by Sheap. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com//showthread.php?t=32050

Also, please can I further emphasise to everyone to firmly keep in mind that Dominions 3 is a computer game. If someone is dishonest and backstabs you in the game, this does not mean that this is how they are in real life. If you honestly believe that people will behave the same in real life as they do in a computer game then I personally think there is something wrong with you, and I would prefer it if you did not sign up for this game.

'Thank You' for your time in reading all this. Good luck and happy gaming to all the players.

Current List of Nations and Players

Calahan - Yomi
Valerius - Vanheim (Incabulos, the original Vanheim player disappeared on turn 22, and Valerius kindly took over on turn 24)
Jazzepi - Sauromatia (Defeated on turn 65. Went AI on turn 58. Kill credited to Yomi, Pangaea and Caelum)
Fantomen - Abysia (Defeated on turn 53. Went AI on turn 38. Kill credited to Tir na n'Og. *** Illuminated One took over on turn 33)
Trumanator - C'tis (Defeated on turn 30. Went AI on turn 23. Kill credited to Yomi)
Executor - Pangaea (Defeated on turn 82. Went AI on turn 65. Original player had to drop due to RL reasons, and no sub could be found)
Phonics - Atlantis (The original player Silence0 went AWOL on turn 74. Phonics kindly took over on turn 78)
Drager - Hinnom (Defeated on turn 32. Went AI on turn 25. Kill credited to Pangaea)
Alpine Joe - Fomoria (Defeated on turn 20. Went AI on turn 12. Kill credited to Sauromatia for making them turn AI)
Pelthin - Niefelheim (The original player was Bluff, but he had to drop due to RL reasons)
charshep - Mictlan (Defeated on turn 67. Went AI on turn 39. Kill credited to Pangaea)
AlgaeNymph - Tir na n'Og (The original player was Zapmeister, with AlgaeNymph kindly taking over on turn 68)
tgbob - Caelum
PsiSoldier - Agartha

Key-
Defeated - This nation no longer has any influence in the land.
Kill - This nation is directly responsible for another nations defeat, or in making them turn AI.
Currently AI - This nation is now controlled by the computer AI.
Enemy of All - This nation is currently hated by most other nations, probably for putting up a game winning global.
Overall Winner - This nations Pretender has become the one true God, and has complete rule of the land.

The above symbol idea was shamelessly stolen by me from a game that 'AreaOfEffect' is admining. Thanks for the idea AoE

Edit: I have added the most recent CBM 1.41 mod for anyone having problems with the inconsistant battle replays.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cb1.41.zip (86.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: zip RawRecruits.zip (2.56 MB, 147 views)
File Type: rar Blackwald v2 [Wolfsbane].rar (3.01 MB, 158 views)
File Type: zip orania.zip (6.90 MB, 93 views)

Last edited by Calahan; March 20th, 2011 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Update Pangaea demise
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:10 PM

BANNED USER

Default How Nice

Oh great, I get Yomi. And there was me hoping my first game back would be a nice powerhouse nation to ease me back into the Dominions world. But instead my brain now gets to hurt right from the off.

No offence intended to the many thousands of Yomi fans out there of course
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Sergeant

Incabulos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CarCrash - New EA Game - CBM - Open To All Players but some MP experience advised

I am game may as well jump in early when the randomness has a more volatile range

edit: ooh Wales... I miss the greenery. Went to Uni in Newport/Caerleon. Already been 12 years... awk!

edit 2: Oh I am assuming graphs off. I prefer avoiding the artificial game device of graphs and prefer people try to figure that kind of info themselves with scouting etc...
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CarCrash - New EA Game - CBM - Open To All Players but some MP experience advised

Count me in!

Jazzepi
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

I´ll play

Edit: Wouldn´t it be better to reveal the nations when signups are full?
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Private

Silence0 is on a distinguished road

Hi all..Can i join? Never played pbem only hot-seat with friends.. I´m willing to let my first one be a bloodshed..and random suits me..
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
Wouldn´t it be better to reveal the nations when signups are full?
That.......is now a very good point. I did think about this to begin with, but then decided against it because I, as admin, would have an unfair advantage because I'd be the only player who knows which other nations are in the game, so could design my Pretender accordingly. But now I've drawn Yomi, it may not be such an issue (again no offence to Yomi lovers)

What do people think? Should I
1)Wait until the game is full, and Pretenders uploaded before I publish the final nation list.
2)Update the list as new players appear.
3)Makes no real difference either way.

Will delay updating the status page until I get some feedback, and had some sleep
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

I'll join.

As far as revealing nations goes, I actually think it could be cool if you published the list after its full, but didn't reveal who's who. Sorta similar to a RAND game.
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Count me in, like random nations games. This system works for me.
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:40 PM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

i'm in