.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM

First Lieutenant

PsiSoldier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CarCrash - New EA Game - CBM - Open To All (Upload Pretenders)

Yeah I worked 13 hours today and I am still trying to fine tune my pretender design. I'm pretty tired right now but I'll work on it some more. Agartha's troops suck so bad even a triple bless cant help them but I'm still playing with my options as Ive never played them before. I guarantee I'll have it in by tomorrow night though at the latest.
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:37 AM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiSoldier View Post
Yeah I worked 13 hours today and I am still trying to fine tune my pretender design. I'm pretty tired right now but I'll work on it some more. Agartha's troops suck so bad even a triple bless cant help them but I'm still playing with my options as Ive never played them before. I guarantee I'll have it in by tomorrow night though at the latest.
Try out the trogs if you haven't. They're low resource cost and clear our indies great. You'll need to get to a critical mass to avoid losing a couple with each province you take. Once you get to that point, though, they can take just about any indy province and you can expand very quickly.

You also need gold for your good mages.

I would go something like this.

Order 3
Sloth 3
Heat 0
Growth 0 (more if you can, to get extra monies early on for trogs)
Misfortune 2
Magic 1

Feel free to raise the growth to pickup some extra income if you have leftover pretender scales. I would probably take an awake great sage to help your magic diversity, and to do researching to turn on your earth mages. If you pay attention to who your neighbors are, you should be able to counter any rushes with, basically just your earth magic, and troop spam. Also, throw earth and blood on your pretender to eventually diversify into blood magic and blood stones.

Earth Meld is great against high defense troops, Armor of Achielles works well against high protection troops (or troops with small numbers in general like neifel giants), and blade wind is great against spammable sacreds that have low protection values.

Jazzepi
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:24 AM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Taking a slight heat scale is also helpful, what with the agarthans being coldblooded.
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:59 AM

First Lieutenant

PsiSoldier is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzepi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiSoldier View Post
Try out the trogs if you haven't. They're low resource cost and clear our indies great. You'll need to get to a critical mass to avoid losing a couple with each province you take. Once you get to that point, though, they can take just about any indy province and you can expand very quickly.

You also need gold for your good mages.

I would go something like this.

Order 3
Sloth 3
Heat 0
Growth 0 (more if you can, to get extra monies early on for trogs)
Misfortune 2
Magic 1

Feel free to raise the growth to pickup some extra income if you have leftover pretender scales. I would probably take an awake great sage to help your magic diversity, and to do researching to turn on your earth mages. If you pay attention to who your neighbors are, you should be able to counter any rushes with, basically just your earth magic, and troop spam. Also, throw earth and blood on your pretender to eventually diversify into blood magic and blood stones.

Earth Meld is great against high defense troops, Armor of Achielles works well against high protection troops (or troops with small numbers in general like neifel giants), and blade wind is great against spammable sacreds that have low protection values.

Jazzepi
Almost the exact design I have been playing with except I was going growth 3 and trying to decide if I should drop some for more magic on my pretender
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

How are those two missing Pretenders looking PsiSoldier, and the still unrevealed Vanheim player?

I'm happy to allow some extra time due to having random nations, and the unfamiliarity that can cause But also wary that some players can lose interest in a game if it takes too long getting started.

So please don't make me send my Bakemono chaff hordes round to sort you out
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Sergeant

Incabulos is on a distinguished road

I will get my pretender in today 9within the next 6 hours or so) figured out what I want to do I just haven't had time (since I am at work).

Sorry for the hold up but Vanheim is new to me.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:54 AM

Corporal

tgbob is on a distinguished road

Heh, beast brother for first turn mercs, who will recruit them? Only time will tell! Be sure to tune in to the next exciting episode of CarCrash!
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:05 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Excellent, we're up and running

Unfortunately I can't check my start location out until I get home from work Can I handle the tension?

Also, a quick note about possible restarts. I'm probably only going to consider restarting if someone gets a game destroying event on turn 1. Like the Ancient Presence or Knight horde for example. Basically, any event that sees you losing control of your capital after the first turn. Huge unrest events are certainly no reason to expect a re-start, and are part of the risks involved in taking misfortune.

I may also consider a restart for Mictlan if they got dom-killed due to a faith reducing event. But Mictlan players should be aware of this danger, and take a non-awake Pretender at their own risk.

And close starting locations are just a regular part of the game. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Certainly not a reason to re-start. Everyone needs to brandish their pen or sword at some point. A close neighbour just means it happens sooner.

Think that covers most variables.

Good Luck Everyone
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
Also, a quick note about possible restarts. I'm probably only going to consider restarting if someone gets a game destroying event on turn 1. Like the Ancient Presence or Knight horde for example. Basically, any event that sees you losing control of your capital after the first turn. Huge unrest events are certainly no reason to expect a re-start, and are part of the risks involved in taking misfortune.
FYI, I believe that one of the developers confirmed that certain events, such as those that you mention, can't happen in the first 3-4 turns.

And honestly, none of those sound like reasons to restart. In Lapis, playing the tomb kings, I've gotten hit by 7-8 knight +militia attacks by turn 21 or so. Oh well :O You just deal with it.

Jazzepi
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

I agree, I like my starting posiotion too much to restart.