.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Private

Ian_Newman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice for american long campaign

As it happens I've just kicked off a long campaign with the American forces. I started straight off with Torch rather than messing about with the Japanese.

I have a similar core force to you - two Cos of leg infantry one Co of Shermans and 5 M10 Tds plus 3 offboard 105mm batteries plus assoerted Foos, towed ATGs. I've used Bazooka squads to support my scouts (the white scout car is really handy as well - I do like the 50cal!).

Shermans can handle the MkIIIs and IVs but it's pretty even so expect losses unless you work from ambush. My first mission was bizzarly a defend and a brace of Tigers did swan into view but then chose to drive along the front giving me 200yds shots into the flank. Even a 75mm can kill big cats at that range in the flank. Not seen any since to my relief!

Your force is nicely balanced but you will need to take advantage of the cover and concealment offered by the Tunisian hills and flora. Even your M10s shouldn't really engage at range - they have brown paper armour and will die if Jerry gets a decent shot back.

I've made full use of big arty air cover and spotter planes and am actually doing much better than when I tried the yanks last time.

When I am advancing or assaulting I do extend the time available and in assaults tend to drop visibility (on the basis that I can choose to some extent when I kick off an attack)

I lead with dismounted scouts and bazooka teams. The scouts can kill ATGs and the bazookas have had some success in stalking panzers. But I do try to get the scouts deep into the defences so I can target artillery. My last mission was an assualt and I risked a FOO with the scouts - big pay off because I'd lined up a lot of 8 inch and 155mm batteries ready and waiting for juicy targets (open topped SPGs are a particular favorite).

Enjoy yourself and good luck old chap...