.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old January 26th, 2009, 02:08 AM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road
Default Advice for american long campaign

What general advice can you give for a long campaign (starting at the earliest possible date) for americans?

The force i went with is looking like 2 companies of infantry, 1 company of armoured infantry, 2 companies of shermans, a few scouts, a battery of self propelled guns and 2 batteries of mortars.

What sort of stuff should I look out for, what is the important upgrades to do, and what should I add to my force ?

I'd like to keep things reasonably historical, but whatever you feel like suggesting
Tactical advice is very welcome too
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice for american long campaign

Vital: Tank destroyers, M10 as soon as you can get it. Same goes for 57mm AT gun, or, if you have indep. ATG battery, 3-inchers (37 and 57 were infantry AT-guns, 3" was for independent TD battalions, both towed and SP). For artillery, M7 Priest is a way to go, has large ammo supply so you do not need ammo trucks.
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek_Tucan View Post
Vital: Tank destroyers, M10 as soon as you can get it. Same goes for 57mm AT gun, or, if you have indep. ATG battery, 3-inchers (37 and 57 were infantry AT-guns, 3" was for independent TD battalions, both towed and SP). For artillery, M7 Priest is a way to go, has large ammo supply so you do not need ammo trucks.
Bazookas as well, soon as available get some squads with these.

Andy
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

True, forgot about them.

As for infantry, keep them healthy. Germans have great LMGs, US has great primary weapon - Garand M1. Thus you can outgun German infantry as long as you keep your inf. squads strong - with rifles, the number of men is important.
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Sergeant

Should I go for squads that contain bazookas, or get independent bazooka teams ?

Good point on the M10's. Definately. The armoured infantry company has 3 37mm guns, so I'll upgrade those as better becomes available.
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:18 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post
Should I go for squads that contain bazookas, or get independent bazooka teams ?

Good point on the M10's. Definately. The armoured infantry company has 3 37mm guns, so I'll upgrade those as better becomes available.
Well, independent bazookas are size 0, so harder to spot, good for abushing and bunker busting, but they have only 2 man, so usually 1 engagement(the so called "shot") is needed to get rid of them when spotted, the squads with them have more men, more weapons, and bigger size... its all your choice, but i would go for bazooka teams as they are cheaper to replace, remember, individual teams can only fight armour
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Sergeant

For the first 3 battles (against the Japanese in 42) I've had the following:

4 scouts (I picked the Fighting Patrol because it looked interesting, but I realized I was using tehm as harassing infantry anyways, so upgraded them to Rangers with 2 BAR's and flamethrowers)
I'll add some actual scouts again, plus a few snipers (love the little buggers) after this (third) battle.

2 companies of infantry. Very solid, and the triple 60mm mortar section is very useful for suppression fire. These guys generally get to slog towards an objective area, and then dig in and fight it out infantry style.
The disparity in troop quality against the Japanese is telling, but they do well enough.
The rifle grenades have inflicted the odd casualty but nothing exceptional. Im thinking when bazookas become available, I'll upgrade the third squad in each platoon, plus the company command squad to include them, then add a couple of independent bazooka teams as well.

1 company of armoured infantry. Their default gear was M1's and SMG, so I upgraded them to the dismount version, which has a .30 cal. Along with all their half tracks, these guys are doing a lot of hard fighting. I need to spread them out more, as they always get shelled by Japanese light arty though.

I almost always play foot infantry, so having these guys zoom across the battlefield to dig in at an objective just as the enemy is reaching it, is a lot of fun.

Shermans, 2 companies. Not sure what the upgrade path will be here. A few Pershings when they come around late war. Otherwise.. a couple of Jumbo's and mostly easy eights ?

A battery of M7's and two mortar batteries. This gives enough firepower it seems, and the M7 is a fantastic unit. Very pleased with these.

I'll add M10's when they show up, but otherwise I think I have what i want. The armoured infantry includes 3 37mm guns, which will become 57mm's when available.
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For the first 3 battles (against the Japanese in 42) I've had the following:

4 scouts (I picked the Fighting Patrol because it looked interesting, but I realized I was using tehm as harassing infantry anyways, so upgraded them to Rangers with 2 BAR's and flamethrowers)
I'll add some actual scouts again, plus a few snipers (love the little buggers) after this (third) battle.

2 companies of infantry. Very solid, and the triple 60mm mortar section is very useful for suppression fire. These guys generally get to slog towards an objective area, and then dig in and fight it out infantry style.
The disparity in troop quality against the Japanese is telling, but they do well enough.
The rifle grenades have inflicted the odd casualty but nothing exceptional. Im thinking when bazookas become available, I'll upgrade the third squad in each platoon, plus the company command squad to include them, then add a couple of independent bazooka teams as well.

1 company of armoured infantry. Their default gear was M1's and SMG, so I upgraded them to the dismount version, which has a .30 cal. Along with all their half tracks, these guys are doing a lot of hard fighting. I need to spread them out more, as they always get shelled by Japanese light arty though.

I almost always play foot infantry, so having these guys zoom across the battlefield to dig in at an objective just as the enemy is reaching it, is a lot of fun.

Shermans, 2 companies. Not sure what the upgrade path will be here. A few Pershings when they come around late war. Otherwise.. a couple of Jumbo's and mostly easy eights ?

A battery of M7's and two mortar batteries. This gives enough firepower it seems, and the M7 is a fantastic unit. Very pleased with these.

I'll add M10's when they show up, but otherwise I think I have what i want. The armoured infantry includes 3 37mm guns, which will become 57mm's when available.
1) There was no armoured infantry in the Pacific Front really.

2) Shermans are overkill as they stand, Pershings and Jumbos no need for against the Japanese. Their best tank might frighten a Stuart if it caught it in a close range ambush is all. Consider some 105mm Shermans when available. No need for the 76mm ones, the 75 will drill all Japanese armour, even the experimental late war ones that never left the home islands.

3) M10 tank destroyers against the Japanese?. There is no need, again. The enemy is an infantry army. So some anti-grunt add-ons, perhaps flame tanks or halftracks with 75mm, or 37/.50 SPAA used in direct fire support mode. Or some Stuarts to nip about the battlefield. Or SP-mortar tracks.

4) Company 60mm mortars - consider using a medium truck to scoot them forwards rather than slogging it. (I think it fits one).

5) 57mm ATG? - maybe upgrade 37mms to 75mm pack howitzers to fire direct in anti-grunt mode. You have 2 companies of Shermans to deal with tiddly Japanese tankettes, the Sherman is like a King Tiger to those.

Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheLargeAndTheSmall.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	7647  
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM

Sergeant

Thanks for the advice. I want to go fight the Germans though, as soon as that becomes a possibility, so I was thinking forward towards those situations.
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:32 AM

Corporal

Ironfist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
Quote:

Well, independent bazookas are size 0, so harder to spot, good for abushing and bunker busting, but they have only 2 man, so usually 1 engagement(the so called "shot") is needed to get rid of them when spotted, the squads with them have more men, more weapons, and bigger size... its all your choice, but i would go for bazooka teams as they are cheaper to replace, remember, individual teams can only fight armour
I think you should upgrade your infantry to ones with a bazooka, and if you like, you can buy separate team.

M10 is your tank killer in the early days. And 76mm Sherman when available.

Do you have FO in your core? I started with one and I've found that it's the single most important unit. Can't live without it. So later I bought another one as backup.

Off-map arty, at least for CB. CB requires exp, so support units are not as good.

SPAA to cover your troops and they can also shoot up enemy inf.