This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old December 4th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road
Question Anti-crew weapons, Boarding Parties, and Security Stations

Okay, I decided to include the ModWorks concept of anti-crew weaponry into the Mod I'm working on, and have added all the appropriate suggestions and changes.

But now, however, I have a question - It states that Boarding Parties can be affected by anti-crew weaponry, but seems to leave out whether or not Security Stations can, or should, be?

Is this an oversight, or did I miss something?

It seems to me that Security Stations should be just as vulnerable as Boarding Parties to anti-crew weaponry.

Last edited by Black_Knyght; December 4th, 2008 at 05:54 PM..
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anti-crew weapons, Boarding Parties, and Security Stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Knyght View Post
Okay, I decided to include the ModWorks concept of anti-crew weaponry into the Mod I'm working on, and have added all the appropriate suggestions and changes.

But now, however, I have a question - It states that Boarding Parties can be affected by anti-crew weaponry, but seems to leave out whether or not Security Stations can, or should, be?

Is this an oversight, or did I miss something?

It seems to me that Security Stations should be just as vulnerable as Boarding Parties to anti-crew weaponry.
I'm not familiar with ModWorks, but from looking at Components.txt , Boarding Parties are described at "Space Marines", but Security Stations are "anti-personnel turrets" in "defensive installations". I would interpret that as meaning that Boarding Parties are live troops, but Security Stations are automated weapon emplacements. If anti-crew weaponry is specifically meant to temporarily disable crew rather than kill them, it's not going to do much to a computer-controlled gun turrent. (I could imagine arguing that Security Stations should be vulnerable to Computer Combat weapons.)

More importantly for modding purposes, the two components are differentiated by the Ability Types "Boarding Attack" and "Boarding Defense", but both are Weapon Type "None", which means they don't use the Weapon Damage Type field to specify "Only Boarding Parties" or "Only Security Stations". I'm not sure whether it's possible to design a weapon to affect both.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.