Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old August 18th, 2004, 08:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

Quote:
Tanus said:
Quote:

4.bulk faclity orders for planets(choose 10 planets and tell them all to build a Ship yard)

This can already be done. Just go into the "Construction Queues" window (F7), shift-click all the planets/bases you want to build on, then click multi-add. Everything you add to the que here will be added to all of the locations you shift-clicked (they'll be shown with green arrows).

PS. I especially like your #1. Would be very handy to see system wide facilities present in systems. (can already see what systems have resupply and spaceports)
No, it can't be done. You can not use multi-add to add facilities, which is what Gozra was requesting.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:55 PM

Sergeant

brianeyci is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:Enough said lol.
That is not a modern game. It came out before SE4 even. :P That, and it is slightly less complex, due to combat being very simplified, with just a handful of stats, and combat being resloved on a unit vs. unit basis...

[/quote]

Oh well I did say SE:IV was in a league of its own. Are we not restricting to turn based games? Well I'd have to say that's cheating, because turn-based games have infinitely more complexity than real time games, like pitting console games against computer games lol. Anyway, the thing that would make SE:IV better IMO is ATMOSPHERE (<----- Aaron see that please lol). The graphics are flat and dull, the music sucks, and you have to be a computer programmer to customize your race.

That and some sort of dedicated server/chat room where you could join and play real-time games (could still be turn based with a timer a la Age of Wonders before heat.net got dissolved).

Brian
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Corporal

BBegemott is on a distinguished road

"Upgrade Facilities" button might be improved.

E.g. I have just researched IntelligenceIII facilities, and if I press "Upgrade Facilities", all planets with default construction rate (2000) now take 2 turns to build it. It is better to fill planet with Intel-2 facilities and then upgrade them to level 3. So I must go to planet construction window and manually change the queques back.

It would be nice to have one more button, which upgrades facilities only if the newer facility takes the same time to build as the obsolete one.
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM

Corporal

Antonin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
brianeyci said:
Anyway, the thing that would make SE:IV better IMO is ATMOSPHERE (<----- Aaron see that please lol). The graphics are flat and dull, the music sucks, and you have to be a computer programmer to customize your race.

Brian
SE4 is one of the few games that I own (and I own a lot) where the music is exactly appropriate to the gameplay. Even though you can play the game without the CD, I often put the CD in so I can hear the music as I play.

With most games the music is just a waste of CD space. (Star Craft is one exception; Cleopatra and Caesar III are others) With SE4, the music is just right.

I compose similar "darkwave" music myself. Does anyone know if Aaron will use any user-created music in SE5?
"The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife." - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #48
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Corporal

Antonin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ragnarok said:
Antonin, Aaron has added all the ideas from this thread into his master list of ideas for SEV. He does read it and he does record all the good ideas.

Also, your chances of getting on a Beta slot for SEV is just as high as the rest of us here. Alot of times Aaron will choose a beta tester based on their machine so that he can test the game on all platforms and system specs. So when the applications become available fill it out and you will have just as good of a shot as we long time members of this forum do.
I'm very happy to see that what we are saying here does get to Aaron. I'm just concerned that somebody who plays SE4 a lot and has 3,463 Posts here will be listened to more than a person who plays SE4 a lot and has, say, 60 Posts here. Posting a lot does not mean one's ideas regarding SE5 are necessarily better. But I guess I have no control over how ideas are perceived by Aaron or anybody else.

I will certainly fill out an application for a beta testing position. I hope I have better luck with that than I've had filling out employment applications in the real world.

BTW, I think I qualify as a "long time member" of this forum. I have been a member since June 2001.

It's just that I lurk far, far more than I post.
"The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife." - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #48
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:15 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

FYI: The 'culled' list of suggestions that come from here does not include 'useless info' like post counts. Any and all suggestions are welcome, and what makes a suggestion more 'interesting' is if there are several people 'wishing' for the same thing. If the list had 1000 sugestions and no two were tha same, chanches are very few will end up in the game.

This is a good place to discuss different ideas, and if you take the time to read the two chat transcripts from the Last #se4 guest speaker "Aaron Hall" befor making your suggestions, you will have a good idea where the game is heading.

After all is said and done, rest assured Aaron listens to ALL sugestions, and will do his best to incorporate the more interesting 'tweaks' as sugested here.

Cheers!
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:44 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

I personally really liked the idea brought out a couple pages back about the temporal facility. This facility would allow you to bring ships from the future to this time to help fight a battle, but then you would have to build those ships by that date or else suffer some sort of major penalty. Perhaps the first facility would only allow you to bring ships from a few months in the future, but an advanced facility would allow you to bring in years from the future. The idea was brought out more clearly in previous Posts.
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ragnarok said:
I personally really liked the idea brought out a couple pages back about the temperal facility. This facility would allow you to bring ships from the future to this time to help fight a battle, but then you would have to build those ships by that date or else suffer some sort of major penalty. Perhaps the first facility would only allow you to bring ships from a few months in the future, but an advanced facility would allow you to bring in years from the future. The idea was brought out more clearly in previous Posts.
It would probably be easy to make a temporal ship yard:
The yard would complete the ship as soon as you ask for it, but then spend X turns working on the ship and be unavailable.
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:33 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

That's a cool idea but has one fatal flaw. What if you request a ship for immediate use -- like in defense of the planet where the Temporal Space Yard is located -- and lose the battle. If the TSY is destroyed by orbital bombardment on the same or next turn after completing the ship, is it possible for the ship to have been completed in the 'future' after the battle?

I think the 'time slip' device to give a certain fixed percentage chance of being 'elsewhen' and avoiding weapon hits that would otherwise have occured is a better use of the temporal concept. (A flat chance for weapons to miss even if they get their 'to hit' percentage.) Also, some sort of 'time slowing' device for bogging down or completely stopping your enemy (think 'stasis device' from MOO) would also be nice. With actual tracking of supplies in SE we could give the device a very high supply usage, too, and set a practical limit to its use. Anyway, both devices are contained in the combat context and don't create strategic problems because of conflict between game events and the operation of the device(s).
Old August 19th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Yeah, bending time rather than breaking prevents a lot of crazy things.

Temporal shields might be nice...
The damage dealt to the ship is delayed for a couple combat rounds, and then it only hits the ship after you've fired back with a volley or two .