Member of the Ship Serenity 7 15.22%
Member/officer Bablon-5 7 15.22%
member/officer Deep Space 9 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 1st, 2007, 12:21 AM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road
Default OT Which would you Choose

If you had a real life choice of being any of the below, which one would you choose... Pick only 1

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:29 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT Which would you Choose

I chose between SG1 and DS9. I probably would have chosen a SG team if it was another one in say Atlantis, but I picked DS9 so I might get involved in the Dominion war.
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:45 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

I'll choose to be a member of the crew of the Enterprise, but only if my shirt color isn't red.
Old October 1st, 2007, 02:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I would never want to be a "member" of the federation because they are to fascist for my tastes. Telling what you can and cannot do to the nith degree. No thanks, I would rather be Ferengi.
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:36 AM

Major General

http://www.friesian.com/trek.htm if you're interested in Atrocities allegation.
Old October 1st, 2007, 06:13 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

I looked at the question as "which of these sci-fi universes will most allow me to live in techno-utopian comfort."

Originally I thought about one of the Trek ones, with the intention of resigning from Starfleet immediately and getting a safer job as a trader or something, cruising between different planets to see all the different planets meet all the different aliens.

However, then I thought about how phonging annoying the whole Trekoverse has become, and how all the aliens are just humans with bumpy heads and voted for Firefly. Sure, life would be difficult and dangerous, but it would sure as hell be fun. What's more, you get to hang out with Kaylee (yum). Besides, I reckon you could do pretty well for yourself in the Firefly universe, stealing and scavenging like they do on the show, and there'd be lots of interesting sights to see.

Mind you, given the option I'd probably choose the Honorverse over any of the previous options (but again, I'd resign from the military immediately. Too damned dangerous.) You'd want to make sure you were living in a stable and civilised part of the galaxy though (ie Manticore, Solarian core), Weber's galaxy is pretty cutthroat and if you don't arrive with any useful skills/ resources life would be extremely hard.

My absoulte favourite option though, would be to live on a Culture orbital or GCU: All your material needs taken care of by benign, God-like Machines; insanely powerful tech and body mods/ upgrades; limitless time and resources for every possible form of leisure you can imagine (and plenty more you can't); a whole galaxy of interesting aliens to live amongst and worlds to explore; effective immortality if you want it... Now *that's* how you want to future to look=-)
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:00 AM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

I remember when the NIST-connected clocks at work went haywire, displaying random times -- cinder block walls play havoc with radio communications, as anyone knows (apparently the people in charge were not included in the group known as anyone.)

I would tell people that the laws of physics were breaking down, and I expected a wormhole to form soon, and that I was jumping through as soon as I saw it.

Of course there would be oxygen, and food I could eat there. Everything would be the same, except it would be populated with hot chicks with blue skin, or grey skin, or bright red hair and a voice that melts metal.

In other words, I vote Farscape.
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

SG-1: Not really. Sure, cool planets to explore. But, on the other hand, constant threat of annihilation. Plus, it's gone totally over the shark.

Star Trek: The original series, early. When Starfleet had courage, Spock actually thought about using violence and there were space traders. (Harry Mudd, Cyrano Jones). I'd also imagine there'd be more non-human-clone aliens than shown on screan - Very low special effects budget. Some of the book univeres in particular would be cool.

Firefly universe: No thanks. I like my modern comforts and a reasonably sane government.

Babylon-5: Living conditions are almost universally bad. And I have a great dislike of minbari. Something about them being psychotic and genocidal. Along with most of the other races.

Deep Space 9: The only other Star Trek I'd consider living in. The characters are a lot more 'real' than TNG or some of the late TOS.

You forgot a few:

Star Wars: Are you kidding? Unless you're rich or a Jedi, life is harsh, brutal and short for nearly the entire galaxy. And Jedi don't have it much better. Either than or you live on a rich planet and their 'benevolent' government. Given that those people couldn't even organize to fight off an invasion, I'd pick somewhere else.

Aliens: No. Way.

Honorverse: I see much war, death and pain in the future. No thanks.

5th Imperium: 350-year life span, 700 if I decide to risk my neck in the military. That's a plus. Rational government - Constitutional Imperium - Not so bad. Tech that'll turn me into a cyborg with no downside? Where do I sign? Genocidal aliens coming? Ok, that's bad. But, on the plus side, world-size ships to blow them up with and real Nova bombs make me feel rather secure.

Culure: Nope. That place is just waiting for an Out of Context event to squish it.

The Caves of Steel: Sentient robots, cool. Being squished into a communist arcology, not cool. Skip.

The Foundation: The Empire at its height? Only read one book, but that seems like it might be a place to check out.

Man-Kizn Wars: No. Do I really need to explain?

Berzerker: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No.

Commonwealth, Alan Dean Foster: The two words I can never recall having read in that rather long multi-series are 'Elections' and 'Religious Freedom'. No. Besides, giant space vaccuum coming to kill them all.

Doctor Who: If I get to be a Time Lord (With TARDIS at hand) and survive the end of Galifrey, sure. Otherwise, I'd need to know where I'd end up.

1632 series: Nope. Far too primitive technologically.

Ok, that's enough.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:31 AM

Major General

I tried a culture book a few months ago. It seemed to be a popular series so I gave it a look. Of course from the start I despised the Culture and agreed with the changeling guy. The Culture is just lackies of AI's. The book is currently half read and lying under my bed. I have no plans to read further.
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

I'd like to be on the Enterprise - it seems every week would bring a new random adventure.