.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 4th, 2010, 04:47 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Starcraft II and Elemental

I'm looking forward to Starcraft 2. I haven't bought my copy yet, but I'm on my 3rd copy of the original, so I'll be very happy with "more of the same" in the form of a good update.
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:58 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosian View Post
I have and play both ....

Starcraft II is a good example of a very polished game. The campaign is well done and everything works as you expect. That said, it is not much different from the original. At the end of the day, despite probably one of the strongest community and MP interfaces out there, the game itself is a typical 4x RTS .... and I do like it.

Elemental has some potential but is currently an unpolished gem. Version 1.06 is still quite buggy and the AI just plain sucks... Despite its problems, I am enjoying playing it, but my jury is still out regarding whether it will have permenancy here on my hard drive.

I actually stumbled on the Dominion 3 as a result of a post in the Elemtental forums...favorite Fantasy Strategy games to play while Elemental is being fixed..... D3 got a lot of play in that thread and I ended up buying it. I am just scratching the surface, but I really like what I am seeing here despite its dated graphics. It is definetly much deeper than Elementals War of Magic
Glad to hear you stumbled unto dominions. It has a steep learning curve and outdated gfx but it is a great game nonetheless. IMO it's the best FTBS currently available on the market. So, I encourage you to take the time to learn it and when ready join a newb MP game to get started playing it the way it's meant to.

EDIT: I forgot to say: Welcome
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

I have both as well. Starcraft itself didn't appeal to me very much simply because I'm more in favor of slower, more 'layback' strategy games like dominions, civ series and total war series, where you have time to think of strategies over the games where fast clicking skills are essential. It's just personal preference of course. I bought Starcraft 2 mostly on my friend's advice and didn't regret it. I suck at it, mind you, you can't change from slow clicker into fast clicker over night but the game is perfect example on how those fast strategy games can be really fun as well.

Elemental is a game I anticipated as soon as it was announced years ago. Needles to say I preordered it as well. It really is unpolished with lots of issues but it does have that something to it as well. That, just one more turn syndrome exists even in it's present state. It's a shame it came out this way to get trashed in the reviews but you can't change that anymore. I know that Stardock will work on that game hard and make it polished and great game that everyone expected it to be. Of course, everyone expected it to be such right from the release.
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:33 AM

General

For what it's worth MOM was released full of bugs and got trashed in the early reviews as well
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Sergeant

Thanatus del Dragos is on a distinguished road

I picked up Elemental this weekend, and I have to say, it is fantastic. It is my dream come true...well, as far as games go. Buggy as hell and balance issues and such still, but I have faith in Stardock to fix that. I love it.
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:02 PM

General

What do you love about it?
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Sergeant

I'm a huge fan of nation building games. I never played MoM, but I have loved RotK, Genghis Khan, Civilization, And the Civ 4 mod, Fall from Heaven, which was inspired by MoM, GalCiv, And a billion Paradox games. This game has heroes, quest, city and nation building, wars, alliances, high fantasy good vs evil, and dynasties, along with magic. I'm playing it, and I get deep within it. I'm wondering if I should marry off my daughter to secure an alliance, there is a powerful ogre hovering on the edge of my Kingdom that is blocking my trade route I want to build, my son, the prince is leading an army to solve a quest to gain the spellbook of an ancient witch, and so on and so on. I just love the feel and play of the game.
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:12 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
For what it's worth MOM was released full of bugs and got trashed in the early reviews as well
The game definitely has future potential based on Stardocks record. The developers fooled everyone into the thinking Beta4 was completely different/improved from what's planned for release... they even fooled the CEO.

Anyone who purchases the game now will receive its first expansion for free. With the modding and solid updates from Stardock I expect the game to definitely be good after 9months. Besides we have to support the fantasy TBS games since they are so rare these days.
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Sergeant

The AI is terrible, GalCIV II had really good AI though...and the game has bad balance issues and crashes all the time...the champions die pretty easy, especially as the game progresses. But I am still enjoying it a lot and have faith in Brad and Stardock to keep working on it.
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:20 AM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTJedi View Post
Anyone who purchases the game now will receive its first expansion for free. With the modding and solid updates from Stardock I expect the game to definitely be good after 9months. Besides we have to support the fantasy TBS games since they are so rare these days.
That first line cracks me up - wow what an incentive. Anyone who falls for that deserves what they get.

I do agree with the last line - I like to support game developers, but there is a certain level of mutual trust / respect required. Releasing something in this shape blows that - I feel like a sucker with this game.

I wish someone who speaks Russian would tell the guys who make Eador (mentioned earlier in this thread) to get it translated to English - that looks like a game worthy of support.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.