Notices

Old May 10th, 2021, 09:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MBT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
This is what I get when I enter icon1998 picture below.
That's the one and it's in Icon0005.shp and it's been there since WinSPMBTv1.

Copy the other info and the armour from the Leo A7 and you'll be as close as we can know right now to a Challenger 3

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 09:58 PM

Sergeant

cbreedon is on a distinguished road

Ugh Thanks!

I was thinking he meant the LBM file...
Old May 14th, 2021, 01:48 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...stems.html/amp

The Army announced Wednesday that it is planning to divest all of its Stryker Mobile Gun Systems by the end of fiscal 2022.

Seems they are saying bye-bye to Stryker MGS, citing, according to the article, that the gun is obsolete and that the autoloader is not working as designed.

Pros or Cons aside, this was going to happen from day one really. The Stryker was rushed to get to Iraqi, I was part of 3rd Brigade 2nd ID when we went in 03/04 and the vehicle systems were all still going through teething issues.

So we will see what they replace it with or how many new ATGM versions of the Stryker they go with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karagin For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 02:42 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

As Kerrigan has pointed out, this is now a done deal. The Stryker Mobile Gun Systems (MGS) will be retired by the end of fiscal year 2022/OCT 2022 at the latest. It was the first USA "tank" to have an auto loader which caused nothing but problems for the army.

It never received the improvements it's other peers did such as the V-Hull and the now standard Double V-Hull. The current gun can't even come close to matching the performance of the newer "high pressure" 105mm guns that are in operation such as Japan's MCV HP 105mm.

It served it's purpose for it's time, but it never achieved it's hoped for full capabilities. So I leave it to the USA for the official announcement...
https://www.army.mil/article/246274/...ile_gun_system
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/army...riant-1.673274

(The propaganda paper.)

This affects UNITS 354/642/682/683 and I believe that's all of them.

Lastly, I remember very early on that I made a compelling "argument" that for "BIG ARMY USA, that having MP units served no real purpose in the game, and for other larger armies in general. I remember as well it was agreed to DELETE them TO OPEN THOSE SLOTS up for all the new equipment we saw coming "down the pike", which both happened.

During the above search however, I came across MP UNITS 106-109 , did we miss these by chance???

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 03:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post

Lastly, I remember very early on that I made a compelling "argument" that for "BIG ARMY USA, that having MP units served no real purpose in the game, and for other larger armies in general. I remember as well it was agreed to DELETE them TO OPEN THOSE SLOTS up for all the new equipment we saw coming "down the pike", which both happened.

During the above search, however, I came across MP UNITS 106-109 , did we miss these by chance???

Regards,
Pat
The problem is they are used in two scenarios ( correction... Three ) and that is probably why they were left alone whenever it was mentioned in the past but I'll look into it

Now removed and scenarios adjusted

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; May 16th, 2021 at 04:20 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2021, 03:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

Better do this thing "about" right...
BRAZIL to modernize some of it's tanks. I'm TRACKING this.
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/n...ard-1a5br-mbts

Now a little something different again from my world as we all get ready to start that summer "malaise". I have actual copies of the following documents on hand and though they are UNCLASSIFIED I never posted them. However, they are open sourced now, so 3 years+ of my life onboard the USS PROVIDENCE SSN-719, starting in 1986...

Quick facts for 1986...Volunteered from my 2nd boat the the USS JOHN C. CALHOUN SSBN-630G to fill an "urgent" manning request while we were conducting a refueling overhaul in CNSY (Charleston Naval Shipyard, South Carolina)/
Reported onboard 14 Feb. (That's why this was our favorite command.) PROVIDENCE is the Fleets first VLS boat./
Met CINCLANTHOME on 16 Aug. and we were married on 11 Oct. (5 days were all we had. First movie with her and at that time, her kids...ALIEN!/
The week before Christmas (Remember we work on the boat import as well.) I come home from work, ask about her Drs. appt. and she sits me down to tell me she's pregnant. For you young guys out there DO NOT provide the following response "How did happen?!!?", boy was that a mistake!?!
https://www.history.navy.mil/content...v/pdf/1986.pdf

1987 Quick facts LANTSUBASWEX 2-87 was the largest NATO ASW exercise to date and currently as I understand it./I would qualify Submarines on 18 May (Our sons 10th Birthday.)/And would be left import for the only time in my career, to be there for our sons birth on 13 Aug (Tragically we would lose him to a pool drowning in 20 Aug 1989.)
https://www.history.navy.mil/content...v/pdf/1987.pdf
(You can see the actual SINKEX pictures on my profile page if you want.)

Two days after we "out chopped" from the MED, this happened...
https://ww31987.wordpress.com/2019/0...-1987-part-ii/

I give you the rest below...
1988 we stand up and certify the VLS System/
That Dec inspection in PEV started out as a port visit which we were told was cancelled as we were entering port to pick up our "esteemed guests"
https://www.history.navy.mil/content...v/pdf/1988.pdf

Our final year 1989. In my/our time on PROVIDENCE we would be apart 89% of the time. It was our favorite command/We still maintain contact with a handful of couples and crew on the boats FB Page/It represented some of our best times and in this year, our most tragic event we've ever experienced. We are both stronger for it and in Oct. we celebrate our 35th. I would be left in on 5 May with TAD orders to COMSUBDEVRON 12 Ops Dept. until I executed my PCS orders to COMSUMGRU TEN down here with a report date in OCT.
https://www.history.navy.mil/content...v/pdf/1989.pdf
(We were supposed to pull into Portsmouth England in '87 before "chopping" into the Med. however, when LANTSUBASWEX 2-87 was completed the Soviets sent several boats into the area, we responded in kind (Several others lost port calls as well.) while we sat in a box until it was time to enter the Med as we had a special "appointment" to keep. )

A little something to keep you occupied.

To see how a command can have a positive affect visit the following and search under American subs. That sailor would be me and it would be signed at my retirement in 2002 by my C.O. Captain Terry Tehan Ret. USN (Was promoted when he departed the boat at the Change of Command.) when he attended as my guest speaker (Boy can I tell you some stories about him!! Best C.O. I ever had.)...
http://subart.net/
(In the 'sold out" section bottom.)

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; May 17th, 2021 at 03:47 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2021, 07:15 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Better do this thing "about" right...
BRAZIL to modernize some of it's tanks. I'm TRACKING this.
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/n...ard-1a5br-mbts

Regards,
Pat
an interesting compare/contrast article attached to that...

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/n...e-c3105-turret

with the recent decision to terminate the Styker MGS

Quote:
The turret is armed with a 105 mm high-pressure rifled gun fed by an automatic loader, with this version fitted with stabilised day/night sights for commander and gunner, enabling hunter/killer target engagements while stationary or moving..

Old May 18th, 2021, 04:07 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The current gun can't even come close to matching the performance of the newer "high pressure" 105mm guns that are in operation such as Japan's MCV HP 105mm.
That's because Big Army tried to save money (TM) by simply using surplus M68 105mm Rifled Guns left over from the M1/M60 programs.
Old May 31st, 2021, 07:31 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

Thailand has reportedly received the first of it's new VN-16s (Export version ZTD-05 105mm Amphibious Tank)

Jane's a bit back said:

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/n...uirement_12275

that the procurement was for 3 vehicles, with a second batch of 3 "likely" to come later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThaiVN16.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	16452  
Old May 31st, 2021, 09:31 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I *think* this is what we have as the Type 2000 in the Chinese OOB.

??

It had been named ZBD-04 MGS then ZBD-2000 then in 2020 Type 2000. The date fits for the ZBD-05

Last edited by DRG; June 1st, 2021 at 12:35 PM..