This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old July 11th, 2005, 07:11 PM

Private

snoopreg is on a distinguished road
Default electronic delivery

Does Shrapnel Games offer the ability to download a game after you purchased it, instead of physically shipping, like Matrix Games?
Old July 11th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: electronic delivery

Not currently, but this is something we are discussing.

We do offer some products exclusively as digital downloads.
Old July 11th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Private

snoopreg is on a distinguished road

What games would those be?
Old July 11th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Currently we have Thunder Pack Platinum, the Air Command expansion pack, and the Horse and Musket expansion packs, as downloads. Previously we have Dungeon Odyssey, several BCT scenario packs, and some of the other Stormcloud products as downloads.

Most of our games are physical format in nature and include some form of printed manual and a CD.
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Private

Ond is on a distinguished road

I would buy a few games if you guys had electronic delivery.

Specifically Dominions 2, but only as a download. Always such a hassle to order from overseas (I am in europe), having to go to the post office to pick up stuff, pay extra for the shipping, the long boring wait when you just wanna play it RIGHT NOW! etc.

I dont see why a small indie publisher like yourself dont embrace electronic distribution. Its a complete nobrainer if you ask me.

The argument about manuals is just silly. Include a pdf file, and people can print it themselves - and include an option to have it shipped instead of downloaded if you absolutely have to touch the CD.
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Corporal

Leslie is on a distinguished road

Digital Downloads are cool for those that can handle them.

I like them enough to use them.

I just wish more companies would emulate the serial number process in use at Matrix Games.
Fewer people getting "free" versions of a companies games, how could that be a bad thing eh.

And to my knowledge, use of a serial number, doesn't require any convoluted expensive or intrusive copy protection programming (which protects nothing if you want my opinion).
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Everything has its pros and cons. There are some nasty possibilities in digital downloads. Every game company seems to be looking at it and coming up with their own way of doing things. Steam, or the way GalCiv does it, or the way Matrix does it. Ive helped put in place alot of things LIKE that, even credit card processing, but I wouldnt want the headache of writing a digital download system. And so far no one has released a tried-and-true package for doing it the way you can easily add secure versions of forums, customer support, or standard shopping cart like Shrapnel uses now. In fact, only recently Steam has popped up as a system you can join to handle it. Nice system but joining it instantly creates screams of "boycott this company" in the gaming newsgroups.

Im sure they are keeping an eye no the way all of this is going. But having seen some of the crash-and-burns Im glad that Shrapnel doesnt jump TOO quick on the bandwagon.

Sidenote: You dont use a MAJOR credit card when you order online do you? As someone who works with ISPs and online services I HIGHLY recommend getting a little $200 limit card with some bank NOT your main one and DONT tie it into anything (no automatic cash transfer stuff). Mark it as your "Internet Credit Card" and only use that one online.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Sidenote: You dont use a MAJOR credit card when you order online do you? As someone who works with ISPs and online services I HIGHLY recommend getting a little $200 limit card with some bank NOT your main one and DONT tie it into anything (no automatic cash transfer stuff). Mark it as your "Internet Credit Card" and only use that one online.

This only feeds internet shopping paranoia.

Your credit card number is *far* more likely to be seen and handled by other human beings who could malicously abuse it in many physical stores, and especially phone-based ordering. In those cases, human beings have access to your credit card numbers and can do whatever they want with them. There is no technology protecting you -- only the theoretical honesty of the minimum wage clerk across the counter/phone, and however many other people at the same store. (Though thankfully, many large/modern stores now have the digital card-sliders where you no longer have to give your cards to other people, so that's less of an issue these days.)

Ordering over the phone is the absolute worst, no question, and yet people do it all the time without fear, from ordering sweaters to giving donations to ordering pizzas

In contrast, almost every online retailer uses SSL (protecting the channel from you to them), and reasonably protected server-side processes where no human being ever even sees your number. Yes, there is the occassinal hacking, but the occurance and opportunity rates are far less than in traditional channels.

Fact is, ordering online is one of the safest ways to buy something with a credit card, short of using the personal card sliders that most major retail outlets have these days.

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:38 PM

Corporal

Leslie is on a distinguished road

After reading an article in Reader's Digest, I might buy a very rare item online with my credit card, but I have ZERO desire to use that credit card ANTWHERE in the brick and mortar world.

The article was frankly shocking.
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Actually thats rightconcerning real life dangers to your credit. I make the same recommendation all the time to purchasing anywhere. Never use a major credit card to make non-major purchases. Get a little $200 limit card that is not tied to any major account and use it for gas and restaurants. Those are the most likely places to lose control of your account.

But as I said, I work for ISPs. What you said about SSL and such is true but man-in-the-middle attacks are almost mythical. Spyware on a users machine is far more likely. And no matter how many times I recommend it, very few companies bother to keep their accounting systems (the ones that store the info) completely off of the net.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)