.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 5th, 2006, 04:04 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Siege Units

Not sure if Dominions_3 will have siege units or not... but I believe it will be possible to make at least some siege units via modding.
Siege units such as a Battering Ram or Siege Tower which allow for storming more quickly, catapults which can be used on the battlefield for long distance area attacks during a battle, and even design some siege units which can be used as counters to target and more easily destroy siege type units.
I believe most siege units should exist on the battlefield where opponents have an opportunity to destroy them.

Would love to hear ideas
.................. especially developer ideas.

[b]
EDIT: Just wanted to add I don't know the overall opinion about the mass-castle strategy currently in Dominions, but if designed correctly siege units might address this issue where gamers focus on building of castles more strategically instead of everywhere.
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Siege Units

Battering ram - useless on battlefield, needed to burst the gate in. What do you think the besiegers are doing? Siege towers would be really strange, as for some reason units can only attack through the gate.

Catapults are probably trivial to mod in, after all, Boulders already exist. They can fly as far as you want, as long as you increase the catapult's strength. The stronger it is, the better it is at breaking castles.

I woudln't except siege engines in Dom3. Sappers, Siege Engineers, Golden Era down-to-earth engineer/philosophers (whatever they are called), and on the other hand, Guardians, Ghoul Guardians, Man's Tower Guards, C'tissian City Guards etc have been enough for both Dom:PPP and DomII.
Old April 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM

General

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Battering ram - useless on battlefield, needed to burst the gate in. What do you think the besiegers are doing? Siege towers would be really strange, as for some reason units can only attack through the gate.
Yes of course they'd be useless on the battlefield... their whole purpose is to storm the castle more quickly. The reason for their appearance on the battlefield is so that people trying to break the siege can destroy siege units.

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Catapults are probably trivial to mod in, after all, Boulders already exist. They can fly as far as you want, as long as you increase the catapult's strength. The stronger it is, the better it is at breaking castles.
Not just boulders perhaps flaming boulders as well or perhaps it can toss an animal which spreads disease. Different catapults for different nations as well.

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Sappers, Siege Engineers, Golden Era down-to-earth engineer/philosophers (whatever they are called), and on the other hand, Guardians, Ghoul Guardians, Man's Tower Guards, C'tissian City Guards etc have been enough for both Dom:PPP and DomII.
Yes but those are all units with two feet also siege units such as battering rams, catapults, and siege towers were used on castles in history... I see no reason they can't be used on castles within Dominions which takes many units from history.
Old April 5th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
NTJedi said:
Yes of course [siege engines]äd be useless on the battlefield... their whole purpose is to storm the castle more quickly. The reason for their appearance on the battlefield is so that people trying to break the siege can destroy siege units.

Not just boulders perhaps flaming boulders as well or perhaps it can toss an animal which spreads disease. Different catapults for different nations as well.

Yes but those are all units with two feet also siege units such as battering rams, catapults, and siege towers were used on castles in history... I see no reason they can't be used on castles within Dominions which takes many units from history.
It is quite hard to be able to destroy siege engines on the battlefield, without new commands that would be added in. Killing specialized commanders is easier, with assassination already in the game.

Flaming boulders (burning stone? ) would be directed to the defenders, as the disease-corpses. That wouldn't work well, unless you actually wanted to be able to slowly kill the defenders without actual battle.

And, do you really except the Siege Engineers personally walk next to the castle, and pound the wall to dust? I think the actual engineering part is hidden, but I don't mind that, personally.
Old April 5th, 2006, 06:11 PM

General

Quote:
Endoperez said:
It is quite hard to be able to destroy siege engines on the battlefield, without new commands that would be added in. Killing specialized commanders is easier, with assassination already in the game.

Of course it should be hard otherwise these uncommon units wouldn't have much long term value. The only units which should get unique commands for attacking siege units would be anti-siege units as mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Flaming boulders (burning stone? ) would be directed to the defenders, as the disease-corpses. That wouldn't work well, unless you actually wanted to be able to slowly kill the defenders without actual battle.
Burning stone... yes... it is a magical realm and types of oil and fuel can also make this work. Some units might be so strong that you're main interest may be to try giving them a disease or crushing them with a boulder. Different catapults can have different sized boulders as well... I wonder what size boulder the Jotuns would use?

Quote:
Endoperez said:
And, do you really except the Siege Engineers personally walk next to the castle, and pound the wall to dust? I think the actual engineering part is hidden, but I don't mind that, personally.
I don't expect battering rams or siege towers to do anything on the battlefield or very very little. Their purpose is to allow storming to occur more quickly... when they are on the battlefield it provides players a chance to destroy siege equipment.

==============
These can be units on the battlefield which their main purpose is off the battlefield... except for maybe the catapult.
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
Yes of course they'd be useless on the battlefield... their whole purpose is to storm the castle more quickly. The reason for their appearance on the battlefield is so that people trying to break the siege can destroy siege units.
Then create a unit with whatever strength and siege bonuses you want, give it an attack that does 0 damage without adding strength, and whatever other stats you want. Then you can pick an image that looks like what you want. All of this can be currently done in Dom2.

Quote:
There's absolutely no reason they couldn't be used, except that nobody has bothered to mod them.
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:14 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

I'd love to have include siege weaponry in a mod, it's just that I'm completely inexperienced with graphics... maybe Illwinter will chime in on whether or not the gfx are in there already so Wish_4_blood_slaves doesn't have to start

There's already some sort of machine in the UlmPunk mod, I don't remember what it does, though. Giving a unit a "spell" as a special ability is possible in mods, isn't it? Some sort of machine that casts Flying Shards or Blade Wind would be sweet...
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Argitoth is on a distinguished road

Siege units seem like a good idea to me. The only thing is that some of us don't care to use our imagination to see how it might work. The only problem I see would be the huge balance issues. On a further note: Bog Beast is a siege unit.

But one thing I'm concered about is the graphical side. There's three ways I can think of making the graphics work for a standard catapault.

1. Graphics act like arrows. They fly, fall, hit the ground, and that's it. Disadvantage: It ignores the fact that boulders roll.

2. Graphics act like a 1-round summon spell. Catapault shoots, boulder appears ontop of a square of units, boulder rolls (moves) one or two squears. Disadvantage: You don't get to see the boulders fly.

3. A combination of the two where the boulder acts like it has cast a targeting spell, but when it hits a target, a boulder appears as a 1-round summon spell. Disadvantage: Is it even possible? And then since it's treated as a spell, if you have 5 catapaults, won't battles take way longer?
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM

I don't know how to give a spell, but Blade Wind effect is just set damage (no str bonus), proper graphics, and 50 attacks/round. And precision -5, and limited to only be fired once or twice, and maybe something else for balance.

Most different damage spells can probably be modded in, but the special often can't. If a weapon already does it, it can already be modded, there are some weird things out there (eye loss from Vision's Foe, plague, life drain, paralyze, soul slay, enslave mind)
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:47 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
Quote:
Endoperez said:
It is quite hard to be able to destroy siege engines on the battlefield, without new commands that would be added in.

Of course it should be hard otherwise these uncommon units wouldn't have much long term value. The only units which should get unique commands for attacking siege units would be anti-siege units as mentioned earlier.
Siege weapons had no long-term value. Nobody carried battering rams and siege towers from city to city, at least in countries with trees. All I know indicates that they're universally constructed on the spot (though I'm not an expert on the subject). It might be interesting to add grappling-hook special forces, or wall-climbing ninja, who can attack inside a castle during a siege... but mobile siege units is more "Warcraft" than "Dominions".