Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Private

mscano is on a distinguished road
Question screen resolutions

I was just wondering if there were any plans to add additional screen resolutions to SPWW2/SPMBT to accomodate the widescreen monitors that most of us have by now?
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:46 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: screen resolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscano View Post
I was just wondering if there were any plans to add additional screen resolutions to SPWW2/SPMBT to accomodate the widescreen monitors that most of us have by now?
Yes. Happily running in windowed mode and full screen 1080p (1680 by 1080 pixels AFAIR) under XP on the Viewsonic I bought recently, and promptly loaned to friends since my 5 year old Dell XP box will only run it at a yukky 30HZ refresh rate. My 10 year old W98 Dell clunker also runs it fine at 60HZ in native mode with a lesser GFX card - go figure! - but it will soon be recycled.

The old W98 256MB clunker happily scrolled at that resolution without stuttering. (But don't let an old beast like that try to play with a super-large AI force, boy was it slow. Probably a lowly P150 or similar - I forget)

Windows 7 - I'll need to take a version over to my dad's some day as he went and bought a new Windows 7 all-in-one touch screen contraption. Full screen is likely to be verboten in Windows 7 because of its 256 colour palette problems, but full screen windowed mode should do the trick anyway.

I'm calling it 'desktop' mode - whatever your current desktop mode is set to is what it uses. Want 1440 by 900 (if that was a supported mode on that widescreen Viewsonic)?. Desktop properties -> settings then set new resolution and accept. Now launch game, and it uses 1440 by 900 resolution.

It's implemented as an extra mode available after the 1680 radio button on the 'Change Resolution' dialogue of GameOptions for CD owners.

Will likely have it out to some beta testers when we do this winter's patchwork. If it proves to work (and initial alpha tests look good), will add to WW2 as well. You will be able to see it after this winter's patch release.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:37 PM

Sergeant

EJ is on a distinguished road

Andy,

How will you choose the lucky few beta testers? I'd like to toss my name in the hat as a possible tester; since I had quite a few "humbling" experiences with Win7..... Thanks for taking care of us faithful spmbt/spww2 players!
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:57 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Andy,

How will you choose the lucky few beta testers? I'd like to toss my name in the hat as a possible tester; since I had quite a few "humbling" experiences with Win7..... Thanks for taking care of us faithful spmbt/spww2 players!
We will likely make a call for beta testers nearer the winter, i.e. whenever we look at the next patch.

- Will need to be CD game owners (duh!)
- A mix of XP, Vista (if anyone still uses that and has not upgraded to 7 or back to XP?), and 7. (Those with access to several different O/S boxen, and perhaps several different aspect ratio monitors would be handy )!

Feel free to add your 'me toos' to this thread - but don't expect any replies till later.

Andy
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: screen resolutions

I hope this will be useful to someone. Currently running both CD (older but updated CDs) versions of SPWin at 1600x1280. I have a DELL 4700 w/XP SP3 also w/"SILVERLIGHT". My memory sticks are @ 667Hz (2.5G) and upgraded the box with a new 550W power supply and graphics card (HIS 4600 DDR3.). Also bought a DELL 22" HDMI WS monitor. Have had no issues and everything runs smoothly. Some issues could possibly be overcome with some minor system upgrades, my factory set 4700 would have had problems I think trying to run at some of these higher resolutions for any length of time. Again I hope this helps someone.
Regards,
Pat
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Private

mscano is on a distinguished road

Sounds great Mob. I have two machines I could test it on. One is a Windows7 laptop with a 1366x768 screen. The other is a WinXP desktop with a 1280x1024 screen. I have CD versions of both games.