.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Private

jnr0104 is on a distinguished road
Default Mexico and Venezuela

Has anyone made OOb for the mexican and venezuelan armies,those with a few maps could make for some interesting senarios and campaigns
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mexico and Venezuela

Mexico is on my "to do" list, but I have no idea when I'll get around to it. You can rest assured that when I get around to it, I will either create a new thread in the TO&E portion of the forum, or add it to this thread, or both.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM

BANNED USER

c_of_red is on a distinguished road

Mexico doesn't have an army as we think of it. They use their troops as police, so they have little in the way of heavy weapons. It's not like they need an army to invade America and there is nothing else around for them to invade.
Venezuela is buying weapons as fast as they can be loaded on the ship. They use them to arm FRAC and other terrs, so it's not like they are going to be fighting another nation directly any time soon.
The Monroe Doctrine worked out pretty well, all things considered.
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:01 AM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

It's not really worth wrecking an official OOB just to represent those two countries. If one must make these nations, better to just redo Green to include the new units.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Captain

Quote:
Skirmisher said:
It's not really worth wrecking an official OOB just to represent those two countries. If one must make these nations, better to just redo Green to include the new units.
I don't know if I'd consider it "wrecking" official OOBs to make those two nations. Red and Green are official OOBs too, and are the ones I most often use for the smaller nations, many of which are 1946-2020. Sri Lanka, however, will be a replacement for Pakistan because it most closely matches the dates there, and its the issue with Singapore as well.

Furthermore, with the OOB manager, it really doesn't have to be "wrecking," because when you're done you can just restore the defaults. If you've gone further and installed a picklist, well, you can just set up a dual install to have a new selection of nations. Seems pretty flexible to me.
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Captain

I can certainly see your perspective on this. But I think, why tear up a completed offical OOB just to create a country with a handfull of units? Yes Green is offical but it's also a general OOB. And as Don and Andy have stated many times, OOB work is never done.
The only benifet I can see is your way you'd get the offical flag for that nation. I'm not big on picklists as I usually purchase for the AI.

When I play the AI I take an inferior army and let the AI have a superior one. Also giving the AI much more to spend of course.
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Captain

Quote:
Skirmisher said:
I can certainly see your perspective on this. But I think, why tear up a completed offical OOB just to create a country with a handfull of units? Yes Green is offical but it's also a general OOB. And as Don and Andy have stated many times, OOB work is never done.
I'm not tearing up anything. I create the OOBs from scratch. I build in OOB 93 and then select an appropriate OOB to replace when the basic construction is complete. OOB work is never done, but for countries like the Dominican Republic and Haiti its pretty close at the first go. Laos to 1975 is also not going to change. I have continually be updating the Philippine OOB as more information becomes available. Will they ever be done 100%? Of course not. That's why its my hobby hehe.

Also, why create a country with only a handful of units? I think you can ask the same question of why the official game includes Uruguay, Paraguay, El Salavador and others.

Quote:
Skirmisher said:
The only benifet I can see is your way you'd get the offical flag for that nation. I'm not big on picklists as I usually purchase for the AI.
You also get a historically accurate OOB, instead of trying to pick and choose "what's closest" out of the Green OOB. That you're not a fan of the picklists doesn't meant they're not useful to others too.

I think the bottom line is, when I get around to it and release a Mexican OOB with picklist, you're perfectly welcome to continue using the Green OOB instead.
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Captain

Actually I dont bother using it now, so thanks anyways.

The bottom line really is Mexico isnt worth doing as they dont even have a military. I mean drug dealers are giving them all they can handle.
And Haiti? lol

And one more thing, how can you be 100% sure that everything your doing is historically accurate? As your doing things from various information sources and you weren't historically present?
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Captain

Quote:
Skirmisher said:
Actually I dont bother using it now, so thanks anyways.
So why are you bothering to post in this thread? For the sake of argument?

Quote:
The bottom line really is Mexico isnt worth doing as they dont even have a military. I mean drug dealers are giving them all they can handle.
And Haiti? lol
Haiti post-1994 perhaps, but Mexico has as much of military as Uruguay and El Salvador and they're included in the official game. I think you commentary on the Mexican military shows a distinct lack of understanding, as does the comment made by the other poster that the Mexican military is basically just a heavily armed internal security force. That the Mexican military has only been used to put down internal unrest since the Second World War, does not mean that it would be limited to that capacity should a traditional conflict break out.

Again, look at El Salvador (just one example likely of many), included in the stock game, which fought one war between 1945 and 1990, with a country not even included in the game. That conflict with Honduras was measured in days. Their forces have also only been seriously tested against domestic anti-government groups. I'm sure El Salvador's inclusion in the game is the product of one person taking the time to do it, and nothing more.

Quote:
And one more thing, how can you be 100% sure that everything your doing is historically accurate? As your doing things from various information sources and you weren't historically present?
How can anyone be sure of anything with that argument? I think you just like being contradictory.
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM

Captain

Ya I think it's for the sake of argument.

Your last answer at the bottom there was kinda lame though, dont you think?

Why don't you just accept vietnam the way the game has it setup? Why do you bother changing it?

Your OOB's are just your perception of how they should be thats all.