.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:55 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Troops vs magic, what am I doing wrong?

That's not an exploit, it's a small communion. Against anyone bar Abysia, getting the Master to do PoTS and Phoenix Power followed up by everybody spamming Falling Fires would cost less gems and quite possibly do more damage.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:35 AM

Corporal

Rookierookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpeters View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
Well the point is you take advantage of when the thugs are extremely efficient and avoid situations where they won't be efficient. If you're saying 4 took out an army of 100 light infantry with no casualties, that's not "about par". It would be "about par" for gold-efficiency if you lost 3 of them and the last one was crippled. Sidhe Lords are stealth and cloud trapeze capable and so can pick their fights fairly well.
Typically AI troops are poor quality, starving, etc., so if I come at an AI army of 100 troops with my 60 Principes I'll lose about 10. With the Sidhe Lords, I was losing about 1 every 2-3 battles. They're not indestructable until you give them the shield and sword combo, which pumps up their cost a bit.

As long as you attack where the enemy is weak and run away where he is strong, you really don't suffer too many casualties. The trouble is that when you're surrounded by 6 AI opponents all gunning for you there's few places to run and hide from his strength. Maybe I really should take up raiding.
That's why we play on 300 supplies.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregstrom View Post
That's not an exploit, it's a small communion. Against anyone bar Abysia, getting the Master to do PoTS and Phoenix Power followed up by everybody spamming Falling Fires would cost less gems and quite possibly do more damage.
I like the extra range on astral fires, it allows me to hit the archers the AI parks in the backfield. The AN damage seems a nice bonus too, along with slightly larger area effect.

You're right, though, that I could get away with one gem instead of three. Am I right in thinking that two gems won't work, because the AI will waste both on the first casting and have none left for the second? I guess I should just give it a try and see what happens
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:49 PM

Corporal

Rookierookie is on a distinguished road

Try these thugging options with E9N6 Sidhe Lords:

Option 1: Vine shield + Rainbow Armor. That's 20 gems.
Script Blessing, Air Shield, Mistform, Resist Lightning, Soothing Song, Cast spells

With Con-4, Alt-3 and Evo-2, your Sidhe Lords will cast Shock Wave which will wipe out AI chaff. You should have enough reinvig and regen from the bless to survive a long time, but you can also slap on the Ring of Regen and the Amulet of Resilience to help, or put on a Ring of Tamed Lightning and skip the Resist Lightning part, which brings the gem cost up a little. But the above setup can be mass produced and is quite survivable.

Options 2: Snake Bladder Stick + Vine Shield + Rainbow Armor. 25 gems.
Script Blessing, Resist Poison, Air Shield, Mistform, Soothing Song, Attack Closest.

Needs Con-4 and Alt-3, is a little easier on the fatigue, and will do bad things to non-poison immune troops. You can slap on a snake ring and spare yourself Resist Poison for another 5 gems, or additional reinvig/regen in a misc slot.

All these are achievable with relatively little research, can be mass produced, and the vine shield is the only thing that cannot be forged by the Sidhe Lords themselves (and you always have mages who can forge them).

Last edited by Rookierookie; May 2nd, 2010 at 02:10 PM..
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpeters View Post
I like the extra range on astral fires, it allows me to hit the archers the AI parks in the backfield. The AN damage seems a nice bonus too, along with slightly larger area effect.
Don't forget that Astral Fires is MR-negates, which can really cut down its effectiveness. But yeah, the range is great.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregstrom View Post
Don't forget that Astral Fires is MR-negates, which can really cut down its effectiveness. But yeah, the range is great.
I also just discovered that it's precision 100. SWEET!!! I think I'm sold.

Oh, BTW, it's official, the AI is an idiot. I decided to try and see what would happen if I gave my communion master only two pearls. Yup, he blows both pearls on casting PotS, and doesn't have a pearl left to cast LotNS. So three pearls is the only way to go with this strategy.

Nice thing about pearls is that they're plentiful -- it's cheap to turn any other gem into them!