The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old May 17th, 2005, 02:31 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Please Explain To Me How This Is Possible?

Please explain to me why I am the only one in my extended family who enjoys science fiction? Specifically Star Trek, Babylon 5, Farscape, BSG, etc.

It seems that everyone kinda likes star wars, but no one really cares about it. To them its like seeing a mildly enteraining movie of little or no consequence.

How many of you share my dilima? How many of you are the sole sci-fi fan in your entire family? Now I am not just talking about your mom, dad, and ciblings, I am talking about your extended family.

I am it for my extended family. I mean that, out of a hundred plus people I am the only one who likes Star Trek, B5, Farscape, etc.

Am I just weird or something?
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please Explain To Me How This Is Possible?

Yeah Atrocities what are you some kinda freak? j/k

I am almost the only person in my entire extended family. My Aunt is the only person besides me who really enjoys Sci-Fi.

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old May 17th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Corporal

Mudshark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Combat Wombat said:
Yeah Atrocities what are you some kinda freak? j/k

I am almost the only person in my entire extended family. My Aunt is the only person besides me who really enjoys Sci-Fi.
I have only met one female that even remotely likes Sci-Fi. Not a problem with other guys, seems most guys do like sci-fi. even if it only because things blow up...
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:36 AM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

yes you are at... most scf-fi sucks... horrible acting contrived stories...

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:51 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

I have the same sort of situation. Everybody around me thinks I'm weird that I've planned ahead of time to see Star Wars III on the opening night. Like you said, many people kind of like Star Wars, but it's like, yeah, maybe I'll rent it one day when the DVD comes out, kind of level of interest. They don't understand!
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

Phew, glad that I'm from a (non-extended) family that likes sci-fi. My parents both like it, and I don't have siblings, so that's an excellent situation. Also, one of my uncles likes sci-fi, but not as much as my (non-extended) family.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I am stunned that I am the only one in my entire family tree that likes sci-fi. No one else does, not one of them. In fact they shudder at the thought of it.

I ask you this, if sci-fi is so feared by the masses then why is it that most of the top ten movies of all time are sci-fi related. (I stated this very question many years ago and only now are others beginning to take notice of this.)
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:43 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm with you on this one AT, If I count my imediate family, mother, brother, and three sisters, I'm the only die-hard sci-fi fan.

With me at 100% fan status, the others in the brood are as follows..

My Brother is about a 84% fan of Sci-Fi, but his tastes seem to favor the 'British' type Sci-Fi.. Dr Who, Red Dwarf, HitchHikers etc.

My 3 Sisters combined rate Sci-fi at about 15% One of my sisters is a Stephen King Fanatic. (I can't stand the guy and his writing style is too dry) Mind you a few of his books made into movies turned out not too bad. The other Two sisters are stuck on Romantic comedies and any movies with actors like Hugh Grant, Brad Pit, Jonny Depp and such 'leaing-hunk' type actors.

My Mom is about a 10% fan of Sci-Fi. (She's a 300% fan of Mystery type movies and TV like Agatha Christie, Murder She Wrote, Alfred Hitchcock, etc.

My taste in films is Sci-Fi first, followed by Action films, Comedies, Westerns, and any others rounding out the list. On TV I'm a big fan of things like the History Chanel, Discovery Civilization, and Home Improvement type shows.

Nuf said, Cheers!
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I guess that was true for me also. BUT NOW my wife runs the sections in the local Barnes and Noble that handle things like DnD, Manga, Computers. Plus she DM's on the weekends. My mother-in-law, my brothers and sisters in law, my kids, all of them are scifi and fantasy aholics. Heck my Son and his Fiance are planning a medieval/renaissance stype wedding (so obviously we are about to add yet another fantasy freak to the family
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 1st, 2005, 09:00 AM

Private

tigertunes is on a distinguished road

They all really love Scifi , they are planning a huge suprise party for you with all the cast members of your favourite series