.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Development > All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy
Notices

Old March 29th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Corporal

Joe 98 is on a distinguished road
Default Silent Storm

Below is an extract of a review I just read of a new game called Silent Storm.

I have not played the game and it seems there is no demo. But the game ought to appeal to fans of 101st Airborne.

And it has already been released!

Silent Storm.........perhaps it has more roots in an old board game called Ambush!, which was a solitaire game that had the player controlling a squad of US soldiers........that moved over a map, interacted with the environment, and fought off numerous Axis attacks. Silent Storm is much the same thing........a unique World War II tactical combat simulator, with battles strung together through a logical (if slightly unbelievable) plot.

Combat is, then, about 95% of this game............there is quite a bit of micromanagement when it comes to controlling the squad during one. The soldiers under the player’s command can be manipulated to do any number of things: run, walk, go prone, kneel, open and climb through a window, hop over a wall; if it can be thought of, they can do it, and the resulting tactical choices bring a lot of options.

..........enemy AI is effective and uses the environment to the utmost (and sometimes most frustrating) effect.

The game is driven by the mouse, with the keyboard coming into play in some specialty situations ....................................... Most actions are defined on screen by clicking an action, clicking on an object to interact with, and watching the result.
Combat is more or less automatic as far as options are concerned, and simply clicking on an enemy soldier will allow a player to engage it.

Of course, there is a myriad of things to worry about before letting loose; the soldier’s stance has a great effect on accuracy, as does their method of fire. Terrain can have an effect, as well as any injuries the shooting soldier is enduring. But, essentially, clicking to interact with the environment is the basic activity in this game, and it works well.
Old March 29th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Silent Storm

I own it.

You could most likely compare it to Jagged Alliance in WW2. A nice features is the physics engine, I haven't seen something like it in a strategy game before. You can use your MG to bLast trough walls. However, the wall section wont disappear like in other games. Individual bricks will start to disappear, forming a small hole at the beginning that keeps getting bigger and bigger the more you shoot trough the hole

If it wasn't for the stupid story, I would highly recommend it.
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:25 PM

Private

Sean Murphy is on a distinguished road

I have Silent Storm. A very fun game. Decent graphics but the zoom & rotate can be a little hard to control. It can be a little of a memory hog. There is an RPG aspect to the development of the characters.

The plot is a little odd ~ it gets into some sci-fi type of stuff. An expansion is planned. There is a demo available. Most of the major game sites like Gamespot or Avault should have it.
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:23 AM

Sergeant

Ed Marshall is on a distinguished road

The Silent Storm physics are astounding, and the graphics are good, too. It's a fun game to play, but it lacks the realism of 101st. Bullets react with the terrain in a realistic fashion, destroying things and ritcochetting, but, once they hit a person, the realism stops. I've seen way to many guys withstand 2-3 hits to the head with a 30-06 and still keep fighting in this game.
It's kinda goofy. Just waiting on a realism mod before I play it again. Or 82nd, whichever comes first.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:09 AM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

I would have liked the story with allies as good and nazis as bad guys.

However, introducing a third, even more sinister force to allow the nazis to be the good guys is simply ridiculous.

Thumps down.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Private

Berg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinzMegaherz:
However, introducing a third, even more sinister force to allow the nazis to be the good guys is simply ridiculous.
[/QB]
Question for all:
If some small country was in war with Russia before WW2 and choose to fight in German uniform to keep Russians away from it's country, does this make this nation also *evil-nazi-scum*?

For example Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania...

[ May 26, 2004, 08:14: Message edited by: Berg ]