.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 24th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Private

Paulo_Vicente is on a distinguished road
Default Can I queue orders for future turns?

Hello everyone, I've got a small question about the interface and movement.
Is there a key or a command that lets you queue several movement orders for future turns?
Can I "build" a route for an army going from my capital to the front instead of giving it a movement order each turn?
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can I queue orders for future turns?

No.

You can make some rituals auto-cast monthly by using the "M" hotkey when a mage is selected, but no other order that isn't monthly by default (like research, preach, blood hunt, etc) can be queued.

Really though, pathing reinforcements is pretty quick and easy compared to everything else that goes into a turn, so it's not that big a deal.
Old October 25th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Private

RobO is on a distinguished road

I'd certainly like to be able to specify a move command into any accessible territory, even if it lasted several turns. My dominion doesn't have to be all that large before I forget where I intended an army to go from one turn to the next. Esp. if I have to do something else between turns. I think this is very close to being "Need to have".

Being able to specify combined commands is "Nice to have", not "Need to have". For example: Go to that province, then Search.
Old October 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

The problem with province based movement and queueing movement commands is that if an event happens in a province so that its ownership changes (barbarians, vinemen etc) or someone else conquers it, all commanders and their units which would move thorugh that province would have to have their movement orders reset, especially if their strategic move would allow them to normally bypass that province instead of having it as the destination of a turn.

I suspect coding the path determination algorithm would not be trivial since you also need to account for terrain, strat move of units in the army etc.

Games like Heroes of Might and Magic, Age of Wonders etc had it different, since the movement system is different and blocked paths are easier to check with fairly simple algorithms. You could do similar shifting path algorithms as those games, but this is something that Johan K would need to do and I suspect it falls into the category of "not interesting". That means its likelihood of being implemented is low. As I recall, vectoring has been asked for in the past with no result.
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Private

Well, there are ways around that - e.g. requiring the player to select a destination for each move (using Alt+Click or something like that). Ofc. you should only be able to do this through friendly provinces. And resetting the move if an intermediate destination changes hands, or if the unit enters combat, is fine with me (or keep it simple and let the player deal with that). This should remove the need for coding a pathfinding algorithm.

I just want to have the game remember the destination of each unit that has a way to go for me.
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Exactly, we do not need any pathfinding. If someone wants move orders for 10 turns he must give separate 10 orders, step by step. I would also want to queue constructing magic items.

LA Agartha guide
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Queuing of various kinds has been asked for many times, but never delivered. I dont think you should get your hopes up
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Private

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
Queuing of various kinds has been asked for many times, but never delivered. I dont think you should get your hopes up
Well, it doesn't hurt to voice another opinion. And it would make playing the game a good deal easier.